More threads by Dan Foland

Dan Foland

SEO Director at Postali
Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Per my twitter thread earlier:
We had a few listings that use tracking numbers to see the full scope of how many people call from GMB/maps.
The tracking numbers were constantly getting removed and replaced with the original number, so we decided to reach out to GMB support.

This is the first time I've seen Google directly say tracking numbers are not allowed.

Here's the conversation:
GMBTrackingFirst.png

GMBCallTracking.png

Thoughts?

Interesting, @Dan Foland. Funny the rep should say that, because "per policy" Google doesn't say anything about tracking numbers. The guidelines say to "use a local phone number instead of central, call center helpline number whenever possible."

Then again, GMB reps say a lot of crazy stuff.

This is true, but there's a bullet point right under that one that may give us more insight into Google's thoughts on call tracking within GMB. Here's what it says (I bolded the parts that particularly pertain to the situation in this thread):
  • Do not provide phone numbers or URLs that redirect or "refer" users to landing pages or phone numbers other than those of the actual business, including pages created on social media sites.

Still ambiguous, but that could be what the GMB rep is/was referring to.

Last edited:
Wow - disaster averted. Sorry I run lead capture and lead tracking platform and we've always been advising agencies to use our Call Tracking for GMB. This scared the Beejbus out of me. Love the Google Follow up tweet. They're so on top of things!

Do you mind if I turn this into a little blog post? Happy to give credit where credit is do in the form of links if you want them :)

Nice @Dan Foland!

Slightly off-topic, but .. having a call tracking number specifically for GMB, isn't that against the whole NAP thing?

To elaborate, I mean isn't the point of NAP to be identical across the internet? So if most of the citations say 1800-111-2222, and then the GMB number shows 1855-999-8888... isn't that bad?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but in GMB you add the tracking number as your primary number, and your main number as an additional number. Don't use the tracking number anywhere else and it shouldn't cause any NAP issues.

GMB Support got back to me and as suspected by many of us, this was a mistake on Google's end.

1547497076460.png
Does this mean that they "locked" in your tracking number or is it still changing? I mean, what they say vs what they do... ;P

To elaborate, I mean isn't the point of NAP to be identical across the internet? So if most of the citations say 1800-111-2222, and then the GMB number shows 1855-999-8888... isn't that bad?

Adding the local number to the "additional number" field in GMB is what prevents this from being a problem. So missing that step is what would make it bad.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom