More threads by nweagle

Reaction score
Cheers - this is my first post and looking forward to digging in here. ;)

I know of a few companies that are utilizing rep companies that practice capturing authentic reviews on a proprietary platform. Then they take those reviews, create fake profiles in Google+ or other review sites and post them.

Does anyone know if this violates G's terms of service? I'm guessing yes.

Thank you

I know of a few companies that are utilizing rep companies that practice capturing authentic reviews on a proprietary platform. Then they take those reviews, create fake profiles in Google+ or other review sites and post them.

Does anyone know if this violates G's terms of service? I'm guessing yes.

Hi nweagle,

This is a question that is brought up a lot and was touched on during the recent webinar.

In a nutshell, it's a major violation of Google's Review Guidelines to post reviews on behalf of someone else:

Finally, don?t post reviews on behalf of others or misrepresent your identity or affiliation with the place you are reviewing.
https://support.google.com/places/answer/2622994?hl=en&topic=1656880&rd=1

Thanks Colan! Really appreciate the link and will share this with my prospect.

Here is the other applicable part of the guidelines that Colan quoted:

"Reviews should describe your personal, first-hand experience with a specific place.
Don’t post reviews based on someone else’s experience..."

So it's important enough it's spelled out twice. Google does not normally do that. The guidelines typically understate if anything.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom