Reaction score
Review-Researching: 3 Examples of Reviews in the Buyer?s Journey

review-buyers-journey.jpg

Customers won?t tell you.

They know you?d love to know what they?re thinking. To get an inside look at how they make their decisions. But the fact of the matter is, they won?t share.

Because they don?t really know.

Make no mistake, customers think they know about decision making. Ask them and they?ll tell you about their ?rational decision making process.?

• First, they determine what they need
  • Next, they assess qualified candidates
  • Finally, they select a winner

You?ll get some variation depending on who you ask but it?s usually something similar. It?s completely untrue.

Logical decision making is a myth

Antonio Damasio, Professor of Neuroscience at the University of Southern California made a startling discovery.

His research focused on the areas of the brain responsible for emotion. His work focused on patients who had a damaged limbic system. These patients were normal in every way, except for one thing.

They weren?t able to feel emotions.

During the course of his research Damasio discovered the people in his study all had the same unusual problem.

None of them could make decisions.

They were able to describe what they were supposed to do in logical terms, but without emotion, they found it incredibly difficult to make even the simplest of decisions (e.g. what to eat).

Damasio discovered that, at the point of decision, emotions are vital for decisions. What does this mean for us, for your customers? It means that every decision, even the ones we believe are purely logical are always based on emotion.

Customers are emotional decision makers

Contrary to popular belief, we?re all emotional decision makers. Emotion is a fundamental part of choice. It?s what customers won?t tell you, not because they aren?t willing, but because they don?t know.

Whether we like it or not, we?re all dependent on emotion.

What drives emotion? Our thoughts, information. The emotions your customer experiences come from three simple areas.

1. Inexperience. What you don?t know can hurt you. As customers we all understand this intuitively. Naturally, customers have questions. Are there any hidden fees? Is this safe? What am I getting myself into? These unanswered questions create a wide variety of negative emotions. Answering customer questions relieves these negative emotions.

2. Past experience. Customers are far more likely to approach you with fear if they were burned by a dishonest seller in the past. Did a competitor?s product fail shortly after purchase? Expect skepticism and doubt.

3. Perception. Politicians, used car salesmen and lawyers are often viewed as sleazy and dishonest. When there?s an industry or company bias at play, customers are immediately, automatically resistant. If you?re perceived as authoritative or prestigious, customers approach with a sense of awe and respect.

When a customer is looking to buy, one of these three scenarios is at play. But what does that look like? To find the answer, let?s look at a few product examples.

Read the rest of Andrew's post here. He goes on to showcase 3 examples from real brands of how inexperience, perception, and past experience influences how reviews influence consumers' research.

review-buyers-journey.jpg

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Linda Buquet Research Shows Under-cover Google Employees are "Top Reviewers" - Interesting Local Reviews 0
JoyHawkins Reviews Not Publishing Local Reviews 5
NevenaIvanova Removing off-topic reviews posted before the business started operation Local Reviews 8
Phil Rozek Google Maps reviews get "New" label for reviews less than 1 month old Local Reviews 5
JoyHawkins Get Custom Responses to Online Reviews Local Reviews 3
Barb Davids Review restriction for dentists in AU? Local Reviews 3
W Is it possible to remove reviews on GMB? Local Reviews 4
D Spam Fighting With Reviews Spam on Google 7
harmony How Does Google Choose Service Options in a Review? Local Reviews 6
abbiebeltran Google Reviews Now Have 'Service-Testimonial-Tags' at the Top Local Reviews 1
S Local Services Ads - Fake Reviews Local Reviews 1
djbaxter Google Maps Removed 55M Reviews & 3M Fake Business Profiles Spam on Google 4
E Review Spammer Help & Support for Google Local 2
C Fake google reviews on google my business Contact Us Messages 2
Greg Bernhardt Why some categories show review snippet and some don't? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 1
DangGood GMB showing 2 Review sections at Zero Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Oliver Keates BBC - "Man to pay £25,000 damages over negative TrustPilot review" Local Search 6
Steve Attarian Has anyone had luck removing a Review by a non customer that gave one star because she noticed that the staff didn't wear masks when she walked by? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
swmaher Competitor Buying Fake Reviews Local Reviews 1
LauraUK SAB's - can a client without a Gmail leave a SAB a review. Service Area Businesses 3
M Google rule for collecting reviews from a dedicated tablet inside a store ? Local Reviews 8
micromano Will changing a business name in GMB cause reviews to be lost? Moving or Name Changes 3
R Facebook reviews dropped to 0; Google filtering reviews temporarily? Local Reviews 2
A Diminishing Returns on Number of Reviews? Local Reviews 6
Eoghan_MFeed Great customer review we pulled in for a client Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 0
MatGee Multiple Practitioners at Medical Office, Is It Possible To Share Reviews? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
djbaxter Webinar The State of Online Reviews in 2021 - January 14th at 2pm EST Events 0
C Review attributes gone missing Local Reviews 1
abbiebeltran Disgruntled former employee leaves 9 1-star reviews and counting on GMB listing Local Reviews 5
Koray Tuğberk GÜBÜR Review Schema Mark up and Google My Business Reviews Local Search 4
Professor M No Reviews on Local Packs for Car Wash Category in Different Countries Google My Business & Google Maps 1
rickvidallon Delay in Seeing New Reviews Postings Dec 2020 Local Reviews 2
nathangdavidson Anyone noticing reviews not being added to profiles? Local Reviews 5
Antonio 4500 plus reviews suspended for a 26-year-old hotel business. Local Reviews 17
Chris Ratchford Yelp won't remove a review from a rude reviewer Local Reviews 15
D Promote Reviews to Practice's Main GMB Profiles or Individual Doctors' GMB Profiles Local Reviews 1
jeff_taylor GMB Removes Reviews from Local Pack Local Search 0
H Multiple negative reviews and threats from one client Local Reviews 3
rayrober Missing Reviews Local Reviews 10
P Replying to All GMB Reviews: Rank Impact? Local Reviews 8
R New GMB reviews gone Google My Business & Google Maps 6
djbaxter How to Delete a Google Review Local Reviews 1
NevenaIvanova Review replies disappeared from Google Google My Business & Google Maps 9
nathangdavidson Anyone using Google's Marketing Kit tool to promote reviews? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Shelly Reciprocal review network between small business owners Local Reviews 30
U Receiving reviews, reviews showing but review count not changing Local Reviews 0
Tony Wang Fake Reviews - Completely Unsolicited? Local Reviews 2
Brittany Barkes Merging GMB Location With Bad Reviews Google Duplicates & Merges 2
Greg Bernhardt Sharing reviews between very similar products? Organic SEO 4
K Broken Place_ID Review Link Local Reviews 11