More threads by AndySimpson

What's the purpose of the short name? Will any of you actually use it in your marketing?
Joshua (My Favorite Advisor),
Are Keywords Dead? Will they ever be? They bring relevance. They allow algorithms to notify Google what your business is about. If you think for one moment that your g.page/keyword will not be considered regarding authority, I respectfully say, "You're Wrong!" Google wants your GMB to be the hub of all local business. It's about control. It's all changing fast, and you need to duck, move and roll with the punches. What you knew one year ago is old hat. Google sites with AMP will eventually outrank all competitors. Google stacking with maps is what works locally. It's all moving towards mobile video. 5G will change everything.
I will use it for marketing & rank it... The ability to verbally speak a rememberable web location is priceless. I love you Joshua, you're a badass marketer.

Hi Joshua, in my agency we will make a test to use the url created by the short name, to send it to the costumers to leave a review after they check out the hotel. This is a "clean" and short url that redirect to the profile.
Still we didn't try it, but is the only purpose i could find 🤷‍♀️

Yeah, that makes sense. I think it might be better to use just a shorter URL you buy. That's just me though.

Joshua (My Favorite Advisor),
Are Keywords Dead? Will they ever be? They bring relevance. They allow algorithms to notify Google what your business is about. If you think for one moment that your g.page/keyword will not be considered regarding authority, I respectfully say, "You're Wrong!" Google wants your GMB to be the hub of all local business. It's about control. It's all changing fast, and you need to duck, move and roll with the punches. What you knew one year ago is old hat. Google sites with AMP will eventually outrank all competitors. Google stacking with maps is what works locally. It's all moving towards mobile video. 5G will change everything.
I will use it for marketing & rank it... The ability to verbally speak a rememberable web location is priceless. I love you Joshua, you're a badass marketer.

Respectfully, I believe that it has little to no relevance. We will just have to agree to disagree on this one :)

That's cool, as smart as you are, I need an Upper-Hand... lol

In my experience, there are many things that are working that I don't believe would work. Happens all the time :) if you find one that does, I'm all ears!

And I appreciate the kind words!

As far as dashes versus none are concerned:
  • How many times are you actually going to be saying the URL outloud to a customer? It's likely most beneficial for email signatures, linking to from your website footer, listing on other directories, etc.
  • Most people probably don't understand that ".page" is the end of a URL. I know plenty of people who would be totally confused if they were told to go to "g.page/anythinghere".
  • Changing caps/no caps to break up the name is as difficult to remember as using a dash is.
Also, you definitely wouldn't want to use an underscore. Google says this about URL structure: "We recommend that you use hyphens (-) instead of underscores (_) in your URLs."

Great info on this thread.

As far as dashes versus none are concerned:
  • Changing caps/no caps to break up the name is as difficult to remember as using a dash is.

Hmm you think it makes a difference? g.page/anythinghere is the same as g.page/AnythingHere isn't it?

Hmm you think it makes a difference? g.page/anythinghere is the same as g.page/AnythingHere isn't it?
I think it's the same, but I'm advocating for using dashes :) Using caps to differentiate is going to be just as tricky to a customer to type into their phone as a dash is :)

I don't know if it's been mentioned or not, but sharing in Google Maps now uses g.page short name URLs.

so for a BBQ restaurant brand with multiple GMB location listings, the owner could, for example create BBQ-Minneapolis, BBQ-Houston, or Best-BBQ-RapidCity?

Reactions: Jac
What's the purpose of the short name? Will any of you actually use it in your marketing?
Yes, I will as it is a Google Back Link and People take action on the GMB Listing. Action that is trackable and since I am Managing and Optimizing GMB for my Clients - Our Value is emphasized.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom