More threads by MonicaH

MonicaH

Reaction score
I'm struggling with one client to get their phone # added. GMB keeps crossing it out and I see this message - "This location has updated information from Google users or other sources. Review these published updates to make sure that they're accurate." The only edit I can see is the crossed out phone #.

This is the real phone # of the business and it's on their website. They have a physical address and are verified. I've tried multiple ways to add the phone #, including suggesting the edit directly in the knowledge panel while logged into a different account. Nothing "takes".

Is there something I can do to resolve this?

@MonicaH, I know it's on the site, but is the phone number also in the footer (or otherwise on every page) and more prominent than the number that Google keeps picking?

I wonder to what extent the phone number you prefer is competing (on your site) with the number Google seems to like. Google's auto-updates seem driven by the crawlable info on your site, particularly on your landing page, I've found.

It sounds like you might have a 3rd party tool connected to your listing that is overwriting this. You can see what apps currently have access to change your account here: Sign in - Google Accounts. Look for things listed under the third-party apps section that say they have access to manage business listings.

@MonicaH, I know it's on the site, but is the phone number also in the footer (or otherwise on every page) and more prominent than the number that Google keeps picking?

I wonder to what extent the phone number you prefer is competing (on your site) with the number Google seems to like. Google's auto-updates seem driven by the crawlable info on your site, particularly on your landing page, I've found.
Thanks for the response, Phil. The issue I'm having is that Google is removing the phone # entirely - there is no phone number showing up on GMB. On the website, there's only one number and it's everywhere (header, footer, pages). It's also the same phone number used across all other listings.

@MonicaH

Can you post a thread on the GMB forum (Sign in - Google Accounts) and DM me the link to the thread? I'd be happy to send it to Google for you. Please include

1. Your business name & address.
2. The phone number that keeps getting removed.

It sounds like you might have a 3rd party tool connected to your listing that is overwriting this. You can see what apps currently have access to change your account here: Sign in - Google Accounts. Look for things listed under the third-party apps section that say they have access to manage business listings.
Never thought of that! It looks like Bing Places for Business and Yext both have access to "See, edit, create and delete your Google business listings". Could that be the problem? Although why GMB would keep completely removing the phone number escapes me... wouldn't it suggest whatever's in Bing or Yext?

Never thought of that! It looks like Bing Places for Business and Yext both have access to "See, edit, create and delete your Google business listings". Could that be the problem? Although why GMB would keep completely removing the phone number escapes me... wouldn't it suggest whatever's in Bing or Yext?
Generally, it would replace it, but I would try removing Yext and Bing from GMB first and then see if that solves the issue. If it doesn't, post on the GMB forum and I can escalate it (per the post above).

@MonicaH, what Joy suggested may do the trick, but if you DM me the page with the vanishing phone number I'd be glad to send in a Maps edit and see if that sticks.

Hey all - I am having the exact same issue. I have a GMB with a cell phone and we've been trying to change it to a Google Voice number. Every time we change the cell number to secondary and the Google Voice to primary Google strikes out the Google Voice number, waits 10-minutes and reinstates the cell as the primary and puts the Google Voice number as the secondary.

I check for any apps that might be overriding this and didn't see any.

Thanks,
Bryan

Thank you, Joy. I must be submitting my support tickets wrong. I've been going to g.co/contactgmb and following the prompts. However, I never get any follow-up. I submit a ticket, get an automated reply, wait for 1-week, and get zero follow-up. I submit another ticket and go through the same process.

It's been over a month on this issue, as it has been for so many of my clients with GMB issues.

Would it make a difference if I do the Agency Signup on GMB?

Thanks!
Bryan

Can you post a thread on the GMB forum (Sign in - Google Accounts) and DM me the link to the thread? I'd be happy to send it to Google for you. Please include

1. Your business name & address
2. The case ID for the cases you've sent to Google so far.
3. Specify the phone number you are trying to add to the listing that keeps getting rejected and why it's different than the one on there currently.

Hey @JoyHawkins - So apparently, I've reached my limit for posting into the Google Community. Each time I try to add this post for you I get the error "You've reached limit for posting. Please try again later." :(

Bryan

Bryan,

Did you just recently register your Google account? That's the only thing I can think of that might cause this.

It's been within the past few weeks, yes. I'll let it rest and try again in the AM and let you know.

Thank you so much for your replies!

Bryan

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom