Eric Rohrback

Yeah as a company RedShift (the agency i'm at) uses WPengine almost exclusively for WordPress sites. I use Siteground personally, because I handle site builds and maintenance for some family businesses.

I also have a few test sites I build up and burn to the ground every year or so on Siteground servers lol. It's easier to build up and maintain 5+ sites under the same hosting account if I know they won't live on for much longer. The pricing for add-on domains is much more favorable for me to use Siteground.

Client sites we work with are usually on WPengine though.

Tim Colling

Local Search Expert
LocalU Member
Here's an update for my agency in this regard:

Recently we moved all of our client sites over to Gridpane, running on several server instances, one on Digital Ocean and two on Vultr. We did this after carefully testing the level of functionality, reliability and support that Gridpane offers.

As a result of the change, we will save more than 50% in our annual hosting costs and have more control over our servers. It is not as "easy" as using a service such as WPEngine or Liquid Web, but if you are comfortable with server utilization and management, you should actually have a better outcome overall. That's the way it works for us. Your mileage may vary, as they say.

I hope this information is helpful or useful to some here.

mborgelt

I will throw our hat in the ring here - bionicwp.com.

We also have an option of white label support that included unlimited edits (a fancy way of saying we handle all edits for you and your clients).

Last edited:

mborgelt

Yes, WPEngine support is good but they limit you on plugins you can use and their speeds are so-so.

d2minc

Siteground just recently tripled their renewal prices. We used to use Siteground (was a cheaper option, but still good) and WPX (best) exclusively. WPX hosting has been the best overall hosting I've found. It's not the cheapest but you get what you pay for with Hostgator, Bluehost, Godaddy (by far the worst), etc. With all the hosting companies we've used over the years, as these companies get larger, the quality starts to go down and prices start to go up.

djbaxter

Administrator
Administrator
Don't rule out Knownhost - support is excellent for VPS or Shared.

For dedicated, I recommend Hivelocity, especially their Instant Bare-Metal Servers option which offers great prices for the life of your account. There are VPS servers that cost more.

PKLilikoi

Honestly, my 3 goto for hosting are WPEngine, Siteground, & Gridpane (For Agencies).

mborgelt

Gridpane WAS great, now their support has really struggled with their growth. We were one of their bigger clients and pushed a lot of edge cases for them.

jmshap

i found GridPane to be a little buggy actually. We host all of our customers on a Google Cloud engine running Plesk. The performance is pretty good but it’s expensive. After extensive research we have decided to test WP Cloud Deploy for our larger sites that really should be in their own VPS. Looking forward to seeing how it works.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...

LocalU.org

Google Product Exert

Top Bottom