More threads by merlin_1234

merlin_1234

Reaction score
I've got a client who's purchased a hotel. They've changed the name but the address is remaining the same.

We are in the process of getting the old listing marked as 'permanently closed' but I'm keen to know if there's a better solution. Ideally, my client doesn't want patrons of the old business to think there is no longer a hotel operating at the premises when they search for it by name.

My thinking is the best option is to somehow get that old listing removed, so at least a branded search for the hotel won't surface anything. I was wondering if we could somehow merge the old listing with the new hotel (perhaps reporting it as a duplicate?).

I'm sure this is an issue that's been covered a thousand times, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Google will not remove or delete the old listing. You can do 1 of 2 things

Option 1- Update the Google Listing (and the other listings Yelp, TripAdvisor, etc.) by claiming Ownership of the listing and updating the business name. You would need to request ownership of the current live listing. In this option, you are inheriting the previous listings review score but also the search equity.

Option 2 - Claim ownership of the old listing mark it as permanently closed and then change the profile picture to show a note that says "New Owners - Now Called ABC Business Name". Strip that listing of it website link and number and store hours to 'deoptimize the listing. Create a new listing for the current business. Google will have the old business index in searches for a couple of weeks/months, but eventually, it should drop off the searches.

Good luck :)

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom