Reaction score
I have a dentist who has a location in a smaller city in New York, but is going to start a brand new practice in Manhattan.

Other than adding the new location onto his website, and maybe making a separate page on the site, is it possible for him to ever rank in the Maps?

I'm thinking with all the competition for Manhattan, he's got a massively uphill battle.

We don't need to create new Google+ Local pages for new location do we?

Any help or guidance would be hugely appreciated.

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Other than adding the new location onto his website, and maybe making a separate page on the site, is it possible for him to ever rank in the Maps?

We don't need to create new Google+ Local pages for new location do we?

Hi Mike - The only possible way to rank in maps is to have a G+L page.

It's standard operating procedure to have a G+ L page for each location.

See tons of other posts her in the multi-location section for tips on how to set everything up right.

Reaction score
Thanks Linda!

So if he has the same name for both locations, as well as website URL, won't they compete against each other?

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Same name and same site is how everyone, even the huge multi-location clients do it.

Check out Roto-Rooter for example. Tons of locations. All same name and site but they usually rank high for each different city.

No if they are different cities, each will have a chance at ranking in their own city.
Just be sure to do a sep landing page for location 2 and link your G+ L listing to that page.

Now if both were in the same city it would be a little harder and yes to a large degree they'd both be competing for City+ Keyword. But in this case, sounds like different cities.

The new location will be hard to rank no matter how you cut it. Both cuz it's new and because it's a competitive market. So it will take some time and work.

Reaction score
Would love to know what consultants in here would charge for maps rankings service for this brand new, Manhattan practice.

Even ballparks would be interesting to hear.

And timeframe expectations.

Reaction score
Linda,

I just found out his new location he is sharing with his sister who is a neurologist.

Won't that be a conflict regarding google local to have 2 businesses with the exact same address and phone number?

He said they can't add a suite as it is one location specific.

Mike

Same name and same site is how everyone, even the huge multi-location clients do it.

Check out Roto-Rooter for example. Tons of locations. All same name and site but they usually rank high for each different city.

No if they are different cities, each will have a chance at ranking in their own city.
Just be sure to do a sep landing page for location 2 and link your G+ L listing to that page.

Now if both were in the same city it would be a little harder and yes to a large degree they'd both be competing for City+ Keyword. But in this case, sounds like different cities.

The new location will be hard to rank no matter how you cut it. Both cuz it's new and because it's a competitive market. So it will take some time and work.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
A Will adding a secondary category that requires a physical location trigger re-verification for main service based category? Local Search 1
N Local services Ad Approach for Businesses with Multiple locations on one GMB Account Paid Search and Local Service Ads 4
rayrober Google Ads location extensions causing GMB issues Local Search 2
G Adding location in a larger city Local Search 4
Chaddow Problem with adding managers to locations for use with the API Google My Business & Google Maps 0
bhartzer Added New Place on Maps.. Google Puts Location as My House Google My Business & Google Maps 2
pbarnhart AdWords Location Display Ad Format Now Available Paid Search and Local Service Ads 1
C Location extension not triggering reviews in ads Paid Search and Local Service Ads 1
Linda Buquet Haha Want a Fake Google Local Location? Place a Classified Ad Spam on Google 6
H Adding a youtube channel to a multi-location business Google My Business & Google Maps 2
M Adding 2nd location Multi-Location Issues 2
M Adding 2nd location Multi-Location Issues 2
M Adding new location? Multi-Location Issues 5
warrenpd Can adding a new location hurt your local ranking Local Search 4
M Adding location based keywords in the name of your GP listing? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
O Best practice for adding new LOCATION Local Search 5
M Google Local Services Ads - Lack of Leads Paid Search and Local Service Ads 0
S Local Services Ads - Fake Reviews Local Reviews 1
djbaxter Passage based rankings, core web vitals, responsive search ads: A rant Google Algorithm Discussions 0
K GMB Adding Old Business Name & Putting True Name in Parathesis Only In English Browser Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Professor M Is Google thinking of adding payment capabilities to GMB listings/website? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
djbaxter Enhanced Search added. Forum Software Updates and Technical Issues 0
MatGee Adding Make Appointment Button to GMB Google My Business & Google Maps 1
djbaxter Google on Interstitial Ads: Do what we say, not what we do Organic SEO 0
ryannbull We have added a question to our client's Google My Business Q&A section and it keeps disappearing. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Help & Support for Google Local 4
L Local Service Ad for Attorney Paid Search and Local Service Ads 1
S Added the Year and Month the Business Started - Listing was Immediately Suspended Help & Support for Google Local 7
djbaxter Google services down Dec 14, 2020: Google Ads, Google Analytics, Search Console, more Google News: Important Changes & Features 1
RobbertKleijwegt Confused after adding Product Posts to listing Google My Business & Google Maps 8
H Map Pack Ads for Service Area Business Google My Business & Google Maps 4
nathangdavidson Anyone noticing reviews not being added to profiles? Local Reviews 5
JoyHawkins Are Local Services Ads Stealing Clicks from Google My Business? A Case Study of 110 Listings Paid Search and Local Service Ads 0
djbaxter SVG added as accepted image format Forum Software Updates and Technical Issues 0
M Decreased traffic to Google maps due to local service ads Paid Search and Local Service Ads 1
Adam C. Google Ads Phone Support Paid Search and Local Service Ads 6
BenFisher Google My Business Adding Reinstatement Request Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Scott ClientClicks Call Tracking for Local Service Ads Paid Search and Local Service Ads 4
NexstarNickR Google Local Service Ads: Price Increases due to Bidding Rollout Paid Search and Local Service Ads 3
D Is adding emojis to business name gets penalty from GMB? Local Search 1
N Cost of Local Service Ads (LSA) Paid Search and Local Service Ads 15
J Local Service Ads (LSA) impact on GMB calls? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 2
Bryan Bloom Users added to a GMB but never get an invite.... 👿 Help & Support for Google Local 5
RobertCarnitas Google Merchant Center Product Ads Paid Search and Local Service Ads 1
Scott ClientClicks Local service ads - change link? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 2
djcoppedge GMB Adding Irrelevant Services in Bulk NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
djbaxter Google Ads bug: That mysterious f.txt download file Websites, Software, and Security 0
ganapathy Default Google Ads Extension Phone Number (Advanced information section) in GMB Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 2
NevenaIvanova Adding Floor to Hotel's address? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
djbaxter Ad Blocker Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 0
Rich Owings Is anyone having trouble adding users to GMB listings? All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 5