Dan Foland

SEO Director at Postali
Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Per my twitter thread earlier:
We had a few listings that use tracking numbers to see the full scope of how many people call from GMB/maps.
The tracking numbers were constantly getting removed and replaced with the original number, so we decided to reach out to GMB support.

This is the first time I've seen Google directly say tracking numbers are not allowed.

Here's the conversation:
GMBTrackingFirst.png

GMBCallTracking.png

Thoughts?

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Interesting, @Dan Foland. Funny the rep should say that, because "per policy" Google doesn't say anything about tracking numbers. The guidelines say to "use a local phone number instead of central, call center helpline number whenever possible."

Then again, GMB reps say a lot of crazy stuff.

Brian Bender

Reaction score
Interesting, @Dan Foland. Funny the rep should say that, because "per policy" Google doesn't say anything about tracking numbers. The guidelines say to "use a local phone number instead of central, call center helpline number whenever possible."

Then again, GMB reps say a lot of crazy stuff.

This is true, but there's a bullet point right under that one that may give us more insight into Google's thoughts on call tracking within GMB. Here's what it says (I bolded the parts that particularly pertain to the situation in this thread):
  • Do not provide phone numbers or URLs that redirect or "refer" users to landing pages or phone numbers other than those of the actual business, including pages created on social media sites.

Still ambiguous, but that could be what the GMB rep is/was referring to.

Last edited:

obcted

Reaction score
Wow - disaster averted. Sorry I run lead capture and lead tracking platform and we've always been advising agencies to use our Call Tracking for GMB. This scared the Beejbus out of me. Love the Google Follow up tweet. They're so on top of things!

Do you mind if I turn this into a little blog post? Happy to give credit where credit is do in the form of links if you want them :)

Yourname

Reaction score
Nice @Dan Foland!

Slightly off-topic, but .. having a call tracking number specifically for GMB, isn't that against the whole NAP thing?

Yourname

Reaction score
To elaborate, I mean isn't the point of NAP to be identical across the internet? So if most of the citations say 1800-111-2222, and then the GMB number shows 1855-999-8888... isn't that bad?

EfrenCP

Reaction score
GMB Support got back to me and as suspected by many of us, this was a mistake on Google's end.

1547497076460.png
Does this mean that they "locked" in your tracking number or is it still changing? I mean, what they say vs what they do... ;P

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
To elaborate, I mean isn't the point of NAP to be identical across the internet? So if most of the citations say 1800-111-2222, and then the GMB number shows 1855-999-8888... isn't that bad?

Adding the local number to the "additional number" field in GMB is what prevents this from being a problem. So missing that step is what would make it bad.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
PaulSteinbrueck Average Google rating no longer in Google Knowledge Panel? Local Reviews 8
djbaxter Google Posts No Longer Expire After Seven Days Google My Business & Google Maps 5
P WP Plugins to display reviews from Google no longer work due to API keys issues Websites, Software, and Security 4
Scott Rawlins Google Posts - Longer Descriptions? Google My Business & Google Maps 10
SmallBizGeek Google Posts last longer than 7 days(?) Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Conor Treacy Google Virtual Tour no longer linked? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
R Google maps no longer shows city boundaries Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Phil Rozek Google Plus page no longer required to post Google reviews Local Reviews 3
jaywilner Google+ Business Pages No Longer Displayed in Search Results? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
P Google no longer shows ads on right side, adds another ad spot to the top of the SERP Local Search 1
djbaxter Google Will Slow Crawling When Page Load Is Two-Seconds Or Longer Organic SEO 2
D Google Dupe Removal No Longer Instant? Google My Business & Google Maps 7
B No longer showing on Google Local Top 7 Help & Support for Google Local 25
Local Search News Curator Google Places Guidelines No Longer Prohibit City in Your Category Field ? Should You Google My Business & Google Maps 1
shondarogers Can no longer find link to google maps embed code Google My Business & Google Maps 2
T Google No Longer Deletes Duplicates...Hmmmmm...That's Interesting Google Duplicates & Merges 7
Travis Van Slooten Google No Longer Deletes Duplicates...Hmmmmm...That's Interesting Google Duplicates & Merges 7
M Google Maps Rankings are not Stable Google My Business & Google Maps 2
stankolev What is the maximum number of categories single Google My Business listing can have? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
Chris Ratchford Google Ads- Local Pack- one GMB location only? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 1
Don Archer Google business listing with 482 Real Review Missing. How do I get them back? Help & Support for Google Local 2
Nikki Stine Are negative Google reviews due to supply shortages considered 'off-topic'? Local Reviews 2
Jeffrey Taylor Adding a new category to Google my Business Google My Business & Google Maps 4
david.victor Attribute used as Category by Google on Maps NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 7
M Google Search Console Errors "Coverage and Breadcrumbs"? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Lachlan_Wells Accept/Discard Google Updates - Does this feature work for you? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
E "Duplicate" Profile That Google Claims We Already Manage? Google Duplicates & Merges 5
T Can a Credit Union Create Google Posts Without Falling Under Prohibited Content? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
djbaxter Google My Business Bug Dropping SAB Businesses In Independence, Kansas Service Area Businesses 1
JamesGreenaway Google Insights query Google My Business & Google Maps 1
RobertCarnitas Google Posts Live on GMB, But Not Showing in GMB Dashboard Google My Business & Google Maps 1
rickvidallon How Do You Access The Buttons In Google My Business For Online Services? Local Search 4
NexstarNickR Google Star Rating: LSA vs. GMB All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
Phil Rozek Google Maps reviews get "New" label for reviews less than 1 month old Local Reviews 5
JoyHawkins Get Live Inventory Displayed on Your Google My Business Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 9
JoyHawkins Google Testing 2-Packs on Mobile Google News: Important Changes & Features 4
Paul Gregory Google Maps default location bias distance and the Google Maps Places API Google Algorithm Discussions 2
Chris Ratchford Google Analytics - setting up goals for click-to-call Organic SEO 2
L Google ranking in Legal Field Organic SEO 1
Cherie Dickey Something funny going on in Google Maps... am I missing something? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
hajnasiewicz Google Marketing Kit: Create Video Local Content 3
S Google LSA Lead Board - How to manage? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 1
krystaltaing Google My Business Bulk Verification Limit Reached? Multi-Location Issues 0
K Unable to get verified in Google for SAB Local Search 14
Matt Chauhan Google Maps showing category that doesn't even exist Local Search 1
djbaxter Brightlocal Tool shows Large Google Local Search Algorithm Update March 10, 2021 Google Algorithm Discussions 1
D Local Services and Google my Business Paid Search and Local Service Ads 2
F Google Maps Citation confusion? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
K Google requiring storefront photos Google Duplicates & Merges 4
Rich Owings Google community challenge to update 100,000 businesses Google My Business & Google Maps 0