More threads by JoyHawkins

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Local Search Expert
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
We were chatting about this internally yesterday and I thought I'd share here to get everyone's thoughts.

Google is showing snippets from blogs/articles businesses are mentioned in directly in the Google Maps search results as shown below:

1579265115927.png

The list doesn't have any fancy markup or even list the business address or phone number: Canada Foodie Bucket List: 21 Dishes To Try Before You Die

This is how it looks on mobile:
1579265168768.png

I'm curious if anyone has been able to get a new one to appear or if you've seen them for any other industries outside of food & entertainment?

I think on mobile the labels are explanatory and it's not as weird, on a desktop to just inject a link that doesn't really or convey that it contains information that would help someone choose a coffee shop seems so odd.

@Dave DiGregorio pointed out that the article does have a brand mention of the biz it's associated with, so "Yeay Unstructured Citations "🥂 - just wish Google labeled that a bit better on the desktop search :)

I found it interesting that the referencing article doesn't even have any structured data for a itemList.

Aside: I can vouch for #2 on that list. Rain or Shine ice cream is to die for.

@JoyHawkins I have seen instances of this in other categories.

I have published a Google Post using keyword(s) that we don't actively track and are not core to our business (promoting blog content). Within 15 minutes the Google Post 'snippet' was displaying with Local Pack results on desktop for that searched keyword(s). Our organization was pulled into the Local Pack for a term completely unrelated to our business offerings. Clearly not the best experience for the user but it was fun to see!

Hopefully, this explanation makes sense! I'm unable to find the screenshot. If I do I'll be sure to post.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom