More threads by hajnasiewicz

hajnasiewicz

GMB Product Expert
LocalU Member
Reaction score
Search results at DDG appear to be pulling from Bing, does anyone know who DDG partners with as primary data sources? Thank you.

I also wonder who is even using Duck Duck Go. I keep seeing suggestions they are increasing their market share but I can't help but wonder how.

Even Bing is all but irrelevant these days, except for the fact that it's the default search engine in Windows devices. Why should anyone be concerned about ranking in Duck Duck Go?

Google is the biggest and the best, but I can't justify alienated users who prefer Bing or use DDG for it's promise of privacy. I disagree that Bing is irrelevant, and I am interested in DDG SERPs. I use all three for a variety of reasons, work and personal. So back to my original question, hoping to learn who DDG primary search partners might be. Thank you.

I also wonder who is even using Duck Duck Go. I keep seeing suggestions they are increasing their market share but I can't help but wonder how.

Even Bing is all but irrelevant these days, except for the fact that it's the default search engine in Windows devices. Why should anyone be concerned about ranking in Duck Duck Go?

People who want to protect their privacy. That's DDG's customer base. I'm sure they are growing as concerns about privacy grow. We'll just have to see if they can keep up with the demands it takes to improve a search engine.

And I do agree with @hajnasiewicz. Bing is still important. We get traffic from it a lot. But I think their market share consists mostly of people with Windows computers where Bing is the default search engine and the user 1) doesn't know how to change it or 2) thinks they're actually using Google. You'd be surprised how many time 2 happens.

As for the question, I do not know how DDG sources their information. I thought they had an independent algorithm. Maybe not.

As far as I am aware it uses Google but without passing your details. It looks different to Google because Google gives you answers based upon your previous searches, which in my opinion is wrong.

If two people on two different computers put in the same question to Google you will get two different sets of answers. If you both do same with DDG then you will get same answers.

They had/have a search partnership with Yandex. Not sure this is still a thing or not. Their mobile privacy browser has some traction.

Search results at DDG appear to be pulling from Bing, does anyone know who DDG partners with as primary data sources? Thank you.

This article outlines what's important about DDG. They aren't a huge deal yet, but the fact they are growing is something that is worth keeping an eye on if nothing else moving forward.

As for the original question, DDG has a ton of partners they pull from but 2 of the primary ones are Bing and Yahoo. If a site is optimized for Bing/Yahoo, there is a good chance it is optimized for DDG.

This article outlines what's important about DDG. They aren't a huge deal yet, but the fact they are growing is something that is worth keeping an eye on if nothing else moving forward.

As for the original question, DDG has a ton of partners they pull from but 2 of the primary ones are Bing and Yahoo. If a site is optimized for Bing/Yahoo, there is a good chance it is optimized for DDG.
Is Yahoo still a thing? I mean, I struggle with that one...

Even Bing is all but irrelevant these days, except for the fact that it's the default search engine in Windows devices.

...and Alexa devices (along with Yelp for local searches on Alexa).

Is Yahoo still a thing? I mean, I struggle with that one...

Yahoo is technically still a thing, it just isn't a big deal compared to Google. DDG has to pull their info from somewhere and since they stay away from using Google as a source, Yahoo and Bing are the next best options, along with a mix of whatever other sources they use to build their search results.

...and Alexa devices (along with Yelp for local searches on Alexa).

I feel like not enough people realize this about Alexa. It's a very good point to argue in favor of Bing, but it seems like it's flying under the radar so to speak.

Yahoo no longer uses their own algorithm. They use a mix of Google and Bing results, unless something has changed in the past year or so.

Hmm, it's actually true that we haven't seen any meaningful review activity from ay of the arrivals. I do actually use DDG as a 4th mobile browser myself (mainly to get around paywalls, ha ha) so I was hoping it'd be some real competition for the big players.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom