More threads by Janell H

Reaction score
Hi experts! We want to link to our client’s GMB listing from our client’s website. We will put the GMB link in the website footer most likely.

How do I find the GMB listing link? Is it best practice to link to the Google Maps listing or the GMB listing?

One of my team members thinks it’s crazy to use the GMB link because we are sending users away from our client’s website back out into internet search.

Thanks in advance for your expertise!

Hi Janell

It's not crazy to link your website to your GMB listing, it's good practice.

The GMB listing link comes in a number of forms - the maps link, the CID, the placeID and the Profile short name.

The last one is probably the easiest. You can create your profile short name on the listing info section, the blue @ sign is where it is. The link then becomes
Code:
https://g.page/yourprofileshortname

The PlaceId can be found by going here:

(There's another version of this tool but it won't work for listings with hidden addresses.)

The CID url can be found by bringing up the knowledge Panel for the business, looking at the source code of the page and searching for: ludocid=
The number after that string will be the CID URL number. Add the number to the rest of the url like so:

If you are doing it often, there is a Chrome plugin that will help go a bit quicker:

I haven't heard of putting the GMB link in a website. What's the benefit as opposed to embedding a Google Map?

Any examples of putting a GMB link in a website? Anchor text?

Why would you do that? I agree with the OP's colleague, it seems like you're sending the user back out to search. What is the advantage in doing that?
I put my GMB link on my "Services Area" page in a place that most people will not even see to click on. I did it more for Google than viewers. But even if viewers click on it, they are taken directly to my profile on Google which gives them a lot of info in an authoritative setting.

IMO, I don't see it as them going to a search page, I see it as them going to a profile page which has many links for them to click to continue to learn about my company, including reviews, products, services, posts, pictures, special hours, etc. etc.

I put my GMB link on my "Services Area" page in a place that most people will not even see to click on. I did it more for Google than viewers. But even if viewers click on it, they are taken directly to my profile on Google which gives them a lot of info in an authoritative setting.

IMO, I don't see it as them going to a search page, I see it as them going to a profile page which has many links for them to click to continue to learn about my company, including reviews, products, services, posts, pictures, special hours, etc. etc.
May I ask, what is the anchor text or call to action text that you put on the link? I'm trying to visual the UX.

Thank you for all of the replies! I appreciate it. Is it better to link to your Google Maps listing OR the Google My Business listing OR both (a Google My Business listing link and also an embedded Google Maps)?

Hi experts! We want to link to our client’s GMB listing from our client’s website. We will put the GMB link in the website footer most likely.

How do I find the GMB listing link? Is it best practice to link to the Google Maps listing or the GMB listing?

One of my team members thinks it’s crazy to use the GMB link because we are sending users away from our client’s website back out into internet search.

Thanks in advance for your expertise!
You can also embed the map itself, you can also embed driving directions on a location page, it helps....
1603989630056.png

Has anyone tried linking to the Place ID from customer reviews on the local page?

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom