More threads by Joseph_Jones

Joseph_Jones

Reaction score
Hi there,

This is my very first thread and I can't wait to hear what everyone has to say on this topic.

My client is a service area business that uses 2 websites. Website #1 has their business name in the domain URL, H1 tag, all over the website. Website #2 uses a keyword they're focused on for their domain URL, H1 tag, but there are parts of the website that actually mention the business name. Both are connected to GMB.

How are they both connected? Website #1 is in the "appointments link" section. Website #2 is the main website URL for organic traffic.

My client likes website #2 because it's mobile-friendly (and they have a point as it performs 3-times better on mobile devices for speed and other navigational elements)... but it's not their main website that they plan on sticking with in the long-run. However, they eventually are getting a new website later in the year or next because they want to use the domain URL that includes their business name; rightfully so.

OK! Now, the question is, should you be linking out to a different website as your main website URL? I think that it's probably confusing to Google to be using 2 websites. Reasons being: 1) I'm building citations to website #1, not website #2. 2) Google doesn't like anything that's duplicated or decreases the user experience and I think that is the case here.

Any suggestions on this would be great! If you have actual evidence that proves 2 websites are bad for your local SEO that I can share with my client, that would also be spectacular! Thank you in advance.

I had an old client that had a second website for appointments. They used that vendor for the appointment URL with no issues. The most important thing is the main website. Google places a major emphasis on the main url for ranking.

I had an old client that had a second website for appointments. They used that vendor for the appointment URL with no issues. The most important thing is the main website. Google places a major emphasis on the main url for ranking.
That's what I thought. So essentially, if I'm going to be building citations and sourcing links to a website, it needs to be the primary on the page. Thank you keyserholiday!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom