More threads by sixthcitysarah

Reaction score
Working on a new office listing and we no longer use Yext, so in trying to do a ton manually, I was curious which ones still hold value nowadays?

I have seen mixed things on if they even are still "important" for local SEO, or if they are simply just a means of brand reputation management.

Besides obviously a GMB listing, what other listings would you say are necessary?

@sixthcitysarah, here are the sites typically in my flight path (for US clients):

A couple may not be applicable or worth the effort, depending on your industry. YMMV. Speaking of which, you'll want to spend just as much effort digging up and working on "niche" citations: listings on sites specific to your industry, or area, or both. Whitespark has some good lists of those: Local SEO Resources & Guides - Whitespark

Hey, @sixthcitysarah!

More and more, citations are seen as something to serve the customer rather than local SEO rankings, so primarily you'll want to get found on any sites your clients' customers would be present on. For this, I'd recommend using a free tool such as our Local Listings Health Scanner — it shows you if the business in question is present on 15 of the major listings sites and/or if any NAP errors are present.

I'd also recommend getting listed on niche citation sites that are more industry-specific. A list like this should help with finding the relevant sites: Top Local Citations by Business Category.

Best of luck :)

@sixthcitysarah, here are the sites typically in my flight path (for US clients):

A couple may not be applicable or worth the effort, depending on your industry. YMMV. Speaking of which, you'll want to spend just as much effort digging up and working on "niche" citations: listings on sites specific to your industry, or area, or both. Whitespark has some good lists of those: Local SEO Resources & Guides - Whitespark

Thank you so much for sharing!!

From my research, Irrelevant data sites like Hotfrog, Brownbook, City Squares, etc. Offer no value at all. 1- Zero consumer traffic. 2- Not relevant as a citation as it was years ago. 3- No longer ranks as a directory in Google SERP 4- If everybody is doing it, then what value is there, besides the NAP argument we have all used to earn business with mostly fake citation reports that are designed to fear a business into spending money on updating a site that has zero relevance.
This should be a great post...

In addition to what @Phil Rozek said in looking for niche directories, look for hyper-local directories. Examples:
  • Newspaper/TV/radio stations sometimes have a "Business Directory"
  • Tourism directories specific to your location (ex. lancasterpa.com)
  • Chambers of Commerce
  • etc.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom