Jo Shaer

Reaction score
It's a while since I have had to do this for a client and not on the new Places For Business dashboard.

Should I just alter the citations and website and then alter the dashboard listing?

Or mark the business as closed and start again?

Scott Rawlins

Solutions
Reaction score
Are they just changing addresses? Same name, phone, site, etc.? If so, you should just be able make the address change in the new dash and that's it. And yes, be sure to correct all citations to the new address. I would probably start with those, then do Google.

Not sure if it's different in the UK though.

Also, moved this post to the "moving or name change" section since it's a specific issue.

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Thanks for moving to the right forum Scott!
Saved me some carpal pain! Appreciate your help!

Jo Scott is right on. The current procedure is to edit listing. BUT be advised if Google thinks it's a big enough move (and they don't define big) then THEY will create a new listing and mark the old one closed. So for 6 weeks or so I'd just keep an eye out in case new listing is created and CID changes and also to be sure the old one is marked as relocated not closed, with a link to the new listing for the benefit of clients that may search and see the old listing.

If it's right up the street should be fine, but explaining the issue above so you know for cross town moves or whatever.

Erim Foster

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just wanted to check to see if this is still the recommended procedure for an address change.

In my case, the client is a SAB who is moving from one office to another. The new office is in the same metro area, and her service area will be unchanged. But, the new address will be in a different town.

Anything I should be aware of, other than doing a citation cleanup?

Thanks very much in advance.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J Client moves office to a new location a few streets away Moving or Name Changes 6
georgebizpro Client moved, been updating citations but rankings dropping Google My Business & Google Maps 8
d2minc Client Rebranding and Moving - Same Site and Phone - New Name and Address Citations 3
Linda Buquet Client Moved - Duplicate Citations - How to Handle with Moz Local? Citations 1
R Moving clients account from my account to his Consultant's Corner 3
Daniel C Berman Client Moved - Google+ Local shows updated Address but Old Location Help & Support for Google Local 15
Tyson Downs Client Insists on moving Places to Different Gmail/Domain acct Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Chris Ratchford UHGGG. Client moved to new location- Now Google maps to residential neighborhood Help & Support for Google Local 8
Jen Currier Would you set up an Architect client with a Hybrid/SAB GMB listing if the location was residential? Service Area Businesses 2
Jen Currier Is there any advantage, besides a single sign in, to having all clients connected to our GMB account? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Tim Colling I'm getting calls from "Google Maps" at 650-206-5555, asking about clients' hours - are they legit? Google My Business & Google Maps 13
valentinb13 GMB uses residential address—but client wants to use PO Box for other citations... Citations 3
J New client with existing spam Moving or Name Changes 7
LauraUK SAB's - can a client without a Gmail leave a SAB a review. Service Area Businesses 3
M Google changes client's 5 year old, verified GMB to a duplicate listing Google Duplicates & Merges 7
M Google keeps reverting our clients address, no matter how many times we send a postcard Moving or Name Changes 4
Eoghan_MFeed Great customer review we pulled in for a client Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 0
D Client's Competition Keeps Trying to Take His Listing Spam on Google 2
ryannbull We have added a question to our client's Google My Business Q&A section and it keeps disappearing. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Help & Support for Google Local 4
CarrieHill Switchbird Solves Lead Nurturing & Client Communication for Agencies and Their Clients LSF News and Announcements 11
Ben Walsh The client won't drop it with disavowing links Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4
Joe Good Client verified but pending since 10/19/20 Help & Support for Google Local 2
M Client Says SEO Should Be Paid By Commission Only Consultant's Corner 15
S Clients Business name now has an "A" in front of all it's YEXT site listings Citations 1
H Multiple negative reviews and threats from one client Local Reviews 3
LocalSEODat Need help with a suspended GMB - Client had home address as place of biz, then suspended. Fixed to meet customers and got reply with no reason Service Area Businesses 6
coachmarino Company trying to sell client back their own GMB? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
D GMB Expansion for SAB Client who Acquired a Business Google My Business & Google Maps 1
brettmandoes Products - appears for some HVAC clients, but not others Google My Business & Google Maps 5
J Unable to Log Into Client's GMB with Agency Email Help & Support for Google Local 5
djbaxter SEO Company Sabotages Ex-Client's GMB & Maps Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 0
I Client Suspended Thread: Please Help Help & Support for Google Local 5
A Help Client gets "Invitation failed (Role not allowed)" when trying to add Organization ID Help & Support for Google Local 6
C Client with multiple address across citations and web properties All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 3
rossdunn Setting Up Foursquare for a Client Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 3
david.victor Facebook disabled advertising and post-boosting for a client Mobile & Social 4
nathangdavidson Need to change the building name for a client Google My Business & Google Maps 2
CoRichardson Incorrect "Located in" Description in Client's Knowledge Panel Help & Support for Google Local 13
lincolnchan Attribution Links in Clients' Footers Organic SEO 7
Lachlan_Wells When you accidentally connect your fake location to the wrong client Spam on Google 2
georgebizpro Client's local rankings tanked in early/mid September, why? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Lanerizz Tale of Two Cities And A Client on the Border Moving or Name Changes 6
L How do I set notifications for Google my Business edits that were not done by us or our clients and how to know what Google updated? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Bryan Bloom 👉 Ahrefs Users - Are you aware they removed client alerts? Is this an issue for you also? Local SEO Tools & Software 5
nathangdavidson Asking clients to use specific words in Google reviews, against guidelines? Local Reviews 2
J Claiming a Directory Listing For a Client Citations 9
R Clients Willing To Link To Each Other Local Search 5
Barb Davids Create an event that my client works for but didn't create? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
j_holtslander Couple of 12 hour old reviewer accounts astroturfing client. Spam on Google 6
Mmclean07 What’s the best tool for managing a client listings? Local SEO Tools & Software 7