More threads by Jackycham

Jackycham

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

So I already have a professionally built website but I am exploring the possibility of creating a GMB website to help with local SEO.

I was thinking of leaving the GMB website unpublished on search and maps so that my main website is still linked to my GMB but using some of the optimisation techniques around posts such as modifying location EXIF data on the images in posts to create silo's on the GMB website around certain locations. Like in this video - GMB State Of The Union 2019

I have heard because GMB Posts create a new page on your GMB website you can use location EXIF data on the images in your post to gain relevance in certain locations that you want to target. I am unable to edit my main website (franchisee website) to create location pages for each of the locations i want to target so i was hoping to use these posts to do that instead.

Firstly, does anyone think that this will have any negative effects for my main website? Im concerned the GMB website would not meet franchisee requirements and if people were able to find the site I may be in breach (I want to use this only for local SEO purposes & send all traffic to my main site).

Secondly, does anyone have any comments on the viability of this strategy? Basically I rank really well for my keywords in a 15-20km radius but I want to expand that to new areas maybe 40-50kms if possible.

Hi Jacky, my opinion on GMB websites is they're not worth the time, unless the client has no website at all and they're looking for an extremely basic site builder.

One argument is you might as well do it because it's an easy way to get another link to the main site. However Google knows they're all connected so I'm not sure how this link could have any value.

Using EXIF location data to boost relevance has been discussed many times on this forum. I'd love to believe it were true, imagine how easy that would be to apply! But I've never seen evidence it works. When you upload images to GMB all the EXIF data is stripped for privacy, so the algo can't factor that into a search anyway.

Expanding your radius is super hard and there's not much you can do about it, but boosting visibility isn't the only way you can increase your conversions. If you invest your time getting really good images and training clients/staff how to ask for reviews, you might find this boost in conversion rate makes up a bigger difference than if you'd spent that time building location landing pages.

I agree with the two previous comments (no value), but in a recent webinar (Breaking into the Google 3 Pack - via dba), Yan pointed out how its a low time investment thing so might as well do it.
I found that weird, and mildly interesting - he did mention that a GMB in and of itself certainly won't move the needle - but low-hanging fruit is the message I took away from it.

Hi Jacky, my opinion on GMB websites is they're not worth the time, unless the client has no website at all and they're looking for an extremely basic site builder.

One argument is you might as well do it because it's an easy way to get another link to the main site. However Google knows they're all connected so I'm not sure how this link could have any value.

Using EXIF location data to boost relevance has been discussed many times on this forum. I'd love to believe it were true, imagine how easy that would be to apply! But I've never seen evidence it works. When you upload images to GMB all the EXIF data is stripped for privacy, so the algo can't factor that into a search anyway.

Expanding your radius is super hard and there's not much you can do about it, but boosting visibility isn't the only way you can increase your conversions. If you invest your time getting really good images and training clients/staff how to ask for reviews, you might find this boost in conversion rate makes up a bigger difference than if you'd spent that time building location landing pages.

Hi Lachlan,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a detailed response.

I am using a program called Local Viking to schedule posts etc and they claim that because they have direct API access the EXIF data is not removed from the images. Do you think that's true and would that change your opinion on whether EXIF data editing is viable?

Also do you have any ideas on how widely I should hope to set my reach? 50km would be ideal - do you think it is possible to fight for relevance for an area that far away from my physical location?

Thanks for your help with this.

I agree with the two previous comments (no value), but in a recent webinar (Breaking into the Google 3 Pack - via dba), Yan pointed out how its a low time investment thing so might as well do it.
I found that weird, and mildly interesting - he did mention that a GMB in and of itself certainly won't move the needle - but low-hanging fruit is the message I took away from it.

Hi mate,

I have tried to Google that title and I don't believe I have landed on the right video. If you get a chance could you send me a link? Thanks

Hi Lachlan,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a detailed response.

I am using a program called Local Viking to schedule posts etc and they claim that because they have direct API access the EXIF data is not removed from the images. Do you think that's true and would that change your opinion on whether EXIF data editing is viable?

Also do you have any ideas on how widely I should hope to set my reach? 50km would be ideal - do you think it is possible to fight for relevance for an area that far away from my physical location?

Thanks for your help with this.

No problem Jacky.

If location data exists on only a small fraction of all the images uploaded to GMB, I don't that would make it a useful signal to Google, particularly if they've already verified the location by postcard. But that doesn't really matter, because if you want to believe something's a factor you can always find evidence that's it's possible.

So instead of asking 'is this a factor?' ask 'is this worth my time?'. If I had a client on the edge of town I wouldn't bother with EXIF data, but I would run Google Ads using the location extension, targeting the zip codes where my organic listing is just out of reach. That 'might' improve your radius by increasing engagement from users further away, but unlike photos it doesn't matter if it isn't a factor because you still get the business out of it.

Best of luck :)

It only takes a few minutes to set up. Make sure you don't inadvertently replace your real site for your GMB listing in that process. Just because you created it, doesn't mean that Google will keep it in the index. Use it like an extra citation source mainly.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom