More threads by mikepcservice

Here's an update for my agency in this regard:

Recently we moved all of our client sites over to Gridpane, running on several server instances, one on Digital Ocean and two on Vultr. We did this after carefully testing the level of functionality, reliability and support that Gridpane offers.

As a result of the change, we will save more than 50% in our annual hosting costs and have more control over our servers. It is not as "easy" as using a service such as WPEngine or Liquid Web, but if you are comfortable with server utilization and management, you should actually have a better outcome overall. That's the way it works for us. Your mileage may vary, as they say.

I hope this information is helpful or useful to some here.

I will throw our hat in the ring here - bionicwp.com.

We also have an option of white label support that included unlimited edits (a fancy way of saying we handle all edits for you and your clients).

Last edited:
I’ve had a great experience with WPengine. Their 24 hour support has bailed me out of many a jam.

Yes, WPEngine support is good but they limit you on plugins you can use and their speeds are so-so.

Siteground just recently tripled their renewal prices. We used to use Siteground (was a cheaper option, but still good) and WPX (best) exclusively. WPX hosting has been the best overall hosting I've found. It's not the cheapest but you get what you pay for with Hostgator, Bluehost, Godaddy (by far the worst), etc. With all the hosting companies we've used over the years, as these companies get larger, the quality starts to go down and prices start to go up.

Don't rule out Knownhost - support is excellent for VPS or Shared.

For dedicated, I recommend Hivelocity, especially their Instant Bare-Metal Servers option which offers great prices for the life of your account. There are VPS servers that cost more.

Honestly, my 3 goto for hosting are WPEngine, Siteground, & Gridpane (For Agencies).

Gridpane WAS great, now their support has really struggled with their growth. We were one of their bigger clients and pushed a lot of edge cases for them.

Gridpane WAS great, now their support has really struggled with their growth. We were one of their bigger clients and pushed a lot of edge cases for them.

Their support is great, for me. Perhaps we don't stress them very much.

i found GridPane to be a little buggy actually. We host all of our customers on a Google Cloud engine running Plesk. The performance is pretty good but it’s expensive. After extensive research we have decided to test WP Cloud Deploy for our larger sites that really should be in their own VPS. Looking forward to seeing how it works.

i found GridPane to be a little buggy actually. We host all of our customers on a Google Cloud engine running Plesk. The performance is pretty good but it’s expensive. After extensive research we have decided to test WP Cloud Deploy for our larger sites that really should be in their own VPS. Looking forward to seeing how it works.
Hey @jmshap - just curious how how WP Cloud Deploy evaluation went. Did you stick with it or move on to something else?

Thanks.

Hey @jmshap - just curious how how WP Cloud Deploy evaluation went. Did you stick with it or move on to something else?

Thanks.
We were not 100% satisfied with it. A little buggy as well. Thankfully, we are now hosting enough customers that we really need more support as well. We decided to go with Cloudways and are very satisfied. Their support is great and it's really nice to have someone else, not us, to rely on for issues. Load times have been really great as well.

Since this bubbled back up....my $.02

I'm a thumbs down on siteground - they are at best 'ok'

Been trying out a few sites on Hostinger - liking them so far but only 6 months in...

YMMV.

Hello,

See, it totally depends on your budget and requirements. If you have a basic website or blog then shared hosting is the best option for you. VPS and cloud hosting is an ideal solution for eCommerce and high traffic sites. For highly secured data and daily transaction sites, dedicated would be the best choice.
So, the first thing about your website requirements then take the right decision.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom