Dev

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I've run into a pretty confusing issue with a client of mine. I work primarily with car dealerships and the typical sitelinks you see under their SERPs are their profit center pages (New inventory, used inventory, etc). However with one of my clients their sitelinks are showing one with the slug as the title.

frederick_site_lnks.jpg

The main page for Used Inventory listings is
Code:
http://www.darcarstoyotaoffrederick.com/used-inventory/index.htm
.... The page with the URL ending in just /used-inventory/ isn't even in the sitemap but clearly it exists. We have tried setting up a 301 but it didn't work. We have demoted the sitelink in webmaster tools (several months ago) and it is still appearing in the SERPs.

frederick-sitelink-demotion.jpg

If we cannot get Google to show the correct page we would at least like for it to display a page title and not the slug for the page. Does anyone have an idea of how we should proceed?

Thank you all very much for your time and help on this confusing issue!!
- Dev

frederick_site_lnks.jpg

frederick-sitelink-demotion.jpg

djbaxter

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Try putting this at the top of your .htaccess file:

Code:
directoryIndex index.htm
Options All -Indexes

That should take Googlebot to the actual page at least and in due course it should be corrected.

Also check: Are there any navigation links anywhere on the site that match the URL Google is showing?

Dev

Reaction score
Thanks DJ! Unfortunately our sites don't have an htaccess file and if they did the analysts wouldn't have access to server side stuff anyway.

Dev

Reaction score
We do everything in house. We build their websites then optimize them. With no htaccess file I'm not sure what I should say in my request to our IT department.. They said they set up a 301 from that page to the proper page with /index.htm at the end of it but for some reason the redirected page is still fully accessible but nowhere to be found on the site's sitemap.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S Bulk Upload for Changes - Weird Situation Google My Business & Google Maps 0
H The weirdness of organic results for certain queries Local Search 3
F Weird GMB Performance (Local Falcon) Google My Business & Google Maps 4
S GMB suspension with weird response Google My Business & Google Maps 5
L My business got suspended and then reinstated but something weird happens Help & Support for Google Local 3
Terry Local search results acting weirdly? Local Search 4
S GMB Weird info Local Search 1
F Weird Maps Problem - Disappearing But Still there! Local Search 1
A Weird Email from Google? Google My Business & Google Maps 14
Chris Ratchford Weird URLs in Google Analytics Organic SEO 5
H Weird results for "dispensary near me" Ranking Puzzles 6
N How to remove weird location that doesn't exist? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
stryker Google picked up a really weird title from my new website. Local Search 3
R Weird SEO Problem - No Longer Ranking in Some Areas Ranking Puzzles 4
RSWHTN Weird SEO Problem - No Longer Ranking in Some Areas Ranking Puzzles 4
timcapper Very Weird Map Listing Display in Turkey Google My Business & Google Maps 0
O Google GMB acting weird. Local Search 11
M Weird SERPS Local Search 1
M Weird Spike Local Analytics Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Linda Buquet Why are my Reviews not showing in SERP 7 Pack? Weird Merged Dupe Problem Local Reviews 3
D Weird site ranking Local Search 5
Tyson Downs Well this is weird..... (New Google Dash) Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Phil Rozek Weird date range showing in 7-pack results Local Search 5
S Weird "Scare Tactic" Email From Google Adwords Express? Google My Business & Google Maps 7
C Weird results for verizon stores Local Search 2
A Updating sitelinks in Google search for 404 pages Organic SEO 6
jared.ray Irrelevant Location Page in Organic Sitelinks Multi-Location Issues 1
B Sitelinks Local Search 3
D Google Generated Sitelinks Help & Support for Google Local 6
W Located in issues NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
JamesGreenaway Map pin showing competitor and also direction issues Google My Business & Google Maps 3
E Issues with managing business pages on Facebook Citations 3
dateinadash Will changing https:// to https://www cause an issue with rankings? Organic SEO 3
dateinadash This location has been suspended due to quality issues - going round in circles! Please help? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
NevenaIvanova Brand Visibility Issue Caused by Building Entity Google My Business & Google Maps 2
J ISSUE: We are not accepting new registrations Contact Us Messages 1
djbaxter Warning issued to adta Warnings and Bans 0
A Google My Business Provider Program API Access İssues Recycle Bin 0
AndiFox GSC issues? (Flatliners) Local Search 2
djbaxter Warning issued to TraceyTaylorwnS Warnings and Bans 0
H Issues with downloading locations - bulk verified account Google My Business & Google Maps 2
djbaxter Warning issued to blanka_polkadot Warnings and Bans 0
C Issue on Mobile Forum Tech Support 1
A Big Issue with Google Map Rankings For Everyone Local Search 9
PKLilikoi "Redirect Notice" in Google causing Toxic Link issue in Tools Organic SEO 3
W Listing Claiming Issue Google Local 101 6
L Issues With Bulk Verification for Enterprise Organization Multi-Location Issues 1
djbaxter Warning issued to FatSniper Warnings and Bans 0
rossdunn Odd Issue with Practitioner Listing All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 3
JoyHawkins [Technical Issue] Don't Change the Address on Service Area Business Listings Google News: Important Changes & Features 5