drongo

Reaction score
Hi folks.

What, in your view, are the relative pros and cons of steering customers towards Google Reviews vs steering them towards an independent review service such as TrustPilot, Feefo, etc.

Many thanks from London.

Tim Colling

Local Search Expert
LocalU Member
Reaction score
Great question, @drongo.

To me, the answer is:
1. Go for a mix of "3rd party reviews", including Google reviews and other reviews.
2. Don't forget to also solicit "1st party" reviews - reviews given to you directly by customers. They have business value and also SEO value when used on your website correctly.

What is especially valuable with Google reviews:
1. They appear to be significant factor in SERPs rankings.
2. They appear visibly in SERPs and often that influences others to select businesses that show up in SERPs with lots of review stars and review counts.
3. Other reviews appear less visibly in SERPs and so may be less influential in getting searchers to choose your business.
4. They appear prominently in Knowledge Panels.

There may be other reasons as well.

drongo

Reaction score
Interesting Tim, thank you.

To be honest, what I am trying to do is find a justification for paying for 3rd party review services. They cost $$$ per month and yet I struggle to find the value in them compared with simple Google Reviews.

One advantage of course is 3rd they are "cross-platform" in the sense that they can be transmitted (via Rich Snippets for example) to search engines other than Google. But that seems like a relatively minor advantage really.

Drongo.

Tim Colling

Local Search Expert
LocalU Member
Reaction score
Ah, I see. I may not have fully understood your question, then.

I have not tried TrustPilot nor Birdeye. Both look expensive to me and Birdeye was a real problem for one of my clients, who were using Birdeye before they became one of our clients.

You could try running review request campaigns yourself using a CRM but I have tried to do that and it's more trouble than it's worth.

At my small agency, we have used two "review management" tools, ones that automate some or all of the processes for trying to request reviews:
  • grade.us
  • gatherup.com (formerly called GetFiveStars)
We have been using gatherup for the past five months and we're very satisfied with it.

Reaction score
Hey @drongo,

Great question! Garrett here from Grade.us (Tim, thanks for the mention!)

The reality is that reviews are hard to earn. A platform like ours helps automate the review request via email and text campaign drips so it's one less marketing process for your team to manage.

The benefit of the review funnel is the ability for you to not only distribute reviews across multiple sites beyond Google (Facebook recommendations, industry specific review sites), it provides options for your customers to leave a review on the site they're comfortable with. They may have never written a google review, but they're comfortable recommending your business on Facebook.

We've written about the having a positive review listing on multiple sites via our the ROI of Reviews blog post.

With direct reviews, you can mark those up with data structured schema friendly markup and earn stars on your service/product pages on organic SERPs.

Feel free to reach out if you have any other review management questions! Always happy to help.

Last edited:
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Nikki Stine Are negative Google reviews due to supply shortages considered 'off-topic'? Local Reviews 1
Phil Rozek Google Maps reviews get "New" label for reviews less than 1 month old Local Reviews 5
harmony How Does Google Choose Service Options in a Review? Local Reviews 6
abbiebeltran Google Reviews Now Have 'Service-Testimonial-Tags' at the Top Local Reviews 1
djbaxter Google Maps Removed 55M Reviews & 3M Fake Business Profiles Spam on Google 4
C Fake google reviews on google my business Contact Us Messages 2
M Google rule for collecting reviews from a dedicated tablet inside a store ? Local Reviews 8
R Facebook reviews dropped to 0; Google filtering reviews temporarily? Local Reviews 2
Koray Tuğberk GÜBÜR Review Schema Mark up and Google My Business Reviews Local Search 4
djbaxter How to Delete a Google Review Local Reviews 1
NevenaIvanova Review replies disappeared from Google Google My Business & Google Maps 9
nathangdavidson Anyone using Google's Marketing Kit tool to promote reviews? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
h.ottenhausen Google Reviews on Website (SABs) Service Area Businesses 0
mihir23192 What could have caused the sudden jump in Number of Google Reviews? 50 to 3500 Help & Support for Google Local 2
hollykaufman Google Review Responses Missing Local Reviews 2
Danish Blackmail Review (Asking money to remove it) | Google support does not wish to take it down Local Reviews 2
Y One of my rivals bought 5 stars 100 spam reviews in 2 weeks Google does not care Google My Business & Google Maps 1
rickvidallon Google Not Updating Number of Reviews Local Reviews 2
kathleen.rhodes DUP Any news on Google resuming GMB Reviews? Recycle Bin 0
Jac Delay notice on new Google review is removed Local Reviews 0
Jac Any news on Google resuming GMB Reviews? Local Reviews 62
keyserholiday New Google reviews are working Local Reviews 3
M Multiple reviews changed to “A Google User” Help & Support for Google Local 2
keyserholiday Google review replies are working again. Local Reviews 6
nathangdavidson Asking clients to use specific words in Google reviews, against guidelines? Local Reviews 2
JoyHawkins Google suspends reviews and Q&A for Covid-19 Google News: Important Changes & Features 27
FriarTuck00 Big Jump in Number of Google Reviews - Why? Local Reviews 3
P WP Plugins to display reviews from Google no longer work due to API keys issues Websites, Software, and Security 4
D Do you need a Google account to leave a review? Local Reviews 8
J Fake Google Reviews How To Report The Most Effective Way? Spam on Google 1
Michael Charvet Google Dropping Reviews for Education Institutions? Local Reviews 2
D Do google punish google my businesses with only 5 star reviews? Recycle Bin 1
D Duration After Visit to Solicit Google Reviews Recycle Bin 0
mattrigg Duration After Visit to Solicit Google Reviews Google My Business & Google Maps 2
BrandonSchmidt Positive Attributes appearing in Google Reviews? Local Reviews 3
JoyHawkins Google Adds "Get More Reviews" Button in Knowledge Panel Google News: Important Changes & Features 3
J Negative Google Reviews that have been hidden behind fake business Moving or Name Changes 10
W Do keywords in Google My Business (GMB) reviews help ranking Local Reviews 3
Y Do google punish google my businesses with only 5 star reviews? Help & Support for Google Local 6
djbaxter Bank employee gives customer's business negative Google Review after frustrating phone call Local Reviews 1
djbaxter Fake Product Review Sites: New Type of Spam Exploit in Google Spam on Google 0
M Google Reviews Not Showing Up for our Client Local Reviews 6
Cordell Crowley Google My Business Review: Auto-Suggested Reply Google My Business & Google Maps 8
djbaxter Local U 2019: Map Spam, Review Stars, Google Winning, Yelp Losing, and Joy Hawkins Local Search 0
Caroline S Am I safe including Google's logo in my website for review link purposes? Websites, Software, and Security 3
MKubot Export Google Reviews Local Reviews 3
S Google places email signature with updating review count Google My Business & Google Maps 9
ashley.smith Does Google My Business prioritize reviews from Local Guides over other users? Local Reviews 7
JoyHawkins Google's New Announcement About Review Schema Google News: Important Changes & Features 91
L Get Email Notification for Google Review but not showing in Dashboard Local Reviews 4