Chris Alphen

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I've seen this several times in the last few days as its come up in Baltimore and I've probably seen the tweets. I've got questions and perhaps a resident link expert can shed some light.

Great idea though for service providers to place and link to state lic info. So, I'm thinking by linking to the data you're sending Google down the trail and if the page you're on is not in the index it will be. Good for you to get a high value link or citation. Is that how this works? Wouldn't that also surface your competitors so it would be a wash?

Since I work with a lot of contractors I'm thinking - How can I get a link or citation from the building permit application or any other municipal paperwork.

Am I on the right track here and if so I'll keep investigating and report back.

By the way - great stuff coming out of both Baltimore and SMX thanks for the tweets.

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Sorry Chris, your post got lost among all the bug crushing posts we have going suddenly. :eek:

I think it's a great idea. And I would not worry too much about linking to a page with the competition. BECAUSE they likely were not smart enough to link to the page and they link - even though it's an outbound link should be a good one.

Keep us posted.

Marie Ysais

Reaction score
What you said is exactly why you would do it. You are leading Google straight to the source and helping it get indexed. Really its about indexing and also a good tip for local seo. I wouldn't worry about the competitors aspect.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
C The value of a blog on a website for local SEO Local Search 58
billenross Best Of The Web Directory value? Citations 3
A Citation Value? Citations 10
raellovepie Value of Citations? Citations had little to no impact? Citations 29
H Adding MORE photos to a GMB profile - - any value Google My Business & Google Maps 25
Stefan Somborac DA & Citation/Review Site Value Local Reviews 3
mikepetersonwi Successful business being acquired - How to save the SEO value of their site Organic SEO 4
Henry LocalClarity Current value of complete Latitude & Longitude for every location in a chain? Google Local 101 1
John Vuong What is the lifetime value of a customer in Local SEO? Local Search 4
C Best Value Local SEO Platform? Brightlocal? Mox? Yext? Whitespark? Tribelocal? Consultant's Corner 8
AllSearch52 Calculating the value of 3 pack rankings for customers with no website Local Search 1
Garrett Sussman The Difference in Value of Feedback: Surveys and Online Reviews Local Reviews 2
Garrett Sussman Agency or DIY? The Value Proposition of Online Reviews Local Reviews 4
Tim Colling Townsquare "geo-fencing" - legitimate value? Local Search 0
Linda Buquet DAVID - You are valued! Admin Stuff 5
Garrett Sussman 5 Frameworks for Creating Local Events with Community Value Local Reviews 2
J Do No Follow give any backlink juice or value ? Local Search 11
mborgelt In an Industry Void of Promises, How Do You Guarantee Value? Consultant's Corner 16
Garrett Sussman Pitching the Value of Online Reviews to Clients Local Reviews 2
Garrett Sussman Look Beyond the Stars (Your Customers Do) - The Value of Review Written Content Local Reviews 4
Gayle Katz How do you quantify the value of your local SEO services? Consultant's Corner 5
deanPlumberseo The value of building links, looking for thoughts Organic SEO 9
WHUK 3 Posts that did not add value Recycle Bin 2
Colan Nielsen Value of Citations That Pull on Google+ Local Page Local Reviews 3
Paul Gregory Google Maps default location bias distance and the Google Maps Places API Google Algorithm Discussions 2
M Bar within hotel appearing in place of main hotel listing Help & Support for Google Local 6
NickB-Tampa How can I unsync Google My Business from my Bing Places listings? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Koray Tuğberk GÜBÜR Two Different Business Places at the Same Address: Should I Add Them to GMB? Local Search 1
raellovepie Bing Places (Canada) - Add Special Hours Local Search 1
Ellen Looking for live example of website using Place Photos Google My Business & Google Maps 5
brownaddesign Help with Bing Places - Accidently imported all our GMB listings Local Search 3
CarrieHill Thanks to Places Scout for Continuing to be a LocalU Advanced Gold Sponsor Events 5
LocalSEODat Need help with a suspended GMB - Client had home address as place of biz, then suspended. Fixed to meet customers and got reply with no reason Service Area Businesses 6
hajnasiewicz Place an order link Google News: Important Changes & Features 1
U How is Google Selecting Places on Google Local Context Maps Google My Business & Google Maps 0
j_holtslander Insta-fail when creating a place? Help & Support for Google Local 5
Ben Walsh Am I asking questions in the right place ? Contact Us Messages 1
hajnasiewicz Bing Places for Business: add Administrator Local Content 4
hajnasiewicz Bing Places for Business Local Search 3
LauraUK Placing a bulk "lock on" directory listings Citations 7
CarrieHill NEW Use Places Scout to Create Visual Aids for Ranking, Monitor GMB Changes & Create GMB Scorecards Local SEO Tools & Software 4
Rich Owings Bing Places error Citations 4
C Service area business has no findable Place ID Google Local 101 6
Justin Mosebach Google Maps Lists (Saved Places) Google My Business & Google Maps 0
liorenda Place ID for SAB Service Area Businesses 3
T Will GMB consider a review placed by a customer who was taken to court for a Judgement recovered by the business as Spam or Fake Comment? Local Reviews 1
Colan Nielsen Google Now Displaying "Place Topics" on Desktop Google News: Important Changes & Features 1
S Google places email signature with updating review count Google My Business & Google Maps 9
vivekrpatel How Do We Generate Google Place API? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
JoyHawkins When did Bing Places Remove the Option to Add Categories? Local Search 5