More threads by rwerner

rwerner

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Can you help me with a question related to the article How to Get Images in Mobile Search Results - Sterling Sky Inc
A plugin like Yoast has the open graph (social) tab with the Facebook-image, which I saw is used for mobile SERP's as well.
What is the relation, for Mobile SERP's, between the square image as mentioned in the article and the rectangle image of the Facebook-image on the social tab?

Regards,
Raymond

Hey Raymond,

I didn't actually test using the Yoast plugin (that was @Blake Denman's tip) but you definitely need a square image to be able to control how it shows and increase the likeliness that Google shows it. So I would assume that the rectangle image is simply for Facebook and shouldn't impact this. I'll see if Blake can chime in.

Hi guys,

Can you help me with a question related to the article How to Get Images in Mobile Search Results - Sterling Sky Inc
A plugin like Yoast has the open graph (social) tab with the Facebook-image, which I saw is used for mobile SERP's as well.
What is the relation, for Mobile SERP's, between the square image as mentioned in the article and the rectangle image of the Facebook-image on the social tab?

Regards,
Raymond
Hi Raymond,

If you’re using Yoast, set a featured image in the page or post. Yoast will add the schema type PrimaryImageOfPage.
Be careful, some themes will display that photo in the header of the page/post. It it does, you can manually add the schema type via Google Tag Manager but you would need to build the schema out for each page/post.

Google has been showing a town-based image that I have on each of my town-based landing pages inside of the mobile organic search results for years. I never really thought about the size or aspect ratio until I read what Joy said above. I just looked and all of my images are rectangular on the landing page but in the results they show as square. Google cuts the sides off.

Hey Raymond,

I didn't actually test using the Yoast plugin (that was @Blake Denman's tip) but you definitely need a square image to be able to control how it shows and increase the likeliness that Google shows it. So I would assume that the rectangle image is simply for Facebook and shouldn't impact this. I'll see if Blake can chime in.
Thanks Joy. I have seen that the initial self picked image by Google has been replaced by the open-graph image of the Facebook part in the social tab of Yoast.

Hi Raymond,

If you’re using Yoast, set a featured image in the page or post. Yoast will add the schema type PrimaryImageOfPage.
Be careful, some themes will display that photo in the header of the page/post. It it does, you can manually add the schema type via Google Tag Manager but you would need to build the schema out for each page/post.
Blake, when using Yoast and the featured image, my experience is that Google uses the Yoast "thumbnail" of the selected image (which is square in shape) even when the original image may not be square. Do you recommend that the original image be square or is the Yoast thumbnail used by Google? Thanks!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom