More threads by ash-grin

ash-grin

Reaction score
I am working on a website that has had a 404 page show up in the sitelinks for weeks (maybe even longer). We already submitted a new sitemap. Is there anything else that can be done? I know you can't manually choose the sitelinks but maybe someone has some others ideas on how to get Google to stop pulling in the 404 page.

If you have redirected that 404 page to a good page, I would submit that good page directly in Search Console. If you still have internal links pointing to the bad page (which then gets redirected), I would ask for Google to crawl that page in the hopes that the crawler will follow the links off the page so it updates itself.

I don't know how often Google updates the site links though, so it's possible that it's already fixed, but Google hasn't updated itself yet.

If you have redirected that 404 page to a good page, I would submit that good page directly in Search Console. If you still have internal links pointing to the bad page (which then gets redirected), I would ask for Google to crawl that page in the hopes that the crawler will follow the links off the page so it updates itself.

I don't know how often Google updates the site links though, so it's possible that it's already fixed, but Google hasn't updated itself yet.

Thanks Yan. The page was removed, so it is 404ing, there is no new page to redirect it to. The content is just completely removed. There are also no internal links pointing to it. From what I understand it is a waiting game, but was hoping someone had out of the box ideas to ping Google this page is gone and to stop showing it as a sitelink.

Add a redirect 410 to your .htaccess file.

Code:
Redirect 410 https://yourdomain.com/page-portion-of-removed-page-url

Google used to have a tool where you could remove the Sitelink (or demote it) but it looks like they killed off the feature a few years ago :(

Adding the 410 redirect should take care of the issue though as according to their support docs, they should only be showing pages that are useful to searchers - so if it's showing a 410 response (gone), they should remove it from the list.

Thanks @djbaxter and @Conor Treacy . Unfortunately WPengine doesn't allow for 410, so we are not able to implement that. I guess there are no other options, but thanks anyway!

This free plugin may help (I haven't needed to use it yet):

Documentation for 410 redirection:

The available codes are:
  • 401 – unauthorised access
  • 404 – standard 404 error page and indicates the page is not currently available, but may become available in the future
  • 410 – page gone and indicates the page is no longer available and won’t be available in the future

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom