More threads by beisbol16

beisbol16

Solutions
Reaction score
For my pressure washing company I would like to set up google ads to target 2 areas in Pennsylvania:

1. 18040 which encompasses 4 towns: forks, stockertown, zucksville, and shimerville
2. 18045 which encompasses 5 towns: easton, old orchard, palmer heights, palmer, and lincoln terrace

Do I need to set up many ad targets/keyword match variations to capture "pressure washing service (easton or forks etc)"? Also, do i need to set up separate ads for..

power washing/pressure washing
zip codes/town names
the word "service"/"company"

or can i just target something like "pressure washing service 18045" and it will show my ad to searches for "pressure washing COMPANY 18045", "POWER washing service 18045", "pressure washing service EASTON" etc etc

In other words, is google smart enough to show results for different variations of the same words, like Power Washing and pressure washing, town, ZIP Codes, service and Company, etc.!? Also do I need to include “PA” or “Pennsylvania” in my campaign?

Any tips are welcome! thanks

Solution
Hi there, thanks for coming to the forum.

There are so many ways to set up a Google Ads campaign and target users. I tend to think of user targeting in 2 groups, keyword targeting and audience targeting.

Keyword targeting, which is used in Search campaigns, will allow you to target users as they are searching for different keywords online. So these ads will show up at the top of the SERP when someone searches a phrase equal to or related to what you are targeting in your campaign. Keywords can be targeted by match type: exact match, broad match or phrase match. Exactly match will only show ads if a user types in exactly what you are targeting, ex: "pressure washing in Easton", while broad match will target all searches related to the...
Hi there, thanks for coming to the forum.

There are so many ways to set up a Google Ads campaign and target users. I tend to think of user targeting in 2 groups, keyword targeting and audience targeting.

Keyword targeting, which is used in Search campaigns, will allow you to target users as they are searching for different keywords online. So these ads will show up at the top of the SERP when someone searches a phrase equal to or related to what you are targeting in your campaign. Keywords can be targeted by match type: exact match, broad match or phrase match. Exactly match will only show ads if a user types in exactly what you are targeting, ex: "pressure washing in Easton", while broad match will target all searches related to the keyword, ex: if i am broad match targeting "pressure washing" my ads should show for any search related to that within my targeted locations. Phrase match is similar to broad match, and is less used these days in my experience.

In other words, Google IS smart enough to show results for different variations of the same words if you are using broad match or phrase match targeting in your search campaign.

The other type of user targeting in audience targeting. This means you can show ads to groups of people based on their search history, demographic, location, online habits etc. With this, you can set up custom audiences are people who have searched for things related to pressure washing. Audience targeting can be done in a variety of campaign types. I recommend testing Performance Max, which will dynamically show your ads across Google's ad networks (Search, display, YouTube, Gmail ect.). Performance Max only uses audience targeting, but you can set up multiple asset groups to target difference pre-set audience segments or ones you create.

All said, Google's contextual keyword matching is worlds away from where it used to be, and you do not need to set up old school Single Keyword Ad Groups (SKAGs) anymore. Instead, set up your campaigns to target different audiences, and leverage the contextual keyword matching to take care of targeting multiple variations of your main keywords for you.

Solution

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom