More threads by Professor M

Professor M

Solutions
Reaction score
This new feature probably will increase the importance of GMB Posts and "Add Followers".

Google's statement here, summary:

"Now, we’re making it easier to find updates and recommendations from trusted local sources with a new community feed in the Explore tab of Google Maps. The feed shows you the latest reviews, photos and posts added to Google Maps by local experts and people you follow as well as food and drink merchants, and articles from publishers like The Infatuation. "

Google_Maps_Community_Feed.gif

"Every day, you can come to your feed to see what’s happening in your area. Wondering if your favorite Mexican restaurant has added a new dish to the menu? If you follow them on Maps, you’ll get their updates in your feed."

"The community feed brings together helpful local information and tailors it to your selected interests. For example, if you’ve marked an interest in healthy food or Greek cuisine in your Google Maps food and drink preferences, you’ll see more recommendations, photos and business posts for that type of dining. "

"The community feed also helps connect businesses with customers. Over the past year, we’ve seen businesses use their Business Profile on Google to let the world know about their current offerings and operations, like takeout and delivery options, new online services and the safety precautions they’re taking. In early testing of the community feed we saw that posts from merchants are seen two times more than before the feed existed. So now more people can see if a local business is offering a new service, has a limited time specialty or opened outdoor seating."

Stay safe!

1606902564727.png

Interesting, on mine it is exclusively showing restaurants. I'm wondering if any other business types will show up here, provided they are using Google Posts.

Screenshot_20201202_074729_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpg

Another thing is that I tried to follow a bunch of retail stores near me - popular chains in Canada like Marks, Walmart, and Canadian Tire. None of them had follow buttons on their listings.

I'm getting just restaurants, but having closed the app then opened it again (several times), the Explore tab has disappeared.

Also, I love that GMB Posts are showing so prominently here. May place renewed importance on them.

Just restaurants and hotels for me - no follow buttons

Just noticed "follow" buttons on listings that have posts. That seems to be the only difference between them and the listings that don't have have it. Also, originally I thought the follow function was limited to restaurants but I just found one on a local party fishing boat that has recent posts.

Screenshot_20201202-091144_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20201202-092004_Maps.jpg

Interesting, on mine it is exclusively showing restaurants. I'm wondering if any other business types will show up here, provided they are using Google Posts.

In my feed as well (West of Ireland), I am only seeing posts from Restaurant, Cafes, Pubs.

I'm seeing Posts from restaurants I have visited but do not follow in the "From local businesses" section. I'm in a small town so that may explain why they're places I have visited. I'm not seeing Posts from businesses I follow in this section - those are all in the Updates tab. Makes sense to me that the Explore tab wouldn't feature businesses I already follow.

For these featured Posts, there's no follow button unless I clickthrough to the listing (which takes me to the Updates/Post feed). Below the restaurant posts, it's Hotels within 2.6 miles (funny it's not showing km even though I'm in Canada), then Featured lists and Recent photos.

Grocery in US is a follow button but no like button.... yet.

I am seeing sporadic businesses. A trio of restaurants all owned by the same group, one with a follow button, the others without. I also see follow on Target, but not Walmart.

Right - that shows a follow button, but you said "no like button yet". What is a like button?

Thanks for clarifying. From the article:

"however. As you scroll down, you can tap “Like” on those posts you find interesting to help better inform your future recommendations."
1606943243720.png

I'm not seeing that ^^ functionality either.

Thanks for clarifying. From the article:

"however. As you scroll down, you can tap “Like” on those posts you find interesting to help better inform your future recommendations."

I'm not seeing that ^^ functionality either.
I'm going to keep an eye on this one and will reply here if/when I see results.

Great development. All the more reason to move clients towards regularly posting G Posts. Many of our clients are posting there more often than FB in 2020. The organic media value of G Posts is far > FB local pages and is only shared to an intent-based audience vs. discovery.

Speaking of Google Posts, look out for updates from other publishers in this area in the next 2-3 months! Local Posts should become table stakes in 2021!

Posts might have more power moving forward. Wish there was more Goole Map data to play with to see how users interact with maps.

Google is making it easy to follow and get an update from your tagged and favorite businesses or local guides.

Never thought I would imagine a google maps influencer.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom