More threads by julie-b

julie-b

Reaction score
I have already brought this problem to the community (Client's business profile suddenly not visible on desktop and dropped significantly on mobile - Google Business Profile Community)

My locksmith client's profile (KLS Locks) is no longer visible at all on desktop (although his profile is not suspended) and it has dropped over 30 places on mobile. Before this issue, he was usually appearing ~ #2 on desktop and mobile for 'locksmith Orpington'. He is a service area business with no address visible.

When I brought this problem to the community (Client's business profile suddenly not visible on desktop and dropped significantly on mobile - Google Business Profile Community), it was suggested that maybe because he has another business profile (Google Maps) the service area locations may be overlapping and causing a problem. I have tried to separate out the service areas to rule this out. However, my client was getting very worried about the large drop in business and decided to remove the second GBP (Google Maps)

I'm just worried that there's still something wrong with his main profile. He is losing a lot of business because of this and would be very grateful for your help.

Attachments

• kls locks.txt
    256 bytes · Views: 180
Last edited:
Your issue sounds a lot more like a business that is filtered which is pretty common after an algorithm update.

Oh lord, you're right. He's been filtered. The number two slot is now a different firm at the same address. Any indications why this would have suddenly happened? Is there anything he can do other than relocate? A push for reviews at that location perhaps?

Last edited:
Hey everyone, Schieler here from ServiceLifter!

I know there's been some very popular discussion lately regarding SABs falling off of Google! Currently, we manage over 220 GBPs and are seeing it on six of them. Multiple companies are also coming to us and asking for help to get them back into the map section. I've included pictures below from local Viking of two companies' scans for their branded search terms.

So far, between the listings that have vanished, I have found some common factors:

1. Even if the address was cleared, all GBPs that have gone missing had a residential/virtual office/PO box address attached to it at one point. We know that Google keeps the address in the back-end even when cleared so I'm wondering if this has less to do with an error and more to do with forcing commercial spaces. I know this sounds like a no-brainer, but we do have clients who opted to go SAB even with a commercial address because they thought it would get them further reach via the Service Location section.

2. All business posts have been declined recently. Some of the companies had been using hashtags prior to our management. I noticed this as a correlation with no definitive thoughts on it yet.

We're going to attempt to "Shock" the GMBs with new commercial addresses to see if this fixes it. I know there have been talks of setting up residential addresses and transferring reviews, but we have seen multiple instances of reviews not transferring when this happens and Google leaving us without much support.

Does anyone else have any working theories?

Note: Our companies who are experiencing this are still ranking very high organically, positions 1-5 on page 1 for their primary and secondary keywords.

Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 2.33.17 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 2.33.25 PM.jpg

My listing all of the sudden said I need to verify again? I did that years ago. Also my phone number keeps disappearing on my profile. I put it back in and it says it needs verified too. I’ve had my google profile and phone number verified for many years. This whole thing is a nightmare.

I have a client that has been affected by this bug as well.

Similar to what has been said already, if you add an address into the SAB listing, it appears live again within a few hours. If you remove the address (like it should be for an SAB) the listing goes back into "only visible to managers" mode. Here is how I determine if a listing is affected by this issue, note the instructions assume you are a manager of the GMB.

1. Open google.com
2. Perform a search for the company name
3. Scroll down the results, past the Map pack
4. If you are affected by the issue you will see a box similar to the screenshot below which shows "You manage this Business Profile" then in the sub-text, "Only visible to managers". You won't see the full knowledge panel for the brand name or any of the usual "Your business on Google" management options.

Screenshot.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Joy,

We are also experiencing similar issues where we are not showing up at all in Local Pack.

The listing is live on maps. Here it is: North State Garage Doors, Llc

I can confirm the issue started Friday 09/09/2022 so we were showing up before then.

Hi, is the address for your business a residence, a p.o. box (like a UPS store/PostNet), a virtual office, or co-working space? We have an SAB client affected by this -- trying to compare notes and look for a common thread.

I’m having this problem also. I noticed it September 6th. My business just disappeared on searches and it has not been suspended. It’s still live but if you try to search for my business, it doesn’t show up at all.

Custom Maids Inc.

Hi, is the address for your business a residence, a p.o. box (like a UPS store/PostNet), a virtual office, or co-working space? We have an SAB client affected by this -- trying to compare notes and look for a common thread.

Hey everyone, Schieler here from ServiceLifter!

I know there's been some very popular discussion lately regarding SABs falling off of Google! Currently, we manage over 220 GBPs and are seeing it on six of them. Multiple companies are also coming to us and asking for help to get them back into the map section. I've included pictures below from local Viking of two companies' scans for their branded search terms.

So far, between the listings that have vanished, I have found some common factors:

1. Even if the address was cleared, all GBPs that have gone missing had a residential/virtual office/PO box address attached to it at one point. We know that Google keeps the address in the back-end even when cleared so I'm wondering if this has less to do with an error and more to do with forcing commercial spaces. I know this sounds like a no-brainer, but we do have clients who opted to go SAB even with a commercial address because they thought it would get them further reach via the Service Location section.

2. All business posts have been declined recently. Some of the companies had been using hashtags prior to our management. I noticed this as a correlation with no definitive thoughts on it yet.

We're going to attempt to "Shock" the GMBs with new commercial addresses to see if this fixes it. I know there have been talks of setting up residential addresses and transferring reviews, but we have seen multiple instances of reviews not transferring when this happens and Google leaving us without much support.

Does anyone else have any working theories?

Note: Our companies who are experiencing this are still ranking very high organically, positions 1-5 on page 1 for their primary and secondary keywords.

Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 2.33.17 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 2.33.25 PM.jpg

I wanted to chime in and say that originally my GMB listing DID have a residential address attached to it when I first set it up. I had no idea what I was doing and didn't know how to properly set up a SAB listing. (Still don't know what I'm doing but I'm trying to learn)

My listing is still not showing up on Google search but support should be responding back to me within 3 days or so they say. Should I mention the Kansas bug as being a potential reason? Or should support be able to figure this out.

I have a client that has been affected by this bug as well.

Similar to what has been said already, if you add an address into the SAB listing, it appears live again within a few hours. If you remove the address (like it should be for an SAB) the listing goes back into "only visible to managers" mode. Here is how I determine if a listing is affected by this issue, note the instructions assume you are a manager of the GMB.

1. Open google.com
2. Perform a search for the company name
3. Scroll down the results, past the Map pack
4. If you are affected by the issue you will see a box similar to the screenshot below which shows "You manage this Business Profile" then in the sub-text, "Only visible to managers". You won't see the full knowledge panel for the brand name or any of the usual "Your business on Google" management options.

Screenshot.jpg

This is mobile "desktop mode"

This means I am affected by the Kansas bug?

Screenshot_20220914-184858~2.jpg

We moved to SAB around 5 months ago. So SAB.

Oh lord, you're right. He's been filtered. The number two slot is now a different firm at the same address. Any indications why this would have suddenly happened? Is there anything he can do other than relocate? A push for reviews at that location perhaps?
Your issue is unrelated to the others on this thread and I'd say that it was probably one of the algorithm updates in the last week that flipped the filter so that it's not in your favor. Moving is the best permanent option to fix it.

Hi, is the address for your business a residence, a p.o. box (like a UPS store/PostNet), a virtual office, or co-working space?
Our listing has always been set up properly as an SAB (using my home address) so no, the residential address was never visible. However, I think the stuff I was seeing is just from the algo update and nothing abnormal.

@Amy Toman @Adam DiFrisco, if the issue hasn't sorted itself out yet, you might try showing the address (i.e. un-hiding it). At least as an experiment.

Yes, I know in theory Google doesn't approve of that for an SAB, even though it always seems to work out fine in practice; that's a topic for another day.

In any event, I have seen an example of that bringing a semi-suspended hidden-address GMB page right away.

The worst that can happen is Google just doesn't reinstate the page.

d
@Amy Toman @Adam DiFrisco, if the issue hasn't sorted itself out yet, you might try showing the address (i.e. un-hiding it). At least as an experiment.

Yes, I know in theory Google doesn't approve of that for an SAB, even though it always seems to work out fine in practice; that's a topic for another day.

In any event, I have seen an example of that bringing a semi-suspended hidden-address GMB page right away.

The worst that can happen is Google just doesn't reinstate the page.

Have you contacted google in regards to this issue at all?

While it is true that adding the address and making it visible can fix the issue, I want to caution everyone against a knee-jerk reaction. Google is taking 3 to 5 weeks to reply to reinstatement requests, so if you get suspended by editing the business profile, you may be offline when this issue gets resolved. You will have to clear your address to get reinstated.

Four things will happen when you edit a business profile:
1. The edits will be accepted and published
2. The edits will go into pending review
3. You will need to reverify the profile
4. The business profile will get suspended.

It appears that Google is aware of this issue as social support changed its messaging yesterday. I would encourage everyone to contact support for assistance.

While it is true that adding the address and making it visible can fix the issue, I want to caution everyone against a knee-jerk reaction. Google is taking 3 to 5 weeks to reply to reinstatement requests, so if you get suspended by editing the business profile, you may be offline when this issue gets resolved. You will have to clear your address to get reinstated.

Four things will happen when you edit a business profile:
1. The edits will be accepted and published
2. The edits will go into pending review
3. You will need to reverify the profile
4. The business profile will get suspended.

It appears that Google is aware of this issue as social support changed its messaging yesterday. I would encourage everyone to contact support for assistance.

Google support is supposed to get back to me today as I got an automated message a few days ago stating 24 business hours to respond to my case. Will update everyone if you're interested if I actually hear back from them today.

@Bas_L @keyserholiday @Phil Rozek Ya it's kind of a lose-lose. I either lose leads now or potentially lose leads later (although later would probably be more significant).

I showed an address for one and it's right back on track (see photo), this one is a very grey-area SAB though. I have another true SAB that I'm not daring to touch since they've had suspensions and reverification requests in the past.

My last note is no, I haven't reached out to any support reps yet, mostly because that process it literally the WORST part of my job and I'd rather quit than talk to them ever again. I'm kidding but not really.

1663340320030.jpg

Google admitted it's a bug and is working on a solution. It's not a lose-lose situation. There are other methods to get traffic and visibility, LSA and PPC.

@Adam DiFrisco, I hear you. As I always say, there are no solutions - only trade-offs.

One consideration that may tip your decision-making one way or the other is: do competitors consistently hide or consistently show their addresses? Often in industries where you think hiding the address must be standard practice, it's not, or vice versa. Doesn't mean the competitors are approaching GMB in a smart way. The point is you need to launder Google's stated policies through Google's practice.

Another factor is to think of Google's angle in all of this. If your GBP is one page rather than one of 31 that you've splattered onto the map, and it had been ranking OK for a while and in existence for even longer, and you've got a good pile of reviews, and the only gray area is the "hide vs. show" question, Google doesn't benefit much from whisking you off the map, and the downside of getting it wrong is a lot of disappointed searchers. Google benefits more from keeping you around so they can coax you into some ads. In edge cases Google tends to give you the benefit of the doubt.

It's for reasons like this I'm constantly telling clients and others to focus more on organic SEO than on just the map. Most of one's Maps visibility comes down to organic (on-page + links) anyway, it augments whatever action you've got on the map, and it serves as a fallback whenever you run into trouble on the map.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom