Chris_Cummins

Reaction score
I hope I have this in the right place. I apologize if this has been covered before. I feel tons of respect for the knowledge being shared here.

The big question: Why are my local SERPs stuck and not regaining their rankings?

Here is the G+ listing:
https://plus.google.com/112513526305661424217/about

Relevant Facts (as far as I can tell):

1) My photography studio was ranked three or higher consistently on the blended results and local SERPS for about two or three years leading up to May. Had excellent citations, a good volume of reviews and fairly close to the city centroid.

2) I relocated the business in May to a much better location for less rent that just so happened to be closer to the city centroid. I wasn't keen on doing this for the risk of this kind of thing happening to valuable SERPS but I decided the long-term benefits were worth it.

3) I worked through all of the headaches and confusion of closing Google Places pages, Google Plus business, lost reviews, sunk rankings.

4) The Google + page for the old location is still indexed and visible despite my telling G it has closed. Could this be contributing to the problem? Here is the link to the old G+ page:
https://plus.google.com/101964223721336271822/about

5) I've really scoured my citations looking for out-of-date citations and have done a ton of work to clean those up but G is proving slow to index those new citations. My research tells me this is normal. How much could this be contributing to the problem?

6) Brightlocal's benchmarking tool says I have about 160 citations for my business. This is way more than the top ranking site. In fact I have superior results in terms of verification, reviews, citations, domain authority vs. my competition that is ranked at top. I am in the middle of the pack on links.

7) I have read on other posts it can be just simply be a matter of time (2 to 6 months) to regain visibility for this situation.

8) I did use "Ste" instead of "#" in many of the citations. G of course uses # in my G+ NAP. Is this an issue I need to go back and correct with citations?

I hate waiting, but i can do it. In the mean time I can do the drudgery of citation building and work on strong content for links. My biggest fear is ranking will not come back as I wait for six months because I am overlooking something.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Chris Cummins

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
Hi Chris,

Without digging too deep I would say you need to do some more citation cleanup. A Google search for your phone number brings up several listings with your old address on the first page alone.

Claim and update your listings on the major data providers as well. I did a search for your number on Localeze and this was the listing that came up - Search Results | Neustar // Localeze

Chris_Cummins

Reaction score
Thank you Colan. Yup, there's some messiness out there. Makes me never want to move again.

A lot of the citations are ones that just aren't getting fixed easily, although I have tried, case in point is Localeze. Their support is communicating with me via email as we chat here.

Just stay on those citation clean ups, right? Anything else you can see?

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Hi Chris, I need to move this to the help section since you posted link and it's about one specific listing.

When did you PIN verify the new listing?

Because the similar places section is missing at the bottom of the page. Check old page and it's there but not on new one. That seems to me to usually be a symptom of a new listing that has not fully worked into the local database yet. That process can take 6 - 8 weeks and during that time it won't rank for KW searches only name + city or phone searches in maps.

Chris_Cummins

Reaction score
Thank you for responding Linda, that was a messy process in which I had to do it a few times but the last one I'm going to say was probably less than eight weeks ago. Sorry, not the best memory on that.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
C Relocated my business, was near the top of SERPS now stuck in ranking hell Moving or Name Changes 4
P Correct procedure to merge GMB pages for same business following relocation Google Duplicates & Merges 8
Don Berthiaume Question on Business Moved or Relocated Local Search 3
D GMB Reinstate or Create New Account After Relocating Local SEO Job Board 2
E Reputation Reviews When Relocating Moving or Name Changes 4
Tony Wang Temporary Relocation for Dentist? Nightmare? Google My Business & Google Maps 9
F Relocated label still exist? Moving or Name Changes 3
freerunr Relocated label still exist? Moving or Name Changes 3
R Google Now Shows "Relocated To" in Google+ Local Listings Moving or Name Changes 2
R Google Now Shows "Relocated To" in Google+ Local Listings Moving or Name Changes 2
JacobPuhl Closed/relocated listing ranking #1? Local Search 2
djbaxter Google My Business Bug Dropping SAB Businesses In Independence, Kansas Service Area Businesses 0
rickvidallon How Do You Access The Buttons In Google My Business For Online Services? Local Search 4
NevenaIvanova Removing off-topic reviews posted before the business started operation Local Reviews 8
N What category should be selected for such business in GMB? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
JoyHawkins Get Live Inventory Displayed on Your Google My Business Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Niki Business category does not support more hours Help & Support for Google Local 2
TriciaClements 3 Businesses - how to handle GMB listings for SAB? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Matt Chauhan Opinion on entering service areas within the GMB dashboard for Brick and Mortar Businesses NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
krystaltaing Google My Business Bulk Verification Limit Reached? Multi-Location Issues 0
RobertCarnitas GMB Spam for 'Located In' business - Does it affect the GMB listing for the business that is located inside it? Spam on Google 3
D Local Services and Google my Business Paid Search and Local Service Ads 2
Rich Owings Google community challenge to update 100,000 businesses Google My Business & Google Maps 0
R What steps should I take to get my suspended and denied Google My business approved? Help & Support for Google Local 1
Jac Google My business Photos - Uploaded but not reflecting on contribution page Google My Business & Google Maps 3
AndySimpson Google My Business Opening Date - What Date Should You Use? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Jason_Parks1 Years in Business (Misleading) - Thoughts? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Matt Chauhan How to deal with a business merger? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
dateinadash SAB location no longer appears next to my business Service Area Businesses 1
NevenaIvanova Need help with business detail update of a Chinese business Local Search 3
S Old Listing Hijacked by another business Spam on Google 2
djbaxter Google Maps Removed 55M Reviews & 3M Fake Business Profiles Spam on Google 4
L Does selecting a service area for hidden address business have negative effects? Moving or Name Changes 1
E Issues with managing business pages on Facebook Citations 3
S How to remove a GMB from maps of a previous owner who ran 3 businesses from the same address Google My Business & Google Maps 6
P How to reclassify a business as a SAB? Service Area Businesses 8
buzzrank Home inspector business category not available in Canada, but local competitors have NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
C Fake google reviews on google my business Contact Us Messages 2
K GMB Adding Old Business Name & Putting True Name in Parathesis Only In English Browser Google My Business & Google Maps 1
U Google showing location of Service Area Business Service Area Businesses 2
Lluc Google launches Years in Business in Search Google My Business & Google Maps 3
FriarTuck00 Best Practice for a Business that is Still Operational but Everyone Works Remotely? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
lincolnchan What to do when one business acquires another and moves into their location? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Stef Kiley Temp closed business ranking higher in local pack Help & Support for Google Local 2
NickB-Tampa How can I unsync Google My Business from my Bing Places listings? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
F Turkish post: Google My Business local seo Recycle Bin 0
Koray Tuğberk GÜBÜR Two Different Business Places at the Same Address: Should I Add Them to GMB? Local Search 1
DangGood Google Maps, Years in Business Google My Business & Google Maps 4
F Google My Business local seo Google Local 101 3
D Should I Bother Updating NAP on Business Listings and 3rd Party Sites? Citations 7