More threads by Mike Pedersen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Is it okay to change the main name (title) in a G+ Local account? Currently it's not ideal.

Unfortunately, I coming across many clients who hired Yodle, which creates a duplicate G+ Local listing AND another phone number.

And, should the title preferably be city + dentist, or his name?

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it okay to change the main name (title) in a G+ Local account? Currently it's not ideal.

Unfortunately, I coming across many clients who hired Yodle, which creates a duplicate G+ Local listing AND another phone number.

Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike,

It's ok to make minor name changes. If it's a major change, like a a re-branding you need to close it and create a new page. If the name contains a major violation, you should edit.

Keep in mind that even a minor edit to a business name could trigger a verification, which could cause some issues. Usually small business name edits won't be a problem though.

The business name used in the Places dash MUST be the real world business name. Adding city to a business name if it's not part of the actual name is a major places guideline violation.

If you are dealing with dentists there are a bunch of other issues to consider with names of the practice listings vs the individual practitioner names.

Mike there is no "ideal" name. There is only the REAL name. And like Colan said sometimes there are multiple versions of the real name, so then you need how to pick the best one, and how to handle practice name vs Dr. name and how to deal with the Dr dupes.

The number one reason listings get suspended is adding KWs or City to the name.

PLUS, if you change the name to a made up name you just think is "ideal" it can cause lost reviews, mess up all their natural citations and send you back to beginning of ranking cycle so they won't rank at all for 6 - 8 week.

All this is covered right in the beginning of my advanced course even though most pros already know it. Even thought it's Places 101 to know this and it's so basic, I cover it because even pros sometimes get the name wrong because they miss the 1st most important step which is how to research the name - the most important part of N. Because like in the example below, often clients even have their name wrong on their existing Place pages.

I just did consulting for a very high end Local SEO company, very well known. They had a Dentist stuck down and #25 and could not move him up.

There were several things off, but the biggest was that they got the name wrong - so they were building EVERYTHING on a broken foundation. (And they were not even KW Stuffing the name, it was just not the correct name.)

So for example (using a fake name) - The real name was Alpine Family and Cosmetic Dentistry. When they took on the client though the name the client had on the Place page was Alpine Dentistry - Dr. Smith DDS. They left it that way. (Neither part of that name had many citations.) So they started adding citations with that name.

Turns out the real name Alpine Family and Cosmetic Dentistry had ALMOST A MILLION CITATIONS. It's not the # that's important here it's the amount of trust has in that name. If the algo sees that many mentions OVER YEARS, it's going to trust that's the REAL name - and in this case it was.

When I still accepted clients I only worked with Dentists. 95% had their name WRONG on their Place page when I took over. So if you work with Dentists it's a pretty big deal to understand, know how to do all the research and to get this very 1st part right, for the benefit of your clients.

Otherwise, you have to do all these heroic measures and all this extra work to try to force ranking when the problem was that you were building everything on a broken foundation to begin with.

Last edited:
If you just read this a minute ago - I just added a lot to it, so refresh and read again. Sorry for all the typos before too. I can't type or think when I 1st wake up.

Thanks,
Mike

Yodle:
Claim that duplicate page via the old places dashboard and then delete it from Google.

City + Dentist:
Not necessary, focus on ensuring that all of their citations have correct NAP, categories, content, etc.

Also, adding "city+profession" into what is the "Business Name" can penalize you clients and have their listings suspended as well Google may attribute their reviews to a business/dentist with a similar name.

Ideal Name:
Whether you are managing the G+ page for the individual dentist or dental practice, the name should be consistent with their citations.

If it currently shows "Last Name, First Name, DDS":
you can make the small change and rearrange the name, not a major issue.

If you want to make the name "Dr. Jack - NYC Cosmetic Dentist":
Don't do that. You can have that listings suspended and reviews migrated to another local competitor.

Another thing to look out for:

See if Google has linked any citation sites to the Google+ Local page and find the commonalities between them. This will give you an idea on what the business name should resemble.

Hope this helps.

Yodle:
Claim that duplicate page via the old places dashboard and then delete it from Google.

Hi Stefano,

This technique rarely works anymore, especially if the listing is claimed in another dashboard (Yodle's) which will continue to feed the duplicate even if he claims and "deletes". Do you experience success using this technique these days?

Best bet for dupes is to use the Toubleshooter or Google's call support.

Yodle:

Thanks for the tips Stefano!

However like Colan said that does not usually work any more.

Google will no longer delete anything from maps just cuz you tell it to in the dash. That's sort of the old old way of trying to deal with dupes but does not work any more.

I've even seen businesses in the G forum say "I claimed and deleted my listing from maps in the dashboard - it won't go away. I want it off Google period or I'll sue you!" Google still will not delete it if there are any supporting citations.

So NEVER claim dupes any more. It can cause probs. Like Colan said you need to use report a prob or troubleshooter.

Hi Stefano,

This technique rarely works anymore, especially if the listing is claimed in another dashboard (Yodle's) which will continue to feed the duplicate even if he claims and "deletes". Do you experience success using this technique these days?

Best bet for dupes is to use the Toubleshooter or Google's call support.

Hi Colan,

Absolutely, we have gone this route and it has worked out well for us with verification issues. Even if it is claimed by Yodle currently, you can re-verify in a new account which will supersede Yodle's initial claiming of the listing.

That being said, you're right on calling Google support. Making them aware of the situation would be a good way to go as well. If Yodle's activity on the listing has been inactive for long enough they may just remove the listing since it is a duplicate.

Troubleshooter would be my last resort since it can be clunky and doesn't always work for all issues.

Thanks for the tips Stefano!

However like Colan said that does not usually work any more.

Google will no longer delete anything from maps just cuz you tell it to in the dash. That's sort of the old old way of trying to deal with dupes but does not work any more.

I've even seen businesses in the G forum say "I claimed and deleted my listing from maps in the dashboard - it won't go away. I want it off Google period or I'll sue you!" Google still will not delete it if there are any supporting citations.

So NEVER claim dupes any more. It can cause probs. Like Colan said you need to use report a prob or troubleshooter.

Thanks Linda!

Oddly we have had it work for us a recently (within the last month).

I think it may work for Mike since his client was using Yodle and they usually just create the G+ Local page. That's why I recommended claiming it via Google places dashboard. However, if they did create citations for his client, then perhaps it may be best to go via Google support.

Thanks for the update on duplicates with citations. Will keep this in mind!

I hope it's ok to add to this thread since it's about claiming listings and different business names...let me know if you want me to start a new thread

If one client operates several different businesses out of the same building and office, can you claim listings for each...currently there is no separate suite # assigned. There are different phone numbers, however...

Otherwise, how do you choose the best business name to use for the places listing?

@Shonda

If they truly are separate businesses, then it?s OK to claim them. However, that?s a big ?if?: pretty much every time I?ve had clients who say they run ?multiple businesses? out of the same address, when I dig deeper they finally confirm my suspicions that ?Well, they?re not legally separate businesses, but we have these different DBAs.? That is not kosher by Google?s standards. Unless they are legally separate businesses, I would suggest not even going down that road; just have one listing.

As for the name, I?d like to echo what Linda said - that the only name you should use is the real name, preferably exactly as it appears on your business papers. (I only use wiggle words here because if it contains ?LLC? and you don?t want your DBA to include ?LLC? or whatever, that?s fine. Google won?t whack you for that.)

@Shonda

If they truly are separate businesses, then it’s OK to claim them. However, that’s a big “if”: pretty much every time I’ve had clients who say they run “multiple businesses” out of the same address, when I dig deeper they finally confirm my suspicions that “Well, they’re not legally separate businesses, but we have these different DBAs.” That is not kosher by Google’s standards. Unless they are legally separate businesses, I would suggest not even going down that road; just have one listing.

As for the name, I’d like to echo what Linda said - that the only name you should use is the real name, preferably exactly as it appears on your business papers. (I only use wiggle words here because if it contains “LLC” and you don’t want your DBA to include “LLC” or whatever, that’s fine. Google won’t whack you for that.)

Totally agree with Phil on both counts.

Multiple businesses at same address NORMALLY does not fly. Especially if same owner and related industries. For example an atty practice may set up a bunch of different sites and Place pages for different "names" they use for different specialties. OR an auto repair might have a site called Audi Repair and another for BMW repair. Does not matter if diff phones and sites. Does not even matter if they have diff DBAs sometimes. If you walk in no matter if you came in via the Audi Place page or BMW place page and it's really the same place doing all the work - then it's more like a diff division of the company OR usually just a different name for marketing purposes.

And especially if it's a home based or service area business it won't fly unless distinct and separate businesses and hopefully different owners. So lets say the wife is a photog and the husband a plumber. Different industries, phones AND IMPORTANTLY different service providers. You call the photo business and you get the wife and she does the work. Call the plumbing business and it's the husband.

In my training you are taking now again, remember when I keep saying "learn to think like Google and identify spam and scam patterns." (Or sometimes just honest mistakes.) One of the things Google has to fight is lets say John, an HVAC guy who sets up 3 different sites and Place pages - One for Heating, one for air conditioning, one for air duct inspection. You call any of the numbers for help - You'll get John. It's really just one company - even if he goes to the trouble of getting 3 DBAs.

I agree with Phil too on the wiggle words - in both directions. For instance if name is Alpine Dental Inc or LLC and all that's on the page is Alpine Dental I would not 'normally' risk editing to add Inc or LLC. If on the other hand on the page it was listed as Alpine Dental Inc but most citations were just Alpine Dental I also would not risk editing to delete the Inc from Place page. (Again I say USUALLY because it totally depends and you need to carefully research and weigh any NAP changes.) But in all cases above, it's not broke - the core name is still in there and no extraneous words were added.

Thanks phil and linda. They ARE related businesses and i think i have decided which one i will go with. however, for the many mixed up listings that are out there i guess i just report as dupes? the bummer is that the listing i will have to claim to keep within the guidelines is not the one she wants to drive business to...it is the parent company under which all the specific businesses are listed...so the subsidiaries wont show up in search...but cant think of a way around that can anyone else?

Stefano,

What do you mean "re-verify" it?

He has 2 incorrect G+ Local listings. I'm wondering if I claim and delete both, and start fresh? If so, do I create the new one first, then delete the 2 incorrect ones?

I don't want to screw this up for the client.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Hi Colan,

Absolutely, we have gone this route and it has worked out well for us with verification issues. Even if it is claimed by Yodle currently, you can re-verify in a new account which will supersede Yodle's initial claiming of the listing.

That being said, you're right on calling Google support. Making them aware of the situation would be a good way to go as well. If Yodle's activity on the listing has been inactive for long enough they may just remove the listing since it is a duplicate.

Troubleshooter would be my last resort since it can be clunky and doesn't always work for all issues.

Stefano,

He has 2 incorrect G+ Local listings. I'm wondering if I claim and delete both, and start fresh? If so, do I create the new one first, then delete the 2 incorrect ones?

I don't want to screw this up for the client.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Hey Mike,

No need to delete both, just the duplicate that Yodle created with what I'm assuming is a tracking #.

When I say "re-verify", I'm referring to you claiming the page that Yodle created and having Google send their verification postcard to the business address. Once you verify it from your own account, then you can delete it form Google or call Google local support as mentioned by Linda and Colan to inform them that there is a duplicate which you'd like to have deleted.

Also, verify both of the clients listings in the same account. Having "ownership" of both listings in the same account will make it easier when you talk to Google local support about deleting the duplicate.

I do have a question, do either of them have the social features such as tabs for "Video" and "Posts" ?

Here's the thing!

Neither listing has his actual business name, so I'm wondering if I need to delete both and start over?

He has no ranking and no reviews, so nothing lost anyways.

And if so, do I create the new one first, then delete the other 2. Or, the other way around?

Thanks,
Mike

Hey Mike,

No need to delete both, just the duplicate that Yodle created with what I'm assuming is a tracking #.

When I say "re-verify", I'm referring to you claiming the page that Yodle created and having Google send their verification postcard to the business address. Once you verify it from your own account, then you can delete it form Google or call Google local support as mentioned by Linda and Colan to inform them that there is a duplicate which you'd like to have deleted.

Also, verify both of the clients listings in the same account. Having "ownership" of both listings in the same account will make it easier when you talk to Google local support about deleting the duplicate.

I do have a question, do either of them have the social features such as tabs for "Video" and "Posts" ?

Stefano,

Hang on guys, lots of misinformation here.

No do not claim duplicates.

No should not have the same business claimed twice in dash.

And NO deleting in dash from maps DOES NOT delete from maps. (Read what I said above.)

No it does not make it easier for support to delete one.
(Support deletes dupes that are live on maps. If listings are in dash then YOU have control of them but only should have 1.)

No deleting from dash won't usually delete from maps.

No in most cases anymore Google will not let you RE-claim a listing that has already been claimed. (That update is just rolling out and is not affecting every listing right now but MOST. You can't just claim, have to go through support.)

So most of what's being discussed is incorrect and could cause more problems.

Having said all that it TOTALLY depends on the situation and I can't advise for sure without doing a deep dive and analyzing everything. Because if I see it I might go "oh when you said ABC I thought you meant BCD, but the situation is actually XYZ which is a little easier and there is a better way to deal with this type of problem".

Regarding no longer being able to just REclaim a listing, see these posts:

Dual Owner Reclaiming Lockout on Google+ Local Begins

http://localsearchforum.catalystema...-google-places-dashboard-all-2.html#post15300

So TOTALLY depending on the situation there are a variety of ways to correct or get rid of bad listings. But REclaiming and deleting is not one of them. There are like 6 other options but can't explain which is best without seeing the listings and I know Mike does not like to share links to clients here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom