More threads by Jason Kamara

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I had to resend a verification postcard for a G+L page since my client fears he may have thrown his out. The address information that is automatically entered onto the postcard is incomplete. It doesn't include the postal code (Canadian version of zip code) or the country.

No matter how I format it in the page profile, it's excluded from the postcard. In its current form, the information is not complete enough to be routed to my client's address. Has anyone else experienced this?

The page is at: https://plus.google.com/b/113348043753118563457/113348043753118563457/about

To make matters worse, it's stripping the ordinal ending off of the street number so 8th Street becomes 8 Street. Maybe it's time to try that fancy new G+L phone support.

postcard-address-bugs.png

Hi Jason,

Are you trying to verify a G+ Local (Google Places) page or are you trying to verify the merging of the G+ page with the G+ Local page?

Thanks for the replies, Colan and Linda. I set it up as a Local page. I even screen shot the setup process in the event that something like this happened (I've attached 2 of them below).

I setup a local business with no previous Places listing or G+ business page. There was no listing for this business so I had to add a new one. However, I wasn't given the option to choose a business category. Is it possible that I was switched to a regular business page setup mid-process? I've just started working on the page so I'm considering deleting the page and creating one in MapMaker first this time. I would appreciate any input.

Linda: thanks for the clarification on phone support limitations. I read that somewhere else this morning and should have expected as much.

registration-problem01.png

registration-problem02.png

I setup a local business with no previous Places listing or G+ business page. There was no listing for this business so I had to add a new one. However, I wasn't given the option to choose a business category. Is it possible that I was switched to a regular business page setup mid-process? I've just started working on the page so I'm considering deleting the page and creating one in MapMaker first this time. I would appreciate any input.

Linda: thanks for the clarification on phone support limitations. I read that somewhere else this morning and should have expected as much.

Yep there is no option for business catgories in G+ Business pages and some other stuff is missing and it can still be a little buggy. As you've already experienced just trying to verify.

Plus you know once you set up in G+ OR merge, you can't do any editing in the Places dash, right?

If it were me, knowing all I know, I would not set up in MM and do G+. I would forget G+ for now and set up in Google Places dash and wait on G+ for now.

If he's really into social do a G+ Page set as local cat, just don't merge yet. Keep them separate til things mature and aren't so BETA. Unless that is you like going down the rabbit hole with time wasting problems there is no solutions for yet! That's my recommendation.

Ya on phone support, I told folks over at Mike's it was only for Places dash verification. I think there was some confusion. Then Jade stopped by and confirmed that was correct.

Actually I was trying to create a G+L page. But it does just seem to be a G+ Business page. I should have noticed since there is a video tab on the page. The client's business is less than a year old so he didn't have a Places listing. Are you saying I should create a Places listing? Is this still possible? Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

I only know of one way to create a Local (previously Google Places) listing and that's through G+ profile --> Pages --> Create New Page --> Local Bus or Place. I'm just not sure how I ended up with a G+ Bus page when I chose local and marked it on the map. I also thought that only local businesses had the option to enter business hours in the About tab.

If I try and create a new G+L page, I get the same options for a G+ Business page in the second and third steps- just like in the previous screenshot.

I only know of one way to create a Local (previously Google Places) listing and that's through G+ profile --> Pages --> Create New Page --> Local Bus or Place. I'm just not sure how I ended up with a G+ Bus page when I chose local and marked it on the map. I also thought that only local businesses had the option to enter business hours in the About tab.

If I try and create a new G+L page, I get the same options for a G+ Business page in the second and third steps- just like in the previous screenshot.

No, well yes... That's how you create a Google+ Business page with Local as category. If they never had a Place page once you verify it, then it's kinda like setting up a merged combo page that's like a Google+ Local (Place page) MERGED with a Google+ Page.

"Are you saying I should create a Places listing? Is this still possible?"

YES! That's what I'm saying. Set up a pure Google+ Local (previously Place page) NOT a combo merged G+ page.
I know it's crazy and confusing. Google just totally botched the branding and made it so confusing. The business owner side is still called Places. Just the public, consumer/facing page was re-branded as Google+ Local.

Click here: http://www.google.com/places/ (Note it's still called Places)
Click right "get started button. It will take you to phone lookup page, which is also still branded as
"Google Places". Then you set it up in the Places dashboard, just like before.

You'll end up with a live listing when you are done which is now called a Google+ Local page. (It will show in local search and have a write a review button, but no social features, no follow button, posts or circles.)

Tired, so even as I write it , still seems confusing. Bottom line... So IF totally new listings and no Place page ever existed you can do it either way.

Via G+ is like a merged page (Place page and G+ page combined) but you can only manage in G+ features are missing and it's still BETA and buggy.

OR you can set up in Google Places dash, just like the old days and not integrate with G+ at all yet. Then you have a pure Google+ Local page without the social features, but can merge with G+ later when more mature.

Again tired... did that explain or is there still confusion?

Thanks so much, Linda! You saved me a lot of problems down the road! And thanks for the late night reply. Your tireless work is much appreciated.

You're welcome Jason.

If anyone is still confused about whether or not to merge with or create in G+...
Blumenthal, myself and even Jade say wait, it's still a little buggy.

See this important post where we all share in detail about the problems. http://localsearchforum.catalystema...le-local-really-broken-whos-charge-whats.html

Yes it's find to go ahead and create a pure G+ Business page set as local category if a client wants
to do social. Just don't verify/merge yet and keep your Place page separate, managed in the
old Places dash for now.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom