ash-grin

Reaction score
I am working on a website that has had a 404 page show up in the sitelinks for weeks (maybe even longer). We already submitted a new sitemap. Is there anything else that can be done? I know you can't manually choose the sitelinks but maybe someone has some others ideas on how to get Google to stop pulling in the 404 page.

Yan Gilbert

Administrator
Local Search Expert
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
If you have redirected that 404 page to a good page, I would submit that good page directly in Search Console. If you still have internal links pointing to the bad page (which then gets redirected), I would ask for Google to crawl that page in the hopes that the crawler will follow the links off the page so it updates itself.

I don't know how often Google updates the site links though, so it's possible that it's already fixed, but Google hasn't updated itself yet.

ash-grin

Reaction score
If you have redirected that 404 page to a good page, I would submit that good page directly in Search Console. If you still have internal links pointing to the bad page (which then gets redirected), I would ask for Google to crawl that page in the hopes that the crawler will follow the links off the page so it updates itself.

I don't know how often Google updates the site links though, so it's possible that it's already fixed, but Google hasn't updated itself yet.

Thanks Yan. The page was removed, so it is 404ing, there is no new page to redirect it to. The content is just completely removed. There are also no internal links pointing to it. From what I understand it is a waiting game, but was hoping someone had out of the box ideas to ping Google this page is gone and to stop showing it as a sitelink.

Conor Treacy

Reaction score
Google used to have a tool where you could remove the Sitelink (or demote it) but it looks like they killed off the feature a few years ago :(

Adding the 410 redirect should take care of the issue though as according to their support docs, they should only be showing pages that are useful to searchers - so if it's showing a 410 response (gone), they should remove it from the list.

ash-grin

Reaction score
Thanks @djbaxter and @Conor Treacy . Unfortunately WPengine doesn't allow for 410, so we are not able to implement that. I guess there are no other options, but thanks anyway!

djbaxter

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
This free plugin may help (I haven't needed to use it yet):

Documentation for 410 redirection:

The available codes are:
  • 401 – unauthorised access
  • 404 – standard 404 error page and indicates the page is not currently available, but may become available in the future
  • 410 – page gone and indicates the page is no longer available and won’t be available in the future

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Lachlan_Wells Accept/Discard Google Updates - Does this feature work for you? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
TriciaClements Cover Photo not updating Google My Business & Google Maps 8
J Getting Rid of Incorrect Highlights in GMB mobile listing ( highlights you can't update on back end ) Google My Business & Google Maps 1
abbiebeltran GMB Verification Postcard Update - What Does 2021 Postcard Look Like? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
1 GMB Listing Disabled after updating address... Google My Business & Google Maps 12
JoyHawkins Easily See Winners and Losers After an Algorithm Update Google Algorithm Discussions 3
djbaxter Brightlocal Tool shows Large Google Local Search Algorithm Update March 10, 2021 Google Algorithm Discussions 1
Rich Owings Google community challenge to update 100,000 businesses Google My Business & Google Maps 0
djbaxter Core Web Vitals and the Page Experience Update Google Algorithm Discussions 7
rustybrick Google Local ranking update? Google Algorithm Discussions 12
NevenaIvanova Need help with business detail update of a Chinese business Local Search 3
Niki Gross Tracking Variables Removed After Dec. Update Google My Business & Google Maps 1
D Should I Bother Updating NAP on Business Listings and 3rd Party Sites? Citations 7
nathangdavidson Anyone noticed Website fields not being updated in GMB, even though approved? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Hammer Can't enter verification code due to error "To verify your listing, update your business info" All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 3
NickB-Tampa Why does Google keep updating changing the main category on our listings to ones that don't make as much sense? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
S GMB Address Update for SAB Google My Business & Google Maps 2
djbaxter Google December 2020 core update now fully rolled out Google News: Important Changes & Features 0
Dino Google not updating an address. Any ideas? Moving or Name Changes 2
hajnasiewicz How To Update a logo in Wikipedia Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4
djbaxter Forum updated to Xenforo 2.2.2 Forum Software Updates and Technical Issues 0
Professor M Google Maps Update - live status of takeout and delivery orders when you book or order from Google Maps on Android and iOS Google News: Important Changes & Features 0
Y Whenever I publish update for my local business, my local rankings drop for 3-4 days Local Search 1
djbaxter Passage Indexing: Not A Core Update. It's Ranking, Not Indexing. Don't Optimize For It Google Algorithm Discussions 0
NevenaIvanova Bus Stop Names Update NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
H Updating website and urls are no longer .aspx Organic SEO 2
NickB-Tampa URL is updated in Google My Business but doesn't show up correctly in maps or on Bright Local Local Search 2
djbaxter Google Updates Search Quality Raters Guidelines Google News: Important Changes & Features 0
Igor GMB Virtual care link auto updates to wrong URL Google My Business & Google Maps 5
djbaxter Forum updated to Xenforo 2.2.1 Forum Software Updates and Technical Issues 0
Colan Nielsen NEW October 2020 Google My Business Insights Update Google My Business & Google Maps 0
A Legal Services Rankings Tanked After Potential Update - Solutions? What Did You Do? Organic SEO 2
djbaxter Security update Forum Software Updates and Technical Issues 3
freerunr Verbiage in business profile showing when hours on GMB were updated Google My Business & Google Maps 8
JoyHawkins Ranking Updates - August 13, 2020 Google Algorithm Discussions 2
djbaxter WordPress 5.5 update breaks plugins: Here’s the fix Websites, Software, and Security 6
hajnasiewicz "Review updates" but nothing to review All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4
djbaxter What SEOs get wrong about Google updates Google Algorithm Discussions 0
bdebelle Review Updates - "Accept all for this Location" resulting in listing suspension Help & Support for Google Local 2
djbaxter How spam reports are used at Google: Manual actions vs. algorithm updates Spam on Google 2
diptimayee Google Updated Its "How Search Works" Page Google News: Important Changes & Features 2
billenross update card Contact Us Messages 1
L GMB Insights Data not Updating Properly Google My Business & Google Maps 2
rickvidallon Google Not Updating Number of Reviews Local Reviews 2
djbaxter New SEO Tool: Was There A Google Update Search Site Organic SEO 0
C Payment Updates Contact Us Messages 1
DorothyCarrico Trending Local Algorithm Update in April 2020? Recycle Bin 0
Hammer If GMB not updating after COVID, re-enter the updates Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Paul Lappage Do you need to have specific User permissions to update the Attributes? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
P Change of Address - Do We Update Citations? Citations 2