HoosierBuff

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a client that has seen a rash of emails from Google where someone is trying to gain management control of their GMB. They don't recognize the name of the person requesting it, and they deny the request. This happened a few times in the last month.

Today my client received a postcard with a PIN on it.

This is starting to look like someone is trying to hijack their profile. Is there anything that can be done to protect this from happening?

Professor M

Reaction score
Unfortunately, these requests happen when someone clicks "Own this listing?" on your profile, so unfortunately there is no option to block these requests.

What can you do?

Pass this "checklist to your client:

1. Please do not press the “Review request” button as it could be a fake email.

2. Next step, you login into your Google My Business account and "Deny" any request that appears on the dashboard

Important: If you have a notice from Google about an access request, please make sure to “Deny” request it as soon as possible and tell all the other account users about the request.

If you delay for more than 3 days to reject it or some other user gives access, the scammer can take control of your listing and remove you from the account and change all account details.

What else can you do
If it is more than one request, contact support to advise the situation as a spammer attack and provide all the details.

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
Yep, I agree. I would let GMB support know so that they can blacklist the account that sent the postcard. Unfortunately, hijacks are something I see quite often but as long as you don't approve the manager request you should be okay.

HoosierBuff

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

What do you think about the postcard being sent? That seems like an escalation, and I'm worried that they can send the postcard, wait two weeks, and then say "postcard not received"

Professor M

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

What do you think about the postcard being sent? That seems like an escalation, and I'm worried that they can send the postcard, wait two weeks, and then say "postcard not received"
I heard about some cases where those Spammers call the business after few days advising they are from Google and asking for the code, so I would alert your client to not provide any code over the phone.

Professor M

Reaction score
This morning I did an access request test and Google is not showing the banner on the dashboard to deny or accept the request.

Apparently the only way to do it, it's through the email received, thank you Google for making phishing easier!

So I updated my checklist:

1. Please, before clicking on the “Review request” button, check the email address as it could be a fake email - emails are sent from: "google-my-business-noreply@google.com"
1619515114227.png

2. When clicking on the "Review request" button, you should be forwarded to an URL similar to the below:

1619515042386.png

3. Next step, you login into your Google My Business account and "Deny" any request that appears on the dashboard

1619515289362.png

Important: If you have a notice from Google about an access request, please make sure to “Reject request" as soon as possible and tell all the other account users about the request.

If you delay for more than 3 days to reject it or some other user gives access, the scammer can take control of your listing and remove you from the account and change all account details.

Last edited:
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
C Changing website on GMB listing seems to have caused massive a loss of traffic :( Moving or Name Changes 1
Colan Nielsen [Missing Data Alert] Knowledge Panel Seems to Have Removed Physical City Data Local Search 9
OneBlessedDude Business moved out of state, Seemed to be in a Jail Local Search 20
R Google + Local Analytics seem to be messed up AGAIN! Google My Business & Google Maps 6
JacobPuhl More Users are Clicking on Pay Per Click Ads? Seems YES Local Search 0
M Client web site seems to have disappeared but videos are still ranking - yikes! help! Help & Support for Google Local 12
J Duplicate listings on Google ( GMB Listings ) popping up a lot lately - listing being 'stolen' by someone else... Local Search 2
vtrjavier Good someone to provide me with types of services (ideas ) that could work in a city or country? Local Search 1
J How to make someone else admin without losing access? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
djbaxter Someone from Google Corporate just joined Admin Stuff 1
LocalSEODat Can someone help with this Top Snack Pk ranking fake GMB listing? Spam on Google 3
Tim Colling Someone trying to change GMB location name, EVERY DAY Google My Business & Google Maps 11
Simon Cox Someone added Special Hours for the busiest day of the year and set it to closed... Google My Business & Google Maps 6
MiriamEllis Forum etiquette when someone is spamming Local Search 4
R Someone suggested this status: Permanently Closed Google My Business & Google Maps 2
J Is there a way to tell if someone is 301 redirecting to your site. Local Search 1
H When someone gives you a referral, do you give them a cut? Consultant's Corner 6
C Proximity from centroid enough to keep someone out of the map pack? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Andrew Forster Map Maker Approval - Can I get someone to approve this edit? Help & Support for Google Local 3
Linda Buquet Seeing Red - Someone STEALING all my Training Mod Squad 6
shondarogers Can you tell if a Google+ Local listing is already claimed in someone else's dash? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
B How does someone behoove a particular liveliness coach? Recycle Bin 0
Jo Shaer Not really Places related but hope someone can help Local Search 1
Hammer Site manager trying to get listing ownership All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 6
chadkimball Trying to change my signature from Chad Kimball Maps to Chaddo.com as the link anchor Forum Tech Support 2
D Client's Competition Keeps Trying to Take His Listing Spam on Google 2
J Trying to figure out correct address format for GMB profile Moving or Name Changes 4
S Trying To Gain Ownership of Listings Google My Business & Google Maps 3
coachmarino Company trying to sell client back their own GMB? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
A Help Client gets "Invitation failed (Role not allowed)" when trying to add Organization ID Help & Support for Google Local 6
K GMB Server Errors when trying to report a duplicate Google My Business & Google Maps 2
K Help, False Listings, I've tried everything to remove them! It's bankrupting me! Google My Business & Google Maps 1
A SAB trying to rank 1 specific service Local Search 3
D Tried to start a new GMB after suspended, is URL blacklisted? Starting to think so... Google My Business & Google Maps 7
WAHamilton Trying to Find Category for 'General Contractor' in Canada NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
M North Face tried to scam Wikipedia to get its products to the top of Google search Organic SEO 0
Tim Colling Has anyone tried / Does anyone use Local Viking Local Search Experts Forum 3
djbaxter Davis tried to register another account Mod Squad 0
chadkimball Chad Kimball Google Maps Business Rant.. read this if you are trying to get started in this business! Recycle Bin 0
J Interesting, Sneak Way of Trying to Game Multi Location Google My Business Listings Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Eric Rohrback Google's Trying to Edge Out Adobe Local SEO Tools & Software 2
travelincat Trying to create a GMB Brand Page Google My Business & Google Maps 3
C Question/Problem - Trying to rank one landing page in multiple cities Local Search 10
Broland Google Listing Disappeared With Recent Update? - Try This Google My Business & Google Maps 68
Linda Buquet Tried this for Local Links and Citations? Brilliant for the Right Type of Client Local Search 4
Mark Warner Have You Ever Tried "Computer Glasses" Consultant's Corner 13
Linda Buquet Consultants: Have you Tried PEEK for your Local Search Clients Yet? Consultant's Corner 18
V Trying to improve my rankings, help from Spain! Help & Support for Google Local 0
Todd McCall Trying to bring satellite offices into compliance with guidelines Google My Business & Google Maps 4
jvaquino Has anyone tried Factual's "Write API" option? Local SEO Tools & Software 2