Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Bryan Heckler shared this SEO Sherpa post at our Google+ Pro community.

When he commented: "+Linda Buquet - easily one of the best pieces of SEO content I've ever read." I knew it was something I had to share here.

16 SEO Experiments And Their (Surprising) Results

How do you decipher the SEO myths from the matter and the hear say from the fact?

You turn to science, that’s what!

BONUS: Download every single SEO experiment contained in this post as a handy PDF guide you can print out or save to your computer.

In this post I’m going to share with you 16 amazing SEO experiments that will challenge what you thought to be true about search engine optimisation.

I’d even go as far as to predict these SEO studies will change the way you do SEO forever.

Are you ready? Because, everything is about to change for you. Yes?

Above is just a snippet, so head over to read the rest.
If Bryan says it's good - it is!

FYI, I have not been able to cross promote content between here and the Pro community due to my broken hand, so you guys are really missing out if you are reading posts both here and there!

What's your fav experiment or tip?

<meta property="og:type" content="article"><meta property="og:title" content=""><meta property="og:description" content="">
<meta property="og:image" content="">

Reaction score
Interesting. There was a post just a day or two ago asking about giant link lists for roofers, looks like one of the experiments here directly relates. 'Common Sense' would tell me that getting a link on a page with thousands of other links is a waste, but I've seen in my own competitive research that industry links like that seem to be common for top ranking businesses in the industries I've looked at too. I still feel like I'd rather build back-links in other ways though, but that might be just a misplaced bit of professional pride.

Getting more images with good alt tags for backlinks is an interesting thought I hadn't considered much. Combined with the 'only the first link counts' experiment, I suppose that means if you're getting attributed as an author or something, you should pick either your image or a link, and not both?

The heavy boost for exact match anchor text is interesting too, though my understanding is that the anchor text diversity penalty is from Penguin, which isn't real time yet (?) so... maybe it has more juice, but maybe you're opening yourself up to a penalty a few months down the line (and I imagine that'd be really hard to track?) I know nothing about the intricacies of Penguin and penalty tracking though, so maybe Marie or someone else will see this and weigh in.

Lastly, I'm not all that surprised that no-follow and outbound links (to authority content) have some (though not as much) positive boost. Also not surprised by the duplicate content, since the whole news industry seems to revolve around dozens of virtually identical stories hitting the wires at once, and google seems to pick the winner based on site authority, so... that seems to match up there.

Thanks for sharing Linda! I had it open yesterday but couldn't wade in. Still feeling under the weather, and that article definitely takes more than the twitter-sized level of focus I was ready to bring to the table last night. Glad you reminded me to dive in this morning!

mborgelt

Reaction score
Lots of great info thank for sharing. I have read in the search quality doc that external links to relevant sources help establish authority but I had never seen it in action.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
P I need a recommendation of a person implementing Schema.org (vast experience in json-ld and SEO) Local SEO Job Board 4
dave101 Looking for an SEO consultant with experience optimizing IT support companies Local SEO Job Board 1
Brian Bender Any experience using BrightEdge for local SEO? Local SEO Tools & Software 0
Linda Buquet Mobile Local Search: Goldmine, Micro-Moments & Mobile User Experience - Via Rio SEO Mobile & Social 1
Linda Buquet 10 SEO experiments that will change the way you do SEO Organic SEO 2
Travis Van Slooten Who Wants More Clients? PPC and Ongoing SEO Experience Required Consultant's Corner 6
Shelly Pros & Cons of Facebook Locations for Local SEO (for a Credit Union) Multi-Location Issues 3
rich_marlatt What Wordpress plugins do you recommend for SEO and Schema Markup? Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4
rich_marlatt Do the number of backlinks from a domain have any impact on local SEO? Local Search 2
brettmandoes Hiring SEO Analyst - Full Time - Remote Accepted Local SEO Job Board 1
ganapathy Wix Platform From SEO point of view Websites, Software, and Security 4
Annika Neudecker One year later, is your GMB/local SEO traffic still up? Local Search 3
Chandra What is the state of reputation management in SEO and marketing? Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 1
djbaxter New Local SEO tool from BrightLocal: Local Search Grid Local SEO Tools & Software 7
F Turkish post: Google My Business local seo Recycle Bin 0
F Google My Business local seo Google Local 101 3
A Pointing SEO friendly domain to old domain and its effect on GMB ranking? Local Search 4
david.victor Best SEO/GMB Reporting Tools for Outreach? Consultant's Corner 4
B SEO A/B Testing is possible... And it is easier than you think Recycle Bin 0
J Voice SEO suggestions? Organic SEO 2
M Client Says SEO Should Be Paid By Commission Only Consultant's Corner 15
Kayla Adam Canadian Local SEO Agency Needed Local Search 3
shively Microsoft Clarity (Local SEO heatmap tool) Local Search 2
djbaxter Webinar Technical SEO Help Hour Oct. 28 Events 0
djbaxter Take the 2020 Local SEO Blackbelt Quiz Events 0
C The value of a blog on a website for local SEO Local Search 58
N Local SEO for Franchisee Local Search 4
D SEO Audit Expert / Consultant Needed Local SEO Job Board 1
djbaxter SEO Cheat Sheet for Small Businesses Organic SEO 0
djbaxter SEO Company Sabotages Ex-Client's GMB & Maps Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 0
DanielTexasLira Has anyone done Local SEO on a Dual Pad Hotel (two different hotel brands sharing the same location)? Local Search 6
djbaxter Do SEOs Blindly Believe Google's John Mueller? Organic SEO 2
djbaxter Google on Canonicalization: SEO Mythbusting Organic SEO 0
djbaxter SEO myth-busting: What is NOT a Google search ranking factor Organic SEO 3
djbaxter What SEOs get wrong about Google updates Google Algorithm Discussions 0
georgebizpro What are your favorite on-page local SEO tactics? Local Search 2
Monica Simpson Local SEO Professional ZOOM - July 17th Events 6
CraigJMount 10-Minute Survey Request for People Who Have Hired SEO Agencies Local Search 1
Andrew Shotland Local SEO Guide is Hiring a Sr Director of SEO Local SEO Job Board 0
Monica Simpson Last Local SEO Zoom Friday July 10 Events 0
Monica Simpson Local SEO Zoom - June 25th LSF News and Announcements 0
djbaxter SEO people continue to debate about E-A-T but Google has been clear and consistent Organic SEO 0
L Yelp seo Local Search 2
Monica Simpson Local SEO Zoom - June 19th Events 1
quartercheapersigns Social Media for SEO Mobile & Social 5
Monica Simpson Meet Local SEO professional via Zoom Local Search 1
Monica Simpson Local SEO Zoom Meetup Local Search 1
djbaxter Local SEO Experts You Need to Follow on Twitter Local Search 0
djbaxter New SEO Tool: Was There A Google Update Search Site Organic SEO 0
Monica Simpson Local SEO Zoom Meetup Events 1