- Jun 28, 2012
- Reaction score
Google Maps Spam Efforts: Removed 55M Reviews & 3M Fake Business Profilesby Barry Schwartz, Search Engine Roundtable
Feb 19, 2021
Google wrote about some of the efforts it takes towards preventing and removing "fake and fraudulent contributed content" on Google Maps. The numbers of how much Google has removed from the Google Maps ecosystem is pretty amazing.
Here are some of the highlights from the past year, in 2020:
- 55 million policy-violating reviews were blocked or removed
- 3 million fake Business Profiles were removed
- Removed 960,000 reviews and more than 300,000 Business Profiles that were reported to us by Google Maps users.
- 160 million photos were reviewed and removed that violated policies or were of low quality.
- 3.5 million videos were reviewed and removed that violated policies or were of low quality.
- Google disabled more than 610,000 user accounts after detecting and investigating suspicious or policy-violating behavior.
- Google stopped more than 3 million attempts by bad actors to verify Business Profiles on Google that didn’t belong to them.