Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
I know many of you have been struggling with that baffling issue of what to charge for your services and with the start of the new year that may be weighing heavily on your mind.

Although the post below is not specific to local search consulting fees, I thought it had some really great points to consider, so wanted to share.

At the end he goes into something I've talked about here in the Consultant's Corner a couple times - sometimes you just need to turn business away or fire clients who are not profitable or want a low price.

Getting Your Pricing Right

How do you best determine the price to charge customers?

Do you look at the competition and price the same as they do? Undercut them a little? What happens if you do undercut them, then the customer still demands further discounts?

Pricing can be difficult to get right. We don?t know exactly how much the other party is prepared to pay, but we need customers in order to sustain and grow our businesses. So how do we ensure money is not left on the table, yet we still make the sale?

This guide looks at a few fundamental pricing techniques, ideas and strategies. We'll look at how to avoid getting caught in the ?race to the bottom? scenario of endless price cutting.

What do you think? And good points that helped you?

Let's get a discussion going about fee structures.

David Deering

Reaction score
Great topic for a thread, Linda. I'm still trying to figure out a good pricing structure myself, but I do feel that you should at least factor in what other similar companies are charging and go from there. You want to charge what the market will bear, as they say, but not get too crazy. On the other hand, I think it's important not to try to outbid your competition by being the cheapest out there. Research has shown time and again that when potential customers compare prices, they translate low prices with low quality and high prices with high quality. So we have to learn where that balance is.

But if you do good work and you are honest and ethical and know that you will get results for your clients, then by all means charge more than your competitors. Your clients will be willing to pay it if they trust you and feel confident that they will see a high return on their investment. So in my opinion, it all starts by selling yourself and your skills through talking and asking questions and sharing knowledge. Once potential clients see your expertise, they will be more than willing to pay for your services, even if you are higher than your competitors.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Nikki Stine GMB for Gun Shop pulls in 'FFL Transfer Fee' pricing from a Facebook Post. Is this normal? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 4
NexstarNickR Google Local Service Ads: Price Increases due to Bidding Rollout Paid Search and Local Service Ads 3
Mmclean07 Pricing question Consultant's Corner 3
S Yext and the $400 price tag to edit NAP Local Search 6
Garrett Sussman [New Free eBook] The Agency Profit-Boosting Secrets To Pricing Review Management Local Reviews 0
Garrett Sussman Gradeus Product Update: New Plans, New Features, New Prices Local Reviews 2
Tim Sweeney Adwords Price Extensions - Show How Much Services And Products Cost Paid Search and Local Service Ads 1
Linda Buquet Good SEO: How Much Does it Cost? What are the Pricing Models? via The Next Web Consultant's Corner 1
Jared How Do You Justify Premium Pricing To A Client? Consultant's Corner 2
D Pricing and Potential Consultant's Corner 2
jvaquino Price Updated for MozLocal Local SEO Tools & Software 3
Linda Buquet Moz Local Updates + Price Increase Coming Local SEO Tools & Software 7
Bishop Can you put price of service in Google + Business title? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Weve Got Your Customers Game: Price Range for Services Local Search 6
C Local SEO Pricing Models Consultant's Corner 21
Don Berthiaume Moving the "A" in NAP - Process & Pricing Consultant's Corner 17
Kayla Adam What Strategy Should Been Used for My Wellness Clinic Local Search 5
Ben Walsh 2 location business onpage strategy, homepage vs service pages vs location pages Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 5
H Multi-Location Content Strategy Google Local 101 6
mhuber Is this geotagging strategy correct? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
SteinCoffee How to design content strategy to avoid filtering? Organic SEO 1
Ted J. Backlink Strategy for Brick and Mortar Gift Shop Local Search 19
David Wu Strategies to expand geographic coverage of my Google local search (3 pack) Local Search 29
Garrett Sussman 3 New Local Marketing Strategies That Agencies Can Use for Clients Local Reviews 2
Garrett Sussman Agency Strategy: Providing Managed vs. Self-Service Marketing Solutions Local Reviews 2
Garrett Sussman 3 Strategies For Prospecting Online Review Management Clients Local Reviews 2
CharlotteSEOExpert On-Page Local SEO Strategy for Quicker Rankings Local Search 0
Adam Potaznik Strategy: Where is the money to be made in 2018? Local Search 1
Garrett Sussman Location Marketing: Catchy Buzzword or Essential Marketing Strategy? Local Reviews 2
Garrett Sussman Mapping the Local Online Review Strategy That Every B2B Needs Local Reviews 9
vivekrpatel Marketing Strategy for Local Business Local Search 2
Garrett Sussman Local Search vs. Universal Search: Are You Choosing the Wrong Strategy? Local Reviews 0
Garrett Sussman 5 Local Marketing Strategies for Non-Local Businesses Local Reviews 0
Garrett Sussman 6 Sites to Target: What's Your Agency's Online Review Strategy? Local Reviews 2
R Citation Strategy For When One Company Buys another Business? Citations 10
Tim Sweeney Retirement Strategies For Businesses With Established Local Search Presence Consultant's Corner 0
Garrett Sussman 5 Tips to Strengthen Your Reputation Management Strategy and Boost Your SEO Local Reviews 0
Garrett Sussman Get More Reviews: How to Craft a Review Management Strategy for Your Clients Local Reviews 2
L What strategies do you use to increase customer reviews on your client's Google page? Local Reviews 8
S Content Creation strategy for franchises in a single website Local Content 7
S Content Creation strategy for franchises in a single website Local Content 7
Jim Froling Best Strategy For Re-Branding??? Local Search 3
JustinB How Buzzfeed Runs Their Social Media Strategy Mobile & Social 2
James Watt No BS Guide to Backlinks: 7 strategies Google loves Google My Business & Google Maps 13
C Let's talk listing strategy - multiple brands at a single location Local Search 7
P Operating a local directory as a marketing strategy? Consultant's Corner 19
Dustybones What is Your Local Search Strategy? Is it Diversified? Local Search 1
CodyBaird Frequency of Google Reviews & Complete Review Strategy in a Nutshell Local Reviews 7
Tim Colling Client with Multiple Locations - Organic and Local SEO strategy? Local Search 8
D A linking /social strategy to add traffic and customers: Diversify from the Pack Local Search 1