More threads by FriarTuck00

Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this was posted somewhere else but I didn't see it. Is the Google Maps API required for embedding a Google Map onto a webpage? Or can you still embed using the "old" free method?

As of June 11, 2018 all websites need an API key to use Google maps. Without it, you will see this: "This page can't load Google Maps correctly” and the map will display “For development purposes only"

You don't need an API key to embed a map of a place on the website. See this thread for more info.

I believe @FriarTuck00 is talking about embedding a listing for a place on your site, like we do here. Doing this doesn't involve the API at all and is still free. Instructions are here.

This is what I am seeing on a new client's website:

Screen Shot 2018-11-23 at 12.30.24 PM.png

Did you embed the map using the instructions I referenced in the last post?

This is a new client that just hired us to fix these issues, I do not have access to the site yet.

It's probably using a theme that is generating maps via the API and doesn't have a license. I see it all the time. You can fix it by using those instructions.

@JoyHawkins answer above is most likely the right answer. When you gain access to the client's site, please let us know here what you've found to be the answer.

For what it's worth, I see a lot of contact page map problems like the one that you have shown. It's not a good look, is it? :oops:

I use that method all the time - no API needed:

1. go to the location on Google Maps

2. click on Share

3. click on embed a map

4. copy the HTML code (iframe)

5. paste that code wherever you want the map to appear

Last edited:
This is what I am seeing on a new client's website:

Screen Shot 2018-11-23 at 12.30.24 PM.png
Looks like this client is using a full screen map embed, which would require the Map API.
Using the "old" method as Joy referenced would change the map size shown on the website, but would not require an API key.
API keys are free and the change made in June was to pricing tiers/structure. Depending on the amount of traffic to the page(s) using the API key will determine monthly payment (with a $200 credit each month given by Google, and any overages charged.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom