More threads by MarianoF

We control a site that had ranked number one for several years in various keyword combinations, now tanked almost across the board. We were suspended earlier this year for an alleged virtual office, which we disproved after submitting all kinds of evidence that we had a real office (but we are on the same *floor* as a Da Vinci office, in a large building). Does anyone think there could be a correlation between offices in these locations and rank drop? We are not currently suspended.

Not from what I see. I have a legit listing that is in a Regus. The listing KP actually says, located in Regus. They needed to show proof, etc. They have done exceedingly well with this update so far.

Not from what I see. I have a legit listing that is in a Regus. The listing KP actually says, located in Regus. They needed to show proof, etc. They have done exceedingly well with this update so far.
Okay thank you very much for sharing.

We are not even visible in search for two of the most competitive searches. Is anyone seeing anything indicating there is still volatility or is this the new permanent situation?

So we just went from not visible in search for two of our most competitive phrases to the top spot in a couple of hours. We saw lots of fluctuation over the weekend, from not visible to number one, to back down. The fun continues...

Yes. It's all over the place. My quick look at a few SERPs is not at all conclusive. Just food for thought.

My HOPE is that it's category dependent. I hope that Google has stopped making proximity such a strong signal for SABs. Their physical location is not something the user cares about. They are just looking for the best painter, plumber, pest control technician, etc. Proximity should be dialed down for SABs and the results should be more based on relevance and prominence.

If you have a strong GMB (authority) you won't need to worry much about proximity. I actually like when google does this, makes it more challenging for single businesses to dominate an entire city. The word "Best" as a keyword can be manipulated in the serps. Sometimes there are way better services that aren't ranking anywhere near the top 10, yet they are unheard of because their marketing sucks. Best plumber can be a 30 year old company that is spread through word of mouth, but hardly any presence online.

Alright, I've been trying a few different things out, not drastic changes (even though I wanted to because I am in panic mode on a few gmbs that dropped from 1 to 3 to 5 to 8).

Joy helped me with a client in San Diego where there was a duplicate gmb that we had no idea of. This customer on Nov 7th dropped to spot 64 from top 3 pack. Once that was removed and I changed our service locations and did a little keyword editing on the site, we are back to main keyword in 3 pack.

A client in Las Vegas, dropped to 18th spot. No duplicate listings, etc. I edited the schema mark up, changed service locations in GMB, went down to 2 categories from 4 categories, changed site title and description, andddd removed address from GMB to change to SAB. Updated all citations with service areas and no address and added meta tag for every zip code the biz services on the site. Today it is ranking for main keywords in 254 spots 1 to 3 today from only 29 a few days ago.

Could this have helped or am I just delusional and this update is still working itself out and helped with the boost?

Attachments

• GEOMAPY Dashboard (4).pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 645
Alright, I've been trying a few different things out, not drastic changes (even though I wanted to because I am in panic mode on a few gmbs that dropped from 1 to 3 to 5 to 8).

Joy helped me with a client in San Diego where there was a duplicate gmb that we had no idea of. This customer on Nov 7th dropped to spot 64 from top 3 pack. Once that was removed and I changed our service locations and did a little keyword editing on the site, we are back to main keyword in 3 pack.

A client in Las Vegas, dropped to 18th spot. No duplicate listings, etc. I edited the schema mark up, changed service locations in GMB, went down to 2 categories from 4 categories, changed site title and description, andddd removed address from GMB to change to SAB. Updated all citations with service areas and no address and added meta tag for zip codes on the site. Today it is ranking for main keywords in 254 spots 1 to 3 today from only 29 a few days ago.

Could this have helped or am I just delusional and this update is still working itself out and helped with the boost?

You could have literally done nothing and you'd get the same results. Wait it out if you're in panic mode and not sure what you're doing.

I should note, I wasn't sure geomapy was 100% accurate so I did a test today. I am also located in Las Vegas so drove around to 15 different zip codes clearing history and putting on precise location and all rankings were what the report was showing.

We have two locations 50 miles apart, both tanked earlier this month, but are now coming back. We use Local Falcon for checking our ranking.

I am seeing a LOT of new spammy SABs showing up in actual local search results, but they won't appear in tools that rely only upon the Maps API.

I am seeing a LOT of new spammy SABs showing up in actual local search results, but they won't appear in tools that rely only upon the Maps API.

That's probably because the Maps API doesn't pick up on any SABs with hidden addresses and most spam listings use that format.

That was my point, Joy. If folks use the Maps API-based tools to gauge their "recovery" or "loss" in rankings, then they may not be seeing the full picture.

Here is an interesting look at about 6K locations all over the USA. for one brand. Notice the drop in rankings and then increase and then stabilizing back to where they were before.

PS Stat Search Analytics rocks!

6klocations.jpg

When the local update initially hit, 2 of my local companies saw a significant hit in their map pack visibility before it returned to normal after 2-3 days.

However, over the past 2-3 days, they have taken yet another hit to go back to where they were before the "Rebound." Anyone else seeing tremendous gains/losses in map results over the past 2-3 days?

When the local update initially hit, 2 of my local companies saw a significant hit in their map pack visibility before it returned to normal after 2-3 days.

However, over the past 2-3 days, they have taken yet another hit to go back to where they were before the "Rebound." Anyone else seeing tremendous gains/losses in map results over the past 2-3 days?

Yes. Same thing happened to us. We had been at #1 for multiple competitive phrases for several years. Then we dropped to spots ranging from about 6-12 (then briefly not even visible in search for one or two phrases). Then we went back up to #1 or #2 for all phrases, for about one day. Then this past Monday evening we went back down to about the same drop -- and those now on the top 3 are the same as when we dropped the first time. So this is starting to feel permanent.

I read Joy's article about sitewide relevancy. It's hard to imagine a local site with more relevant content than ours, and we have a very good writer, experienced in the field, who develops the content. If relevancy is the issue, then Google isn't recognizing related subtopics.

It has been a mixed picture for me taking a multinational with locations in lots of different countries

The locations in Europe are seeing the fluctuations that everyone else is describing with drops in rankings followed by gains followed by a drop in the last few days

However my locations in Africa are yet to see a similar impact which makes me think this might be phased Bedlam

What do others think

Yes. Same thing happened to us. We had been at #1 for multiple competitive phrases for several years. Then we dropped to spots ranging from about 6-12 (then briefly not even visible in search for one or two phrases). Then we went back up to #1 or #2 for all phrases, for about one day. Then this past Monday evening we went back down to about the same drop -- and those now on the top 3 are the same as when we dropped the first time. So this is starting to feel permanent.

I read Joy's article about sitewide relevancy. It's hard to imagine a local site with more relevant content than ours, and we have a very good writer, experienced in the field, who develops the content. If relevancy is the issue, then Google isn't recognizing related subtopics.

All of this is exactly still happening on our end also. One day massive gains, next day massive drop.

All of this is exactly still happening on our end also. One day massive gains, next day massive drop.

So tonight's report: slight improvement to #3 in one of the four keyword phrases we have always closely tracked, on mobile. Remainder of searches on mobile still low. But, in an interesting twist, we have the same rankings when we check the laptop in our home office (low for three searches, in number 3 for one search, which we still consider low). But when we check the laptop in our living room, we are back to number one for all four search phrases. We have refreshed all of the above and nothing changes.

This is a super freaky update!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom