More threads by Travis Van Slooten

Solutions
Reaction score
My new client (house painter) created a GMB listing using his UPS business address about 3 years ago. He wasn't even aware it was against Google's policy. He received the postcard back then, verified the listing, and everything has been fine ever since. I should also point out he has never hidden his address either as he didn't know he was supposed to hide it.

The listing ranks well for many of his keywords and he even has a few reviews. Bottom line, there hasn't been any issues with this listing to date.

So my questions are this...

1. Do I just remove the UPS address from the GMB listing, effectively hiding it, or is there something else I should do? And if I just remove it, is there any risk of his listing getting suspended in the future?

2. Is it going to be o.k. to use his UPS address as his business address on all other citations? That is the address he uses on everything he does - contracts, invoices, bills, offline advertising, etc. He really wants to stick with it because he said that's the business address he's been using for a few years now. He does not want to use his home address on anything - especially anything online as he has privacy concerns.

3. I understand I can use his home address on citations that allow us to hide the address but part of me wonders if it would be best to use the UPS address instead so we're not just restricted to citations where we can hide the address.

I'm just really confused on what is the best way to approach this to give my client maximum exposure without putting his Google listing in jeopardy as we will be working on building reviews on it:) The last thing we want to see is a suspension down the road.

Travis

Google will eventually catch your client. It is best to move the GMB listing to the home or another location. As far as citations go they are not really as important as they used to be, but having your GMB live is priceless. Being suspended is not a fun thing.

Google will eventually catch your client. It is best to move the GMB listing to the home or another location. As far as citations go they are not really as important as they used to be, but having your GMB live is priceless. Being suspended is not a fun thing.

How do I "move the listing to the home address?" Do I just go into the dashboard and change the address? And then remove it afterwards (because we need it hidden)?

Travis

Yep that is the process. Add an address, then clear the address. Then goto verify.

Before you do this, make sure all your legal proofs are ready to go. Update licenses, Secretary of State etc.. with the new address. This is because (depending on category) there could always be a possible chance of suspension.

Yep that is the process. Add an address, then clear the address. Then goto verify.

Before you do this, make sure all your legal proofs are ready to go. Update licenses, Secretary of State etc.. with the new address. This is because (depending on category) there could always be a possible chance of suspension.

Thanks Ben!

This is a little off topic, but speaks to what you are talking about.

No one goes to a painter's address, or the house of an electrician like me. My home address has been on all of my citations for 7 years and never an issue. It's my mailing address for payments. Once in a while a customer will say that they can stop by, I just give them an excuse "Oh that's ok, just throw it in the mail".

I don't consider it a privacy thing either because if someone wants to find the painter they will be able to do it pretty easily.

Just my opinion.

This is a little off topic, but speaks to what you are talking about.

No one goes to a painter's address, or the house of an electrician like me. My home address has been on all of my citations for 7 years and never an issue. It's my mailing address for payments. Once in a while a customer will say that they can stop by, I just give them an excuse "Oh that's ok, just throw it in the mail".

I don't consider it a privacy thing either because if someone wants to find the painter they will be able to do it pretty easily.

Just my opinion.

I agree 100% and have tried my best to convince my client it's not a big deal but he's just too nervous about it. At the end of the day I have to grant his wishes:(

Travis

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom