JustinCM

Reaction score
I recently changed a clients address and name on their Google My Business page. they were using the incorrect address listing the wrong city and not listing the specific suite that they were located in. I also added a long, unique, descriptive description to the about section along with links to their Facebook page, Yelp, and Merchant Circle page. At the same time I was doing this, I began correcting existing citations and building new ones on quality (top 50-esque) sites. I also chose more relevant categories to their service offerings (they are a service based business that does business at their customers location and not at their own). Here's what happened:

f44a2bf663.png

The past few days, their views just dropped off completely. I am not sure if this is normal considering the above changes or if it's more likely a penalty. I've never seen the views drop off entirely.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Hi Justin,

Sorry your client's ranking dropped.

Impossible to guess without looking at the listing. If you can post a link we can look in more detail.

But without seeing listing, just based on your comments, here are a couple thoughts.

Any time you change name or address, you break NAP and it can cause lost ranking.
In this case it sounds like you changed both. Plus if city changed that's a biggie.

Sounds like you changed everything in existing dash? Have you done a thorough search for the old name/address to see if Google created a dupe? If so, should mark it as relocated instead of having a live dupe out there.

Last but not least, insights often drop off like that, so you can't use that as your only indicator.
Could be a data glitch which happens often.

So how has ranking changed? That might be a better indicator of what's up.

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Hi Justin, thanks for PMing me the link but as I explained I don't offer private support for free. I only do free support in the forum, so that all the time I take to analyze and explain can hopefully help more than one person.

So I'll give you some quick feedback here without mentioning client name or link.

I don't have time at all for a deep dive and like I said likely between address and name change that created issues.

I also added a long, unique, descriptive description to the about section along with links to their Facebook page, Yelp, and Merchant Circle page.

But the other thing I noticed immediately is a description that could cause a ranking penalty. I've seen 10 point ranking penalties or greater many times for GMB descriptions that have heavy repetition of city and KWs. In fact I've seen penalties when city was only repeated 2 times. (This is one of the many things I go into detail about in my training to help consultants avoid problems like this.)

On this client NYC is repeated 10 times, business name 9 times, New York a couple times and limo and other keywords several times.

Plus we know Google is sensitive to anchor link text and you have 4 links with the exact same anchor text: "Business name - Professional 3 word KW string NYC". Those links should not have heavy KW anchor text and def not all the same. But again the main thing is repeating name, city and KWs.

So that whole description I'm afraid would look spammy to the algo.
The description is not a ranking factor so does not help to load it up with keywords.

Since this could be part of the penalty if there is one, I would strip it down to 1 -2 short paragraphs. Don't think KWs, think conversions. What makes this one stand out so customers would pick it over another? Do not repeat city or business name.

I've seen listings pop right back after they clean it up. But I've seen others that had excessive KW repetition like this stay penalized for 5 months. I can show you an example right here on the forum of one that was similar and the penalty lasted for 5 months.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Nikki Stine GMB for Gun Shop pulls in 'FFL Transfer Fee' pricing from a Facebook Post. Is this normal? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 4
Eric Marshall 3-pack ranking discrepancies in private vs normal browsing Google My Business & Google Maps 18
djbaxter Google My Business Bug Dropping SAB Businesses In Independence, Kansas Service Area Businesses 1
R Facebook reviews dropped to 0; Google filtering reviews temporarily? Local Reviews 2
Ben Walsh The client won't drop it with disavowing links Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4
Y Whenever I publish update for my local business, my local rankings drop for 3-4 days Local Search 1
Zhanna Which tracker shows correct data? Massive drop down in rankings in one of the trackers Help & Support for Google Local 3
Tyler Hammer GMB Photo Views Dropped Sep 1st Help & Support for Google Local 8
N DUP Main keywords Unexpectedly dropped Recycle Bin 4
N Would changing the main business category drop a GMB rankings significantly or at all if it's in the same industry? Local Content 7
MKubot Listing Drop Off Google Duplicates & Merges 4
J Zip code change cause rankings drop? Covid posts? Google Algorithm Discussions 3
R COVID19 Banner Caused Drop In GMB Local Search 1
K Claimed a Listing, Went to 404 Then Dropped 5 Dupes in Dash Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Y Sudden GMB Ranking Drop for all keywords Google My Business & Google Maps 7
S February GMB Insights-HUGE DROP Google Algorithm Discussions 8
S Searches dropped way down for new listing Local Search 0
Michael Charvet Google Dropping Reviews for Education Institutions? Local Reviews 2
Lanerizz Significant drop of GMB listing views Help & Support for Google Local 9
V Massive drop overnight on GMB Google My Business & Google Maps 2
L Big Drop in the number of new reviews made by customers Local Reviews 1
MarianoF Trending [November 5, 2019 Local Algorithm Update] Unexplained big drops in GMB rankings Google Algorithm Discussions 216
IMP Map Ranking Drop Google My Business & Google Maps 3
JoshuaMackens Interesting Client Drop - Google Maps Local Search 7
djbaxter Link drop BipperMedia Warnings and Bans 0
eshad Seen a big drop in views on GMB insights? Local Search 19
vinchenson Changed to SAB and Traffic Dropped Big Time Recycle Bin 0
S Sudden organic drop after a year of stability Organic SEO 12
ForwardMotion Changed to SAB and Traffic Dropped Big Time Service Area Businesses 26
J Drop to 0 in views and actions over the weekend (3/29-4/1) Google My Business & Google Maps 4
L March 5th Precipitous Drop Google Local 101 3
S Organic drop with server down? Organic SEO 10
S Rankings Drop After Changing Alt Text Images?? Organic SEO 10
georgebizpro Client moved, been updating citations but rankings dropping Google My Business & Google Maps 8
J Ranking dropped Google Algorithm Discussions 8
iFuse Client Drops Bomb Local Search 4
JoyHawkins Massive Drops in Search Console for Sites Using UTM Codes in GMB Local Search 21
vivekrpatel Essentially the Issue: Same Website for a Different Country Sudden Ranking Drop Local Search 4
C Most Likely Ranking Factor Dropped Me Out of 3-Pack? Local Search 3
L Analysing a google local ranking drop and how to fix it ? Local Search 2
A Rankings only dropped in maps & 3-pack, can't find the culprit. Help & Support for Google Local 16
B Changed domains and rankings dropped. Any ideas? Local Search 3
P Could i have some advice on a recent drop in rankings on a clients site Local Search 4
Tim Colling SEM Post: Google Local 3-Pack Drops Organic Listing for Local Ad Local Search 0
obcted Sudden Steep Drop + Strange Happenings Local Search 9
Nick Rink Help needed - Maps rankings drop Help & Support for Google Local 6
R New Site Drop in Organic Traffic No Drop in Rankings Organic SEO 11
Marcus Sudden big drop in ranking Local Search 13
rmorgan Rafting Company wants drop sites along river to show up in maps, not main office Local Search 6
E Link drop-low quality Recycle Bin 1