More threads by Durandl

Solutions
Reaction score
Two very interesting articles/videos came out on the same day from the most respectable local SEO gurus I know.

According to @JoyHawkins Service areas do not impact rankings:

According to Darren Shaw @whitespark they do

🤔

Interested to hear what everyone thinks

Solution
I think Justin nailed it here with this reply and the ranking fluctuations Darren shows are related to hiding and showing the address, which we have seen historically, does have an impact on ranking.

Here is a great myth-buster example. Two of the business profiles ranking are hiding their address and one of them has no reviews. You don't need to have your address showing or need reviews to rank.

garage-door-repair-Google-Search (3).jpg

Okay, so if an SAB client has moved but wants to rank at the new address, is there anyway around this short of showing the address?

Okay, so if an SAB client has moved but wants to rank at the new address, is there anyway around this short of showing the address?

Right now we have very little info on this bug because we have only two known instances.
  • Does it always happen? We don't know
  • Does it happen if you show the address first, then move it, then hide it again? We don't know
  • Is it a temporary bug that Google has already fixed without telling anyone? We. Do. Not. Know. And by god I wish we did!
All we know it this is a situation that can happen, but what exact conditions cause it are unclear at best.

My Google Business profile has 7 reviews and a service area with NO visible address (I have hidden it as it is my home) however I never see my profile showing up at all. I see other Realtors in my area with 0 or 1 reviews showing up instead, that are much less active than me too. I post almost every single day on GMB by providing updates and uploading pictures too, I am trying to do everything right but for whatever reason my profile seems to be stagnant. What gives?

My Google Business profile has 7 reviews and a service area with NO visible address (I have hidden it as it is my home) however I never see my profile showing up at all. I see other Realtors in my area with 0 or 1 reviews showing up instead, that are much less active than me too. I post almost every single day on GMB by providing updates and uploading pictures too, I am trying to do everything right but for whatever reason my profile seems to be stagnant. What gives?
I replied to your original thread and your issue are a lack of citations and your website.

It is not a requirement. But the website has a significant impact on GMB. GMB has the same effect on the website in the ranking.

So perhaps would you say it might be beneficial to remove the website URL from the GMB listing and see how that would fare for a few weeks, as a sort of trial period and/or experiment?

So perhaps would you say it might be beneficial to remove the website URL from the GMB listing and see how that would fare for a few weeks, as a sort of trial period and/or experiment?

Yes, you can do such a test. However, I have not yet encountered a situation where deleting a website has improved the ranking (if everything is fine with the site), most often the total lack of www having interferes with ranking, especially if your competitors have your own websites.

Yes, you can do such a test. However, I have not yet encountered a situation where deleting a website has improved the ranking (if everything is fine with the site), most often the total lack of www having interferes with ranking, especially if your competitors have your own websites.

All of this sounds absurd in all honesty. Why not just show all of the results? My thought is because Google loves to "prioritize" those profiles that advertise. It's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$!

All of this sounds absurd in all honesty. Why not just show all of the results? My thought is because Google loves to "prioritize" those profiles that advertise. It's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$!

That's what the ranking is for, you can't show all the results. Always one auction is rated higher than another. From what I can see, also @keyserholiday directed you what could be a problem in your case and why your competitors are higher.

I currently have the address for my GMB listing hidden. If I want to show it, I have to enter an address. However, if I enter an address that doesn't necessarily match the origin address used to verify the listing, am I at the potential for losing my reviews? I honestly can't remember which address I used to verify, as I used to have 2 listings - one for my home address, and one for a previous office address. I deleted the one with less reviews but can't remember which one that was.

Update: I have discovered two more clients of ours that display this exact bug after a SAB move. I'm now 100% convinced this is the source of the problem.

I currently have the address for my GMB listing hidden. If I want to show it, I have to enter an address. However, if I enter an address that doesn't necessarily match the origin address used to verify the listing, am I at the potential for losing my reviews? I honestly can't remember which address I used to verify, as I used to have 2 listings - one for my home address, and one for a previous office address. I deleted the one with less reviews but can't remember which one that was.

You will not lose your reviews, but you may be asked to validate the profile via postcard again. If it moves significantly away, you are liable to trigger the bug being described here.

Update: I have discovered two more clients of ours that display this exact bug after a SAB move. I'm now 100% convinced this is the source of the problem.

Yes, Google has an issue when a SAB moves. This all started once Google cleared the address in the backend. You used to be able to see the address with the API. The only to fix it is to create a new business profile and move the reviews from the original business profile to the new one.

@keyserholiday Didn't want to start a new thread. I have a client who created their GBP Profile as SAB with an address in a different city than where they are now. They were in Mesa and now are located in Queen Creek, AZ. I've updated citations but not the GBP address. They are struggling to rank on the maps. Are you saying I need to create a whole new GBP profile in order to have the new address in Queen Creek? If so, how do I go about doing that?

@keyserholiday Didn't want to start a new thread. I have a client who created their GBP Profile as SAB with an address in a different city than where they are now. They were in Mesa and now are located in Queen Creek, AZ. I've updated citations but not the GBP address. They are struggling to rank on the maps. Are you saying I need to create a whole new GBP profile in order to have the new address in Queen Creek? If so, how do I go about doing that?

You just need to edit the address. Just make sure you have good documentation to send to Google should it trigger a suspension or reverification. Right now the address is hidden but you can still hit the edit button and unhide the address and edit it to the new location. I know you updated citations but make sure the website is also updated if the address is present there. Your service area can only be a 2 hour driving distance from the new address so make sure you update that at the same time.

Thanks, Claudia. Right now it's showing just the city and state on the website. Is that enough? It's a home address that they don't want to publish on their website.

When you update the address, definitely check in a week or 2 to see if you're ranking now in the new area. If not, you're impacted by the bug referenced on the thread here.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom