More threads by Robin

LOL I will let you know if/when I get caught up on all the ones that have paid for consultations in the last week :)

Haha! Sending a couple more your way today too Joy, so make room on your plate! :p

I work in the automotive industry and found a majority of the local map pack to return to normal after the weekend. As for organic, everything remained the same but noticed one dealership go #1 and a keyword that never produced a local map pack finally displays and another local map pack was removed.

There was just sort of a game changing update on Google Maps.
See post #12 by Broland here:
<a href="http://www.localsearchforum.com/google-local/42925-google-listing-disapeared-recent-update-try.html">Google Listing Disapeared With Recent Update? - Try This</a>

Game changing? See my comment in #15.

Recent Google Snack Pack Update

Hey Everyone

Reading lots of different posts and comments about different things happening after the recent Google Map update. We have clients who have:

1. Organic listings have improved slightly but map listings have gone down and not showing in 3 pack no longer.

2. We have one client whos map listings have dropped quite a bit and for some keywords not showing at all, he is failry new client, 5 months but before this update was showing for main keywords in 3 pack.

3. We have others, including our own company who havent really been affected at all, thankfully.

What confuses me is, for all our clients we do the same type of work. I just cant get my head around what has been done with the update.

Just wondering what others are seeing and testing?

Re: Recent Google Snack Pack Update

We're seeing strong correlations between new listings and filtering. Plumbers and those in similarly saturated markets are seeing shake ups across the board. I'm working on some sure-fire ways to get businesses unfiltered and hope to share it with the community!

I had a home builder client that I had not been able to get in the three pack for 1 year jump to #1 for 3 keywords!!! (he always hovered at position 4-7) Overnight. Unfortunately, he is no longer a client...he got fed up. 99% positive he has not had anyone else working on his SEO so pretty sure its from the "shake-up"; his organic ranking has not changed

RFK, moved your new thread (including Michael's reply) into this existing thread so we have all the different cases/theories in one place. Also moved the whole thread into Google Local IMPORTANT.

Everyone be sure to see the following thread: <a href="http://www.localsearchforum.com/google-local/42925-google-listing-disapeared-recent-update-try.html">Google Listing Disapeared With Recent Update?</a>

Seems there are several new filters at play. One of the most obvious and consistent we are seeing is IF there is more than one business in same building/same category - only one business in that building will rank. So that's something to check if you've had clients drop.

This cray cray update now has a name.

Possum!

Joy Hawkins said: "It's official. We are calling the massive Local algorithm update from September 1 Possum. Have to credit Phil Rozek for the name and Colan Nielsen, myself and Darren Shaw agreed it's fitting."

"Darren Shaw liked it because you can say "awesome possum" and Phil Rozek pointed out that many people think their pages are gone when in fact they're not. They're hiding/filtered (playing possum)."

There are also some great quotes about how ugly and pesky possums are.

Re: Recent Google Snack Pack Update

We're seeing strong correlations between new listings and filtering. Plumbers and those in similarly saturated markets are seeing shake ups across the board. I'm working on some sure-fire ways to get businesses unfiltered and hope to share it with the community!

thanks for your reply, Its funny you mentioned plumbers, one of our clients who took drop in maps is plumber, we been working with him for 5 months, he was brand new company, look forward to hearing your ways on getting unfiltered

I'm really looking forward to hearing your take on it!

Cool! Unfortunately I won't be able to see it live but I'm looking forward to the recording! :)

Also did a separate announcement here:

<a href="http://www.localsearchforum.com/events-webinars/42948-webinar-big-ranking-update-what-you-need-know-joy-hawkins.html">WEBINAR ▶ The Big Ranking Update - What you Need to Know - Joy Hawkins</a>

Here's the Tweet in case anyone wants to do a quick R/T to help spread the word.

As I mentioned elsewhere in a different thread, this was a terrific webinar and very helpful!

Was not able to watch the webinar. But would love to watch the recording. Is there an ETA on it?

Sounds like you've already put this to bed Joy, but I just looked over changes in pre/post-September 1st rankings for our clients (several thousand) and those with suites vs those without... there is almost no difference (certainly nothing statistically significant).

Anyway Joy, thanks again for doing a kickass job getting to the bottom of this. This update really smells like a hard-sell for local ads :\

Thanks. Yeah, we have found suites make no difference.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom