Reaction score
My client has two businesses that share the same office/building location, which the owner owns. It's an office building with a large secured "yard" where all of this trucks are stored. One business is a repossession company and the other one is an auto transport company that ships cars for individuals and businesses from auctions, dealerships, private sales, etc.

Up until 7 months ago, the repo business Google listing had the owner's home address as the business address. Forgetting he used his home address when he created the listing a long time ago, he changed the address to the actual business address. While both businesses have separate local telephone numbers, they obviously have the same street address. Part of the building has offices for the repo company and the other part has offices for the auto transport business. Both businesses are separate legal entities with different business names (but somewhat similar), separate staff, clients, etc.

Everything was fine until a week ago. I logged into their GMB listing for their auto transport business and it was suspended, and a hard suspension to boot. Nobody had touched that listing for at least a few months. The last time we logged into the listing was to respond to a couple reviews. This is a listing that has been in good standing for several years and had 100+ positive reviews.

I've never had to deal with a hard suspension. Google doesn't tell you why the listing was suspended so I'm totally in the dark and I have no idea what to do to get their listing back. Did the address change for the repo business raise red flags with Google? If it did, why did it take 7 months for Google to react to that change and why was the auto transport business listing suspended and not the repo business' listing?

What things do I need to do before I fill out the reinstatement form? And how do I handle the address issue? Can you have two separate legal entities with the same address? Aside from the relatively recent address change for the repo business, we haven't done anything with either of the Google listings so I don't know what to do (if anything) before going through the reinstatement process!

Travis

P.S. What are the success rates of getting a hard suspension reversed? And how long does the process take?

BenFisher

Local Search Expert
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
The answer to your question is simple yet also complex, it will depend on the layout of the building itself and the signage (If storefront) available. Also being that they are distinct entities, the way they are presented also is another factor. Having two businesses at the same address is not a big deal, but how they are set up is.

Another thing is that anything can trigger a suspension, a competitor, a manual review, a sweep.. So there will not be a hard fast answer there. Feel free to PM me details, I can take a peek.

Reaction score
Hey Travis,

If they are two distinct businesses and the categories don't overlap, there shouldn't be an issue with getting it reinstated. Suspensions are happening like crazy right now.

Joy - do you know how long it typically takes to get a response from Google after the reinstatement form is submitted? I just submitted it today so I'm curious how long it might be before we hear anything.

Travis

Reaction score
For the benefit of others that may be reading this thread who have similar questions/issues, I thought I would provide an update. Google responded to my reinstatement within 72 hours. I'm happy to report that Google reinstated our listing! I have no idea why the listing was removed in the first place but I'm happy it's back up.

In the reinstatement, I provided pictures of the outside of the building clearly showing their company name and address on the outside door and signage. I also provided official documents as them being a legal entity with the state. I also provided copies of recent utility bills. I had no idea why the listing was taken down so I wanted to give Google everything "just in case."

Travis

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
C Hard suspension on 5 year GMB listing Help & Support for Google Local 5
Stef Kiley Help Hard suspension - 500+ reviews gone Help & Support for Google Local 4
J SAB Hard suspension Service Area Businesses 4
Matt Casady Hard Suspension but Showing as "Published" Help & Support for Google Local 20
Kevin Marshall How Hard Is It to Outrank Yelp and Other Directory Websites in the SERPs? Local Search 5
L Hard Hit by Medic Update Local Search 6
Klaas Koopman Local SEO For Dentists... hard market right? Consultant's Corner 3
L Between a Rock and a Hard Place on Google Local - Rebranding or Moving? Moving or Name Changes 12
Linda Buquet Between a Rock and a Hard Place on Google Local - Rebranding or Moving? Moving or Name Changes 12
Linda Buquet Hard Core Local SEO Audit Resources for Local Search Consultants Consultant's Corner 1
Margaret Ornsby Yelp court ruling: it's not extortion, just hard bargaining ?!? Marketing 3
Linda Buquet Hard Research: Pigeon's Impact on Local Search Visibility Google My Business & Google Maps 14
Linda Buquet Google+ Local is Fricking Hard! Don't Discount Your Time and Knowledge! Consultant's Corner 10
Ross Barefoot Any Hard Data on Local CTR vs. Pure Organic CTR Google My Business & Google Maps 10
A Need Help with Suspension Reinstatement Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Greg Bernhardt Increased frequency of listing suspensions for legit changes Google My Business & Google Maps 8
Fran GMB Suspension Contact Us Messages 3
Fran GMB Suspension Google My Business & Google Maps 2
B Will Removing Addresses for Multiple State SAB Result in Dup Listing or Suspension? Service Area Businesses 4
AndiFox Suspension. How to get reinstatement? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Tony Wang GMB Suspensions Still Happening? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Mike Yem Listing Suspension All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 3
Tony Wang Suspension - Reinstatement time? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
zach.todd Avoiding GMB Suspensions Google My Business & Google Maps 1
EmilyW Problems with immediate suspension: confused as the UPS in the same shopping center? Google My Business & Google Maps 16
EmilyW Repeated immediate GMB suspension: what am I missing? Google My Business & Google Maps 7
bdebelle Review Updates - "Accept all for this Location" resulting in listing suspension Help & Support for Google Local 2
NevenaIvanova Can shared phone number lead to listing suspension? Google My Business & Google Maps 11
S GMB suspension with weird response Google My Business & Google Maps 5
AmandaEnns Twitter Suspensions? Local Search 3
J Has Anyone Experienced Automatic Suspension After Verifying Location Local Search 6
MarianoF Google had reinstated my listing after six days suspension but my listing is not showing Google My Business & Google Maps 3
RFKSolutions Mass GMB Suspensions relating to Google Manager Access? Google My Business & Google Maps 10
Austin_Holds Mass GMB Suspensions? Google My Business & Google Maps 24
Belen C GMB Listing Suspension Google My Business & Google Maps 2
hannahmoen GMB Soft Suspension? Google My Business & Google Maps 12
BenFisher How to Get Reinstated After a GMB Suspension Events 0
L Interesting Suspension Issue Local Search 3
Caroline Possible Reasons For GMB Suspension Help & Support for Google Local 1
J Duplicate Causing a Suspension? Thoughts? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
J Business moving offices after suspension Moving or Name Changes 9
j_holtslander GMB Suspension (Time to restore) Google My Business & Google Maps 5
A Suspension Having Ranking Effects? Help & Support for Google Local 6
A Updates Prompting Suspensions - Resolved? Help & Support for Google Local 7
Tim Colling Suspension not lifted Help & Support for Google Local 11
LilyRayNYC Shortnames causing suspensions: could it be because of Google's proposed shortname? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Marie Haynes After a GMB suspension, do rankings usually return? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
pauieee DUP: Suspension - First one in a long time Recycle Bin 0
keyserholiday Google suspension cause Google My Business & Google Maps 11
Tim Colling Suspension - First one in a long time Google My Business & Google Maps 108