Reaction score
I thought you needed to have 5 reviews to get those fancy stars to show up and the rating. I saw a couple listings today with only 4 reviews and they had stars and ratings. Has there been a recent change to this I don't know about?

Travis

jtweav

Reaction score
Not sure. I was just happy when it got down to 5. I've had one of my partner clients at 4 for the last 2 weeks now and he hasn't started showing with stars yet.

Hey and while you are talking about reviews here is fun story about fake review justice in action: Faking Reviews? You Could Get Busted At Any Time | Reputation Management

And if you haven't heard this checkout what happened after Obama got a bear hug in a pizza parlor to their reviews: Obama Bear Hug Leads to a Boost in Online Reviews (Negative and Positive) – ReviewPush

I’m keeping an eye on Mike Blumenthal’s getfivestars.com. But for now I just email past customers from free Mail Chimp and I get at least a 10% response to reviews showing up on Google Places rate. Good enough for my partner clients as their competitors seldom have reviews.

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Reaction score
Thanks Phil. It sounds like you may or may not get star ratings with 4 reviews. I'm perfectly fine pushing for 5. I just thought it was surprising to see a 4 review listing get a star rating.

Travis

Gio Greenard

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just been looking through some search results, this is what I found for one of my clients.

POSITION 1 Competition- 15 reviews, 102 Google plus in circles, 5.0 Google star rating ( 5 stars appear)

POSITION 2 Client- 35 reviews, 57 Google plus in circles. 4.9 Google star rating. ( 5 stars appear)

Both listings are very similar in nature seo wise, I'm wondering if the "102 Google plus in circles" is the defining factor between the two listings.

I will do a citation check now, but i am pretty sure we have far more.

Note- both listings have reviews from around the web.

Reaction score
Gio:

I've wondered that myself - if the number of people in your circles makes a difference in rankings. I wish someone would test this. We've been told by Google that they will be using social factors more and more but to what extent?

Travis

jtweav

Reaction score
If authorship will show for someone with only 5 people in their circles I don't think it matters much yet up hey what do I know. I predict it will matter a lot in the future.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Rich Owings Is this a way to get review star icons for your own site in SERPs? Local Reviews 5
M How do you get the Google Reviews Stars to stick? Local Search 18
KevinJr Can You Get a 5-Star Average on Google with Negative Reviews? Local Reviews 9
Linda Buquet Heat Map Study - New Review Stars, Do they Get the Clicks? Local Reviews 2
PaulSteinbrueck How to get Yelp to recommend new reviews? Local Reviews 5
Toby 39 Celsius Any feedback? GMB Profile reported repeatedly...now cannot get anyone to review and reinstate Help & Support for Google Local 4
T GMB 2 reviews and getting listed, etc. Google My Business & Google Maps 3
JoyHawkins Google Adds "Get More Reviews" Button in Knowledge Panel Google News: Important Changes & Features 3
LocalSEODat Hey Gang - if you get high volume of reviews and only reply to positive ones, is that a bad thing? Local Reviews 2
JoyHawkins Issue with Schools Not Being Able to Get New Reviews on GMB Google News: Important Changes & Features 5
L Get Email Notification for Google Review but not showing in Dashboard Local Reviews 4
PaulSteinbrueck Best Practices for Getting "Recommended" Yelp Reviews? Local Reviews 16
A Issues With Getting a Review From Ex Employee Removed on Google Local Reviews 23
AndySimpson A+ local guide's post getting pushed to the top of the reviews Local Reviews 3
JoyHawkins Google Not Getting Review Flags Google My Business & Google Maps 4
JoyHawkins How Do You Deal With Competitors That Get Fake Reviews? Local Reviews 7
Garrett Sussman 3 Creative Ways to Use Community Events to Get Reviews For Your Local Business Local Reviews 2
T Client Getting Review Spammed Like Crazy - Any Additional Tips? Local Reviews 11
Garrett Sussman How To Get Business Reviews: Back to Basics Local Reviews 0
Garrett Sussman Selling Review Management: How To Get Your Agency’s Foot In The Door Local Reviews 9
Garrett Sussman How To Get Business Owner Buy-in For Online Review Management Local Reviews 2
Garrett Sussman How To Get Your Unhappy Customers To Change a Bad Review Local Reviews 2
Garrett Sussman Senior Citizen Reviews: Getting Amazing Reviews From Low-Tech Customers Local Reviews 2
Garrett Sussman Your Employee Gets Called Out In a Review. Now What? Local Reviews 6
Benjamin Beck How to get reviews in a sensitive niche? Local Reviews 10
Todd McCall Getting reviews from a client's actual location Local Reviews 8
Colan Nielsen 10 Ways Local SEOs Can Start Helping Their Clients Get Reviews Local Reviews 4
Garrett Sussman Get More Reviews: How to Craft a Review Management Strategy for Your Clients Local Reviews 2
S Nifty tool to get a direct link to review on Google Local Reviews 4
JoyHawkins Getting Rid of Slanderous Google Review Local Reviews 3
Linda Buquet How To Get Google Review Links after the G+ Update with Grade.us via Greg Gifford Local Reviews 2
djbaxter Getting Google to remove reviews that label staff racist and autistic Local Reviews 4
Linda Buquet The Fine Art of Asking for and GETTING Local Reviews Local Reviews 6
Priya Chandra You don't need to be 'Local' on Facebook to get reviews Local Search 3
A How do I get ZocDoc reviews to show up on Google My Business page? Local Reviews 8
Margaret Ornsby Fascinating - a reviewer gets fined - are the tables finally turning? Consultant's Corner 2
Dustybones Why you should diversify the sites you get reviews on Local Reviews 3
Tyson Downs Getting Reviews: What Sites Don't Require an Account? Local Reviews 3
Travis Van Slooten How Many Reviews Can Your Listing Have Before Google Gets Suspicious? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
N The best way to get a review after a job? Local Reviews 11
JoyHawkins Getting Google Review Issue in the Media Local Search 3
B Keep getting Being reviewed after verification Help & Support for Google Local 28
harmony How Does Google Choose Service Options in a Review? Local Reviews 2
abbiebeltran Google Reviews Now Have 'Service-Testimonial-Tags' at the Top Local Reviews 1
S Local Services Ads - Fake Reviews Local Reviews 1
djbaxter Google Maps Removed 55M Reviews & 3M Fake Business Profiles Spam on Google 2
E Review Spammer Help & Support for Google Local 2
C Fake google reviews on google my business Contact Us Messages 2
Greg Bernhardt Why some categories show review snippet and some don't? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 1
D GMB showing 2 Review sections at Zero Google My Business & Google Maps 0