djbaxter

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Getting your site ready for mobile-first indexing
Google Webmaster Central Blog
December 18, 2017

Currently our crawling, indexing, and ranking systems typically look at the desktop version of a page's content, which may cause issues for mobile searchers when that version is vastly different from the mobile version. Mobile-first indexing means that we'll use the mobile version of the content for indexing and ranking, to better help our ? primarily mobile ? users find what they're looking for....

Sites that make use of responsive web design and correctly implement dynamic serving (that include all of the desktop content and markup) generally don't have to do anything. Here are some extra tips that help ensure a site is ready for mobile-first indexing:

• Make sure the mobile version of the site also has the important, high-quality content. This includes text, images (with alt-attributes), and videos - in the usual crawlable and indexable formats.
  • Structured data is important for indexing and search features that users love: it should be both on the mobile and desktop version of the site. Ensure URLs within the structured data are updated to the mobile version on the mobile pages.
  • Metadata should be present on both versions of the site. It provides hints about the content on a page for indexing and serving. For example, make sure that titles and meta descriptions are equivalent across both versions of all pages on the site.
  • No changes are necessary for interlinking with separate mobile URLs (m.-dot sites). For sites using separate mobile URLs, keep the existing link rel=canonical and link rel=alternate elements between these versions.
  • Check hreflang links on separate mobile URLs. When using link rel=hreflang elements for internationalization, link between mobile and desktop URLs separately. Your mobile URLs' hreflang should point to the other language/region versions on other mobile URLs, and similarly link desktop with other desktop URLs using hreflang link elements there.
  • Ensure the servers hosting the site have enough capacity to handle potentially increased crawl rate. This doesn't affect sites that use responsive web design and dynamic serving, only sites where the mobile version is on a separate host, such as m.example.com.

Read more...

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
djbaxter Get Your Site Ready Now For Google's Mobile-First Index Organic SEO 0
djbaxter Get your mobile site up to speed with Google Test My Site Websites, Software, and Security 1
Linda Buquet Multiple Tricks for getting Google to Index & Crawl Local Sites Faster Local Search 0
Chris Ratchford Google deindexed website due to malware injection- can't get site reindexed Organic SEO 8
Tim Colling I'm getting calls from "Google Maps" at 650-206-5555, asking about clients' hours - are they legit? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
djbaxter Webinar Get together with Google Search at Search Central Live - February 23, 2021 Events 0
H Google COVID 19 posts getting suspended Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Professor M Google My Business Messaging and Metrics are getting a boost Google My Business & Google Maps 13
kathleen.rhodes We are unable to get Google to merge 2 duplicate listings into the correct one Google Duplicates & Merges 1
djbaxter What SEOs get wrong about Google updates Google Algorithm Discussions 0
WAHamilton How long is it taking you to get a response from Google Support? Help & Support for Google Local 16
onweblocal How Do I get the GMB for a 53 DA website to show up in the Google Carousel Ranking Puzzles 4
B Can you get Google Product Feature added? Google My Business & Google Maps 0
F Replied to some stupid chain email, ended up getting my Google account disabled, got back on, now all my GMB listings are 'Suspended' but live in maps Google My Business & Google Maps 6
D How do I get a Google My Business listing to show up in nearby areas? Local Content 1
WAHamilton How to Get Google to Map a New Development? Moving or Name Changes 6
djbaxter Google's Zero-Click Searches: How to get your traffic back Organic SEO 0
JoyHawkins Google Adds "Get More Reviews" Button in Knowledge Panel Google News: Important Changes & Features 3
Y How to add my business specialities without getting delisted by Google? Local Search 1
L Get Email Notification for Google Review but not showing in Dashboard Local Reviews 4
M How do you get the Google Reviews Stars to stick? Local Search 18
Rich Owings Menu schema not getting picked up by Google Google My Business & Google Maps 21
djbaxter Google's John Mueller: Know what you're writing about or get an expert Organic SEO 2
Cordell Crowley Getting two side-by-side businesses of the same type to show up on Google Maps Google My Business & Google Maps 4
JoyHawkins Google My Business "Get a Quote" Button Google News: Important Changes & Features 27
A Issues With Getting a Review From Ex Employee Removed on Google Local Reviews 23
M North Face tried to scam Wikipedia to get its products to the top of Google search Organic SEO 0
S How to get a DNS-verified Search Console domain to connect with Google Analytics? Organic SEO 3
S Does Google penalize you for using the Event post hack to get your post to last more than 7 days? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Dana Franks Can you get Google not to pull snippets for search results? Organic SEO 1
Bryan Bloom Map Pack & GMB spammed company names - How to Get Google to Care Local Search 12
chadkimball Chad Kimball Google Maps Business Rant.. read this if you are trying to get started in this business! Recycle Bin 0
JoyHawkins Google Not Getting Review Flags Google My Business & Google Maps 4
KevinJr Can You Get a 5-Star Average on Google with Negative Reviews? Local Reviews 9
Linda Buquet Breaking: Linda gets Suspended by Google Google My Business & Google Maps 10
Linda Buquet Cant Login to GMB Today? Getting 404? You are not alone. Just reported to Google. Google My Business & Google Maps 3
B Google Street View App, Getting Google Street View Trusted Photographer Status Google Business View 13
bhartzer Google Street View App, Getting Google Street View Trusted Photographer Status Google My Business & Google Maps 13
L Is it possible to get more that a 3 months worth of data from google my business ? Local Search 3
H Google Images associated with GMB. Getting worse? Any new tips Google My Business & Google Maps 3
R Best Ways to Get Inventory of Google Maps Listings for Company with Many Locations Google My Business & Google Maps 11
Linda Buquet Google My Business API gets Added Features with V3.1 Update Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Travis Van Slooten How Do You Get Google+ Local URL These Days? Google My Business & Google Maps 8
Tim Colling Rude call from Google employee (?) and moved office gets marked as closed Local Search 5
JustinB Google Gets Knocked Down a Peg Marketing 2
S Nifty tool to get a direct link to review on Google Local Reviews 4
Linda Buquet How to Get Revenge on those Nasty Google Robocallers ▶ Hilarious Video Google My Business & Google Maps 5
JoyHawkins Getting Rid of Slanderous Google Review Local Reviews 3
Linda Buquet How To Get Google Review Links after the G+ Update with Grade.us via Greg Gifford Local Reviews 2
Linda Buquet Pros Discuss: How to Get Google My Business to show your Preferred Image Google My Business & Google Maps 2