More threads by nathangdavidson

Solutions
Reaction score
Hi,

I noticed today that my client has been pushed out of a Local Pack for the query [house extensions east grinstead] in their home town (East Grinstead, UK) - as per the attached.

The listing that has pushed them out is for a hairdresser - so a different kind of extension!

What's the best way to advise Google about this and request that they are removed?

I thought there used to be a way to do this from the Local Pack but can't see the option any more.

My client are top of the organic listings and bubbling under in #4 of the Local Finder.

Many thanks,
Nathan

house-extensions-east-grinstead.png

Hi Nathan,

If the listings are spam in nature then you can report them using this redressal form Business Redressal Complaint Form - Google My Business Help

However if the listings are legit and it's just a matter of Google not understanding the query in this context then that's a different beast to deal with all together.

Thanks Colan, yes the listing is legit, any idea how to deal with this kind of beast?

This one looks challenging. Looking through the results Google clearly thinks this query is intended to surface construction type companies. I'm actually not too familiar with the term as it relates to hair extensions.

Is that what your customers are typically searching to find businesses in your vertical? If it is, you need to make sure your onsite optimization is on point and making it very clear what that keyword means and that it is related to what you do.

I'd also try asking your customers to mention that service in their reviews they leave you (this isn't easy!)

Sorry I totally misread this. Your company is the construction company, right? I thought you were the hair dresser.

Hey Nathan, can you confirm which business is your clients?

Based on what I can see here's what I would start with:

1. Report spam listings that are outranking you using the Redressal Form. "Fixing" spam listings can lead to an "adjustment" of the local rankings which could work in your favor. Use the Local Falcon to identify all the spam listings.

2. The business "The round house hair and beauty" seems to actually be called "The Round House". Fixing that might give it less relevance to "House Extensions"

3. Work on earning Google reviews

"Homeboy Extensions, in the House!" Now that's funny... Good effort Colan. Sorry Peeps, I couldn't resist.

Hello Colan,

Thanks very much for your detailed reply.

1) Tricky one this. It's not fraudulent activity, so I'm reluctant to complete a Business Redressel Complaint Form in case it has a negative impact on their other rankings.

It's more misleading information - but not really on Maps - so I can't see that sending them feedback - via the link provided on the aforementioned Form's page Steps to send us feedback - Computer - Google Maps Help - would do any good either?

The issue is related to who Google have selected to feature in their Local Pack/Local Finder for this search term.

And I've seen plenty more like this. For example, a business located in London being listed in a Local Pack for a search performed in East Grinstead, doesn't seem right either and feels like something I should flag too.

Would you suggest completing the form is still the best action to take here? I wouldn't want this to impact upon the businesses rankings for searches that do have legitimate intent.

Or do we just have to accept that Google isn't going to get it right every time?

2) I will edit the business listing too as you suggest - good idea. I can see that is likely to help with this example.

3) And you're absolutely right, they need to get some Google reviews. I will keep suggesting this to them!

Best wishes,
Nathan

Based on what I can see here's what I would start with:

1. Report spam listings that are outranking you using the Redressal Form. "Fixing" spam listings can lead to an "adjustment" of the local rankings which could work in your favor. Use the Local Falcon to identify all the spam listings.

2. The business "The round house hair and beauty" seems to actually be called "The Round House". Fixing that might give it less relevance to "House Extensions"

3. Work on earning Google reviews

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom