Tiggerito

Reaction score
At the end of last year an employee at one of my clients locations did something bad that made the news.

This has triggered quite a few 1 star reviews, reviews with nasty comments and photos of the incident on other locations under the brand. Obviously affecting those other locations even though they were nothing to do with it. People just Googled the brand name and started posting.

What's the best thing to do:

Report all malicious reviews and photos as not relevant to the place?

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
Hi Tony,

Google will remove the reviews if you can demonstrate that they are a result of the media attention.

Review case #8
If you get a lot of negative reviews as a result of a controversial media incident, you have a case to get the reviews removed.

In the case below, a university was getting hit with a high number of negative reviews due to a free speech controversy reported in the news. The vast majority of people leaving the reviews had never had an experience with the college but left negative reviews anyway because they felt passionate about the cause. In the end, Google removed over 100 reviews.

joyreview10-1-800x555.png
joyreview10-2-800x555.png

Has your business experienced similar review issues? If so, I suggest posting over on the Google My Business (GMB) forum or contacting GMB via Twitter or Facebook for help in removing your negative reviews.

Tiggerito

Reaction score
response was to report them all and wait at least 3 days. Then follow up if required.

Tiggerito

Reaction score
Unfortunately the final response was that these reviews and images did not break any rules :-(

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
hajnasiewicz New? Events pulling from Facebook Google News: Important Changes & Features 2
valentinb13 Events in Knowledge Panel listing Google My Business & Google Maps 5
djbaxter Another option? Update your cancelled or postponed events with Schema Google My Business & Google Maps 0
djbaxter New schema properties for virtual, postponed, and canceled events Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Barb Davids Create an event that my client works for but didn't create? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
keyserholiday LocalU Google My Business Master Class [Virtual Event] - March 25, 2019 Events 44
krystaltaing Flagging Invalid Events on Your GMB Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 1
hajnasiewicz 2020 Events Events 8
S Is the service description section on GMB available for all industries? I am currently working on a business thats an event venue. Service Area Businesses 3
Jeffrey Google Events Google My Business & Google Maps 5
AndySimpson GMB Posts - Regular or Event Post Dilemma Question Google My Business & Google Maps 3
JoyHawkins New Format for Events on Google Maps Google News: Important Changes & Features 3
PaulSteinbrueck How to rank for Easter (and other seasonal events) Google My Business & Google Maps 3
S Does Google penalize you for using the Event post hack to get your post to last more than 7 days? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
hajnasiewicz Events Administration Google My Business & Google Maps 2
JoyHawkins A New Way to Add Events on Google Maps Google My Business & Google Maps 7
JoshuaMackens Local Search Events Consultant's Corner 26
PaulSteinbrueck GMB listing has events for other organizations Google My Business & Google Maps 3
hajnasiewicz Events in our Knowledge Panel, not published by us... Local Search 6
Rich Owings Google using event schema from different website Google My Business & Google Maps 8
JoyHawkins Events & Webinars Local Search Experts Forum 6
Garrett Sussman 3 Creative Ways to Use Community Events to Get Reviews For Your Local Business Local Reviews 2
Scott ClientClicks Anybody using Event Schema Markup? Local Search 1
Garrett Sussman 5 Frameworks for Creating Local Events with Community Value Local Reviews 2
JoyHawkins Web Marketing Events in 2016 Consultant's Corner 5
L Spam Alert: to use this feature visit: EVENT-TRACKING.COM Consultant's Corner 0
Colan Nielsen In-depth #LocalUp Coverage: Tweets & Slide Decks from the LocalU Event at Moz Local Search 16
Linda Buquet Lessons for Local Search Consultants coming out of "Leading In Local" Event Consultant's Corner 4
sergiuliano Local SEO / SEM Events List Local Search 1
Linda Buquet Local Search Citations & Links Via Event Marketing Local Search 8
m_j_gregory NEW - Add Google+ Events to Google+ Local Pages Google My Business & Google Maps 5
D A client has 3 verified GMB's across 2 states,with service pages for each location. Should service pages have only their respective locations address? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
S Site has higher DA and more backlinks than sites on 1st page and still not on 1st page Local Search 5
0 Primary Owner hospitalized and has a stroke. Need to add myself as a manager. Verifying via phone calls only grants me Site Manager access. Help & Support for Google Local 2
L How to reset the address that has been hidden on GMB, if they move locations? Local Search 1
dateinadash This location has been suspended due to quality issues - going round in circles! Please help? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Steve Attarian Has anyone had luck removing a Review by a non customer that gave one star because she noticed that the staff didn't wear masks when she walked by? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
M Google My Business has been 5 months, no verification code has been received Help & Support for Google Local 3
djbaxter Tired eyes or dry eyes? Firefox has an extension to help Websites, Software, and Security 1
S Clients Business name now has an "A" in front of all it's YEXT site listings Citations 1
djbaxter NEW New feature: You can now bump a thread if no one has replied to your question How To Guides 1
jpayne7 Claiming SAB That Has No Visible Claim Option Service Area Businesses 5
djbaxter Xenforo 2.2 has been released Forum Software Updates and Technical Issues 4
DanielTexasLira Has anyone done Local SEO on a Dual Pad Hotel (two different hotel brands sharing the same location)? Local Search 6
Eoghan_MFeed Does anybody have any idea how many users Apple Maps actually has? Local Search 0
Tim Kahlert Listing has Title + Subtitle? Google My Business & Google Maps 7
Nikki Stine One SAB purchases another SAB, has reviews on both GMBs - possible to merge? Service Area Businesses 2
sixthcitysarah USPS Has Marked this Address Inactive? Recycle Bin 1
djbaxter SEO people continue to debate about E-A-T but Google has been clear and consistent Organic SEO 0
eshad Google has merged accounts but is showing an old listing Google Duplicates & Merges 1