More threads by Travis Van Slooten

Solutions
Reaction score
It's been a long time since I've had to help a brand new business get off the ground online so I haven't had to deal with a new Google Business Profile in a few years. I just assumed it was the usual post card verification process, but my client informed me that Google is requiring a video from him to verify his listing.

When did this start? And has postcard verification gone away now?

He's a sole proprietor that does interior and exterior house painting. His home is obviously his place of business. The only verification option he's being given is the video verification. I was surprised to see this.

Travis

Solution
Last summer we started seeing more & more video verifications in the towing industry. Now it's supremely rare to see a postcard option.

Sherry Bonelli did a nice piece with detailed information on the process. She included these hot tips:
  • Before you shoot your video, plan out what you are going to show, who will be in it, and who will record it
  • If you’re an SAB, show unlocking your branded vehicle to show the tools you use to perform your work (branded truck, ladders, equipment) and show any unique software you use to run your business such as a quote creator or billing system; you can also show your team performing a job at a customer’s site using the tools-of-the-trade
  • If you operate out of your home, show things...
Hey Travis, I believe that Google started to offer video verification in late 2019 but it became increasingly more popular in 2020 mainly due to Covid. It sounds like your client is probably a SAB and Google utilizes video verification methods very often with SABs because it is often quicker and some may not have an option to get mail at their service address. Are they wanting to schedule a live video call or the newer recorded video verification?

If your client hasn't done so already, I'd suggest verifying their website in GSC. This adds an extra layer of trust with Google and ideally should be done prior to requesting GBP verification.

Last summer we started seeing more & more video verifications in the towing industry. Now it's supremely rare to see a postcard option.

Sherry Bonelli did a nice piece with detailed information on the process. She included these hot tips:
  • Before you shoot your video, plan out what you are going to show, who will be in it, and who will record it
  • If you’re an SAB, show unlocking your branded vehicle to show the tools you use to perform your work (branded truck, ladders, equipment) and show any unique software you use to run your business such as a quote creator or billing system; you can also show your team performing a job at a customer’s site using the tools-of-the-trade
  • If you operate out of your home, show things to prove your address (street signs, street number on house, mailbox)
  • Show close-ups of business licenses, SOS docs, LLC or incorporation docs, or any other official documents that prove your company’s name and address; just zoom in on the docs so Google can see the business name and address match what’s on your Google Business Profile
As spammy listings have begun to shrink, we've noticed our clients (& us!) becoming comfortable with this process.

Best wishes on a smooth verification!

Solution
Thanks for the info everyone! It took my client 3 attempts but finally the third video "stuck" as he was able to get verified. He doesn't know what he did differently because he said he thought he basically shot the same video all three times.

Travis

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom