More threads by djbaxter

djbaxter

Administrator
Solutions
Reaction score
Transitioning from Google Reader to feedly
by @feedly
March 14, 2013

Google announced today that they will be shutting down Google Reader. This is something we have been expecting for some time: We have been working on a project called Normandy which is a feedly clone of the Google Reader API ? running on Google App Engine. When Google Reader shuts down, feedly will seamlessly transition to the Normandy back end. So if you are a Google Reader user and using feedly, you are covered: the transition will be seamless.

If you are a Google Reader, give feedly a try before July 1st, and you will be able to migrate seamlesly:

Feedly for iOS
Feedly for Android
Feedly for Chrome
Feedly for Firefox

Re: Transitioning from Google Reader to feedly

Damn! I was afraid that was coming. I live in Reader and don't want to deal with switching! Boo! :mad:

But thanks for the post David. I've seen lots of good reports about feedly.

Damn! I was afraid that was coming. I live in Reader and don't want to deal with switching! Boo! :mad:

But thanks for the post David. I've seen lots of good reports about feedly.

I'm also considering returning to Bloglines. I'm going to try to migrate all my Google Reader feeds to both and see which works best for me.

Google Retiring "Google Reader"

So I need some suggestions for another good RSS reader. Google just announced they're retiring Google Reader, and that was my main feed for good articles. Who has some good suggestions for me to try, so I can combine all my SEO/local search blogs?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Google Retiring "Google Reader"

Have been using Feedly for a couple of weeks now and really like it. Works on desktop as well as mobile, plus sharing is simple (integration with Buffer, etc). They've also just announced that when Reader finally goes all your feeds will seamlessly be integrated into your Feedly stream.

I've also tried Netvibes which I didn't like and Newsblur which just kept crashing on my Android.

I'm so bummed but knew this was coming. I LIVE in Reader and don't want to deal with switching and no time to even think about it now. Glad it's a couple months away.

Actually, I installed Feedly to synchronize with my Google Reader feeds - it took a while to finish synchronizing but it's looking prteey good. The only thing I miss is the right hand preview window for posts... maybe there's a way to configure feedly to do that but I haven't found it yet.

Thanks Linda.

I'm also going to have to make the switch so I'm looking at the alternatives. I've been thinking of either Netvibes or Newsblur. :confused::confused:

Yes, I tried and gave up on Newsblur and I tried Bloglines again and it pretty much sucks so for now it looks like Feedly for me.

Good to hear the 1st hand experiences. I saw a couple comments that made me feel like Newsblur was best/easiest. But I'll take you guys lead on this one!

I know... loved the "Orkut" part... :D

... and "Don't worry. He can export his feeds as an XML file"... :D

I know... loved the "Orkut" part... :D

... and "Don't worry. He can export his feeds as an XML file"... :D

Just realized I deleted part of my post in the other thread...

But I liked "Who's the Fing Nerd riding in with Google Glasses on!"

Yeah... that made me laugh too. :)

Thanks Linda. I'm also pretty angry about them pulling the plug on it!

It does seem obvious that the reason is there push towards Google+ and they just don't see Google Reader as part of their overall strategy, despite the fact that is has a cult following. It's both confusing and obvious at the same time! From the sound of that post, they have just pulled all of their resources away from it and placed them onto Google+.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom