Gsmithmike

Reaction score
I am dealing with this company which has multiple locations all around, as a matter of fact they hired someone long time ago to do SEO and what he did was to create different addresses and "Advertise" on that are with creating different citations. The business itself have 5 locations but honestly i cam across 10 more locations which does not exist. While i can not remove all the locations what is the best choice?
- Shall i correct the business name, create a page for that area, as they do offer service there

- Shall i keep removing the addresses and clean them up

Honestly what happens when a business pretends to have more than the locations physically exists?

Anybody had any situation like this? I know for sure star bucks has multiple locations but services that you go out and service people, what about them, is this against the guidelines and what should i do eventually?

mborgelt

Reaction score
IF any of the fake locations are in the same city as a real location, I would definitely clean them. I would also clean the fake addresses to prevent users from going to a location that doesn't exist, and to prevent directories from picking up the wrong information about the business. To make life easy, you can replace the false info where possible with info of the locations that do exist if the real location is not on that directory. It sounds like their last SEO created a big mess for them.

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Michael is right.

Additionally Google will often suspend the entire account if they find a fake G+ Local listing or other evidence of blatant spam. So then all the locations even the ones that are valid can be penalized.

Gsmithmike

Reaction score
Thanks for the info but the problem is

- if i replace the fake addresses with actual business addresses then i will have duplicate,

- They do not have G accounts so it is only inside the directories not on the G+

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
If it's only on other directories, not as big of a concern.

But FYI Google will likely find them and auto create listings, may have already on some of them.

warrenpd

Reaction score
It really depends on what you want to do here. The correct thing to do would be to mark them as closed. If you do that you will most likely see some negative movement in the local pack with your real locations.

If you just leave them alone you face the possibility of Google finding out they are fake and then penalizing all your listings.

I guess if it were me I would mark them as closed but not do it all at the same time that way it would lessen any hits you would take to the real listings.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
ashikjibon Can I create another GMB page by using the same Business name? (Different Location) Multi-Location Issues 4
K 2 businesses 1 location (5 different locations) Recycle Bin 0
K 2 businesses 1 location (5 different locations) Recycle Bin 0
D Google My Business (GMB) Multiple Doctors & Locations for Same Clinic (with different brands) Google My Business & Google Maps 7
F Google displaying different names for my business locations Google Duplicates & Merges 18
fabaziou Google displaying different names for my business locations Google Duplicates & Merges 18
golfer Business with 3 different locations Local Search 10
A 2 businesses 1 location (5 different locations) Help & Support for Google Local 9
web50local Need Advice: Same Business Name, Different URLs and Locations Local Search 4
Koray Tuğberk GÜBÜR Two Different Business Places at the Same Address: Should I Add Them to GMB? Local Search 1
Craig McBreen Two businesses, different names, point to same website Google Duplicates & Merges 1
Shelly Opinions wanted: Answering Q&A on another GMB panel (within a different category) as a business in the same town Google My Business & Google Maps 8
Caroline Two GMB pages - same business but different names Google Duplicates & Merges 5
H Different business and URL, but with same address Google Duplicates & Merges 15
L Why is Google showing different categories for this business in the same search/view? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
Paul Kargo Local Business for two Different Languages - How to Optimize? Recycle Bin 5
vivekrpatel Local Business for two Different Languages - How to Optimize? Local Content 7
M What is "Google My Business"? and Is it any Different than "Google Maps"? Google My Business & Google Maps 10
Claire Carlile Difference between UK and US lead image in business knowledge panel Google My Business & Google Maps 5
O 4 Different Businesses Same Building Google My Business & Google Maps 14
Gsmithmike Business with Different Branch Names in a city, How to proceed creating citations and doing Local SEO? Local Search 1
A Minor difference in business name NAP in citations. What would the impact be? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 1
axiomdg Minor difference in business name NAP in citations. What would the impact be? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 1
iwebresults Help - 2 Different Addresses and GMB Listings - for 1 Business Google My Business & Google Maps 7
Garrett Sussman What?s the Difference Between Business Reviews and Product Reviews? Local Reviews 2
Ajay Prasad Local listing- Claim two different business under same owner? Local Search 1
C Direction suffix - Would Google see this as two different businesses? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 7
C Direction suffix - Would Google see this as two different businesses? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 7
James Watt What do different demographics look for in a local business website? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
M 'My Business' listing displays differently if logged in/out of Google Help & Support for Google Local 2
Linda Buquet DUPE REMOVED Re: Business has 2 Different... Recycle Bin 0
MichaelW Business has 2 Different Websites with same phone number and address Google My Business & Google Maps 11
D Question about categories on different business listings around the net? Local Search 10
D Great guide on creating landing pages for different business models Local Content 2
Dustybones Great guide on creating landing pages for different business models Local Content 2
Adam Steele One business with two different services. Market separately? Local Search 1
Scott Rawlins Separate Businesses Using Same Address, Different Site and # Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Craig Smith 2 Listing with same phone number but different business Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Erim Foster Business ranking in both organic and maps with two different domains Local Search 4
Jo Shaer When your business has three different addresses Help & Support for Google Local 2
Sunnie Dog Google Place Page For Business That Operates In 2 Different States? Help & Support for Google Local 6
Local Search News Curator Removing Duplicate Listings from Different Business Directories Local Search 2
Jeffrey Taylor Adding a new category to Google my Business Google My Business & Google Maps 4
BekahBerry Multiple service providers with separate books of business, sharing one office, under one company name - What is the best approach to avoid filtering? Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 7
koji Local business with online nationwide services in a post-corona world Google Local 101 4
RobbertKleijwegt Q&A vanished after adding Products to business profile Google My Business & Google Maps 5
djbaxter Google My Business Bug Dropping SAB Businesses In Independence, Kansas Service Area Businesses 1
rickvidallon How Do You Access The Buttons In Google My Business For Online Services? Local Search 4
NevenaIvanova Removing off-topic reviews posted before the business started operation Local Reviews 8
N What category should be selected for such business in GMB? Google My Business & Google Maps 6