djbaxter

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Google's Medic update, and how to deal with it
Yoast
August 23, 2018

Is the Medic update about intent?
We have a hunch of what Google tried to do with this update: it seems to try and show results that better match the intent of the search. This would fit with another bit of news that came out of Google recently: updated search quality rater guidelines.

Google has teams of search quality raters that look at sites manually and score them according to a manual. This manual recently got an update, and one of the most interesting changes in that update was a new section about the “beneficial purpose” of a page:

Google has also added the concept of “beneficial purpose” to the Quality Rater Guidelines, where raters are not just asked to rate the quality of the content, but also consider whether the page has a beneficial purpose or use to being on the site. What would a visitor to the site gain?

The idea of the “purpose” of a page ties in with the intent a searcher has for a query. Let me explain: If I’m searching for a “LEGO minifigures display case”, I either want to learn how to make one, or where to buy one. Pages in my results should either explain to me how to build one or try to sell me one. If I search for “buy LEGO minifigures display case”, Google can leave out all the pages explaining how to build one.

Our best guess as to what the Medic update did was improve that “match” between intent and results. All of the changes above would make sense with that point of view. The “problem” is that if that’s true, Google’s advice probably is still the best advice on how to do better: build a site that people want to visit. A site that matches people’s search queries and their search intent, and you’ll do just fine.

Read more...

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
djbaxter Robots meta changes for Google and the Yoast SEO Plugin Websites, Software, and Security 0
Jo Shaer Schema through Yoast Local Search 7
djbaxter Free webinar, SEO in 2019, from Yoast: November 20, 2018 Events 0
djbaxter Yoast study of longer meta descriptions Organic SEO 0
djbaxter Yoast's Mobile SEO: The Ultimate Guide Organic SEO 0
James Watt Tip for adding schema to a wordpress site with Yoast Local SEO Tools & Software 16
B Re: Yoast Local Search SEO plugin Recycle Bin 0
cd2 Yoast Local Search SEO plugin Local Search 3
djbaxter WordPress: Major update to Yoast's Local SEO plugin Websites, Software, and Security 0
Nick Rink New Local SEO Wordpress plugin from Yoast Local SEO Tools & Software 10
rich_marlatt Sharing Medical Patient UGC on GMB Post Google My Business & Google Maps 1
MatGee Multiple Practitioners at Medical Office, Is It Possible To Share Reviews? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
MKubot Inside Medical Building (with bad reviews) Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
J GMB listings for medical practice with multiple doctors Google My Business & Google Maps 10
E Shared Medical Office Suite Google My Business & Google Maps 10
djbaxter Did the June 2019 update bury quack medical sites? Google Algorithm Discussions 14
Tim Colling Hospice "Medical Director" duplicate listings with practitioners Google My Business & Google Maps 4
liorenda Possible Effect of the Medic Update Local Search 1
L My Brief but Spectacular Look at Post Medic Attorney Rankings Google Algorithm Discussions 3
L Hard Hit by Medic Update Local Search 6
JoyHawkins October 3, 2018 - Google Medic Algo Update - How Did It Affect Local Businesses? Google Algorithm Discussions 4
J Organic Rankings Recovering From Medic; Local Still Not Improving Google Algorithm Discussions 7
JoyHawkins The Medic Core Algorithm Update - August 1, 2018 Google Algorithm Discussions 47
G Targeting Medical Practices Consultant's Corner 0
D Google My Business for Medical Practices & Practitioners in 2015 Google Duplicates & Merges 2
Dustybones Google My Business for Medical Practices & Practitioners in 2015 Google Duplicates & Merges 2
T Google Medical Practice/Doctor Listings: Citations & Duplicates Local Search 10
Lachlan_Wells Accept/Discard Google Updates - Does this feature work for you? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
TriciaClements Cover Photo not updating Google My Business & Google Maps 8
J Getting Rid of Incorrect Highlights in GMB mobile listing ( highlights you can't update on back end ) Google My Business & Google Maps 1
abbiebeltran GMB Verification Postcard Update - What Does 2021 Postcard Look Like? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
1 GMB Listing Disabled after updating address... Google My Business & Google Maps 12
JoyHawkins Easily See Winners and Losers After an Algorithm Update Google Algorithm Discussions 3
djbaxter Brightlocal Tool shows Large Google Local Search Algorithm Update March 10, 2021 Google Algorithm Discussions 1
Rich Owings Google community challenge to update 100,000 businesses Google My Business & Google Maps 0
djbaxter Core Web Vitals and the Page Experience Update Google Algorithm Discussions 7
rustybrick Google Local ranking update? Google Algorithm Discussions 12
NevenaIvanova Need help with business detail update of a Chinese business Local Search 3
Niki Gross Tracking Variables Removed After Dec. Update Google My Business & Google Maps 1
D Should I Bother Updating NAP on Business Listings and 3rd Party Sites? Citations 7
nathangdavidson Anyone noticed Website fields not being updated in GMB, even though approved? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Hammer Can't enter verification code due to error "To verify your listing, update your business info" All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 3
NickB-Tampa Why does Google keep updating changing the main category on our listings to ones that don't make as much sense? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
S GMB Address Update for SAB Google My Business & Google Maps 2
djbaxter Google December 2020 core update now fully rolled out Google News: Important Changes & Features 0
Dino Google not updating an address. Any ideas? Moving or Name Changes 2
hajnasiewicz How To Update a logo in Wikipedia Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4
djbaxter Forum updated to Xenforo 2.2.2 Forum Software Updates and Technical Issues 0
Professor M Google Maps Update - live status of takeout and delivery orders when you book or order from Google Maps on Android and iOS Google News: Important Changes & Features 0
Y Whenever I publish update for my local business, my local rankings drop for 3-4 days Local Search 1