More threads by Lemarque

Lemarque

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster.

So if I use any of the available paid tools or even hire someone who's built their own python app; and import the GMB data into a WordPress directory theme, any suggestions on the best way to contact the business owners?

My plan is to list the businesses for free and offer a handful of upsells.

I've read that emails are generally ignored, cold calls are near impossible to get past the gatekeeper. Unless I can get some ideas and or opinions on feasibility, I beginning to feel like my idea is a solution chasing a problem.

Feedback from anyone who has success or failure with directory sites is appreciated.

I can't answer your specific question but I have worked with a few clients with directories and one thing that has helped their sales is being able to report back to the client how many clicks they have had on their website address, phone number, social media handles, etc. So you might want to ensure your directory is more visible in Google than some of the listings themselves - e.g. I Google ABC window company and their listing in your directory comes up rather than ABC window company website... you'll get attention from these companies :) And if you can let them know how much traffic you sent their way, it's easier to have a sales conversation.

I can't answer your specific question but I have worked with a few clients with directories and one thing that has helped their sales is being able to report back to the client how many clicks they have had on their website address, phone number, social media handles, etc. So you might want to ensure your directory is more visible in Google than some of the listings themselves - e.g. I Google ABC window company and their listing in your directory comes up rather than ABC window company website... you'll get attention from these companies :) And if you can let them know how much traffic you sent their way, it's easier to have a sales conversation.

Thanks Digitaldar -

I've been researching how to get the client listings crawled. As you know, SEO, first for the site, and then the client's listing, is no easy task. I'll have to take a deep dive and try and find out if there is a way to track the clicks from the listings on my site. That is assuming the client isn't prepared to allow me rights to Analytics - if they even have that setup. Hmm... the thought just occurred to me whether I might be able to see those stats from my Analytics?

I'll add to that: LEADS.
That's all they care about and will pay for.
Set up whatever you're doing to first generate leads.
Usually, some very uncompetitive niche in the middle of nowhere.

Agreed.

I was thinking Diet pills <ducking>

Seriously tho, my brain is niched out at the moment. It's something I've tried to identify for some time now. To no avail.

Hi LeMarque, my name is Curtis Boyd, I'm the founder of The Transparency Company I'm just getting into this business myself!

Here's what our listings look like:
https://askfortransparency.com/business/nanuq-law-victoria/

We're a startup and in 4th months, our team has gotten over 75+ businesses to pay us $29+/month to get a listing from us. (we also have other services)

By the end of 2022, it's likely going to be 500+ businesses

Our listings prove that a companies reviews are real.
We give zero leads. We help convert leads - that's valuable.

My advice is to research a niche and learn how you can help businesses somewhere along their customer's buying journey. Make your listings mean something more.

Perhaps your listing site examines the hiring practices of pest control companies, and how they do background checks and drug testing.

And that by being on your site, it means you've vetted them for having outstanding hiring practices, that make it safer for consumers. Create an awesome badge they can embed on their site. That's just an idea and an example.

Here's our badge.
Screen-Shot-2021-10-08-at-11.46.18-PM.png

DF backlinks also help.

There's a world of opportunity out there, go discover it!

Wow, what a great forum!

Thanks for taking the time to respond and provide valuable food for thought.

I've actually come around to pondering "my niche". Was also considering reaching out to other local reputable solopreneurs to form a virtual partnership. When I think about a business's internet needs, the spokes that make up that wheel - Design, tech, social media, hosting, content, site management, etc. etc., every website design company in my area claims to be able to do it all and get you top ranking.

But I do face the issue of building "Social Proof" for whatever niche I decide upon.

Wow, what a great forum!

Thanks for taking the time to respond and provide valuable food for thought.

I've actually come around to pondering "my niche". Was also considering reaching out to other local reputable solopreneurs to form a virtual partnership. When I think about a business's internet needs, the spokes that make up that wheel - Design, tech, social media, hosting, content, site management, etc. etc., every website design company in my area claims to be able to do it all and get you top ranking.

But I do face the issue of building "Social Proof" for whatever niche I decide upon.

Happy to help! Becoming the "social proof" is always going to be the hardest part of branding, making your brand mean something to businesses.

"Our listings prove that a companies reviews are real.
We give zero leads. We help convert leads - that's valuable."

This is the most misleading statement I've read on this forum since 3:00 CST

"Create an awesome badge they can embed on their site. That's just an idea and an example."

LOL

Hi Troll! 👋🏻

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom