Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Just noticed a minor Google update that could have major consequences for certain types of businesses.

We know Google keeps making review more prominent and easier to get to. One recent change was showing reviews in an overlay right in the SERPs instead of sending searchers to the Place page to view them.

But up until now, Google only rewarded quantity of reviews not quality!

Now Google review ratings just got more important for "Local Carousel" listings.

Not sure when it happened, but I just noticed a new "filter by user rating" option on carousel listings.

SanDiegoResorts.jpg

Then I found certain searches that trigger filters by both rating and price.

SanDiegoRestaurants.jpg

I have to say as a consumer, shopping for a new restaurant to try, I love this option. I'm a compulsive Amazon shopper and she's trained me well to use that review rating filter. I ALWAYS shop 4 stars and up.

Will this new rating option move beyond the carousel to the regular 7 pack results?
Don't know. Is it a possibility? Heck yes. But only time will tell.

What do YOU think???

SanDiegoResorts.jpg

SanDiegoRestaurants.jpg

mblumenthal

LocalU Faculty
Reaction score
Linda
Is this the same as what appeared at the end of July or something different?

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Shoot Mike, err... I mean Professor, you got me!

I don't work with food/lodging market much, so seldom pay attention to carousel listings. Thought it was new. Guess I missed that post. :eek:

So ya folks. You read it there 1st! :p

sergiuliano

Reaction score
Probably the quality of the reviews is what maters for Google to rank a website on the Local Carousel top position.

I have analyzed 100 brandnames listed on Local Carousel ( hotel industry ) and here is the result related to the number of reviews they've got.

reviews_in_local_carousel.png

19% of them have less than 20 reviews, and the number of reviews does not affect the position in Google Carousel. Only 15% have more than 200 reviews and this doesn't seems to help for better rankings, at least not for now,

For sure there is a minimum number of reviews needed in order to be listed, but not the quantity seems to make the difference, but the quality.

Other factors are also important to be analysed in order to understand the strategy used by the Google Carousel Top Ranking websites.

Ratings and Review Authors shall be also analysed for better understanding how the ranking algorithm works.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
JoyHawkins 4-Star Fake Review Issue - Over 2.3 Million Fake Ratings on Google Local Reviews 32
JoyHawkins Ratings Without Reviews Not Present on the Google Maps App Google News: Important Changes & Features 2
kbone Redirecting Customers to Google Rating/Review Box... Local Reviews 0
B Have 5* Google Reviews but Star Ratings Do Not Appear Local Search 4
Linda Buquet Update to Google Reviews & Ratings Schema Guidelines Local Reviews 4
Nikki Stine Are negative Google reviews due to supply shortages considered 'off-topic'? Local Reviews 0
Phil Rozek Google Maps reviews get "New" label for reviews less than 1 month old Local Reviews 5
harmony How Does Google Choose Service Options in a Review? Local Reviews 6
abbiebeltran Google Reviews Now Have 'Service-Testimonial-Tags' at the Top Local Reviews 1
djbaxter Google Maps Removed 55M Reviews & 3M Fake Business Profiles Spam on Google 4
C Fake google reviews on google my business Contact Us Messages 2
M Google rule for collecting reviews from a dedicated tablet inside a store ? Local Reviews 8
R Facebook reviews dropped to 0; Google filtering reviews temporarily? Local Reviews 2
Koray Tuğberk GÜBÜR Review Schema Mark up and Google My Business Reviews Local Search 4
djbaxter How to Delete a Google Review Local Reviews 1
NevenaIvanova Review replies disappeared from Google Google My Business & Google Maps 9
nathangdavidson Anyone using Google's Marketing Kit tool to promote reviews? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
h.ottenhausen Google Reviews on Website (SABs) Service Area Businesses 0
mihir23192 What could have caused the sudden jump in Number of Google Reviews? 50 to 3500 Help & Support for Google Local 2
hollykaufman Google Review Responses Missing Local Reviews 2
Danish Blackmail Review (Asking money to remove it) | Google support does not wish to take it down Local Reviews 2
Y One of my rivals bought 5 stars 100 spam reviews in 2 weeks Google does not care Google My Business & Google Maps 1
rickvidallon Google Not Updating Number of Reviews Local Reviews 2
kathleen.rhodes DUP Any news on Google resuming GMB Reviews? Recycle Bin 0
Jac Delay notice on new Google review is removed Local Reviews 0
Jac Any news on Google resuming GMB Reviews? Local Reviews 62
keyserholiday New Google reviews are working Local Reviews 3
M Multiple reviews changed to “A Google User” Help & Support for Google Local 2
keyserholiday Google review replies are working again. Local Reviews 6
nathangdavidson Asking clients to use specific words in Google reviews, against guidelines? Local Reviews 2
JoyHawkins Google suspends reviews and Q&A for Covid-19 Google News: Important Changes & Features 27
FriarTuck00 Big Jump in Number of Google Reviews - Why? Local Reviews 3
P WP Plugins to display reviews from Google no longer work due to API keys issues Websites, Software, and Security 4
D Do you need a Google account to leave a review? Local Reviews 8
J Fake Google Reviews How To Report The Most Effective Way? Spam on Google 1
Michael Charvet Google Dropping Reviews for Education Institutions? Local Reviews 2
D Do google punish google my businesses with only 5 star reviews? Recycle Bin 1
D Duration After Visit to Solicit Google Reviews Recycle Bin 0
mattrigg Duration After Visit to Solicit Google Reviews Google My Business & Google Maps 2
BrandonSchmidt Positive Attributes appearing in Google Reviews? Local Reviews 3
JoyHawkins Google Adds "Get More Reviews" Button in Knowledge Panel Google News: Important Changes & Features 3
J Negative Google Reviews that have been hidden behind fake business Moving or Name Changes 10
W Do keywords in Google My Business (GMB) reviews help ranking Local Reviews 3
Y Do google punish google my businesses with only 5 star reviews? Help & Support for Google Local 6
djbaxter Bank employee gives customer's business negative Google Review after frustrating phone call Local Reviews 1
djbaxter Fake Product Review Sites: New Type of Spam Exploit in Google Spam on Google 0
M Google Reviews Not Showing Up for our Client Local Reviews 6
Cordell Crowley Google My Business Review: Auto-Suggested Reply Google My Business & Google Maps 8
djbaxter Local U 2019: Map Spam, Review Stars, Google Winning, Yelp Losing, and Joy Hawkins Local Search 0
Caroline S Am I safe including Google's logo in my website for review link purposes? Websites, Software, and Security 3