More threads by Harmony Huskinson

Solutions
Reaction score
Hello! I'm working on a recession guide and I'm looking for input from marketers and local businesses on how the U.S. recession has impacted their business. For example, have leads slowed down for your business? I know this is a sensitive subject, so I can be discreet if you're interested in discussing this with me.

My email is hhuskinson@portent.com if you'd like to reach out directly.

We have not experienced a slow down in our hiring or leads. The topic of recession hasn't really come up in conversations with existing clients or business owners either.

I am sure we definitely will though as 2023 progresses. I don't think the recession will be too severe, but I have a feeling it will be for an extended period of time . They say the economic recession starts to hit typically 6 to 8 months after the stock market bottoms out and I'm not sure we're there yet.

I'm anticipating that most savvy business owners will take advantage of the downturn and double down on their marketing efforts so they come out the other end stronger than ever.

Similar to @Colan Nielsen , there's been no real change on our end as a design/seo company. None of our existing clients closed their businesses due to the recession. Some SABs (house cleaning in particular) saw the expected slowdown during COVID, but once that was lifted, things returned to normal.

They say Omaha Nebraska is shielded from recession and market flux when it comes to housing etc. Generally, we're 2-3 years behind what happens on the East/West coasts. Given the timespan, what affects others often never trickles down to the Nebraska/Kansas area.

Same here none of my clients have expressed a slow down. I will say that the restaurants I work with have only got busier. I do feel that 2023 will be different. It is really hard to compare year over year metrics after covid.

Hey Harmony, this sounds like it'll be a great piece—I will look forward to reading it! BrightLocal's latest research piece polled 400 local SEOs about their business health in the midst of inflation changes and the threat of a recession. You're welcome to use any of the stats for your piece :)

Our agency business grew during the past year. I expect that to slow during 2023 though as a recession takes hold. Also, a small number of our clients have been acquired and the acquiring companies have their own SEO providers who will no doubt be taking over the work that we were doing for them previously.

The USA (where I am located) is going to face challenges for a long time due to the consequences of inflating the money supply with pandemic benefit payments. Recession is only one of those challenges.

Another unknown is what Google will be doing and changing that will affect us and our clients, right?

Hey Harmony, this sounds like it'll be a great piece—I will look forward to reading it! BrightLocal's latest research piece polled 400 local SEOs about their business health in the midst of inflation changes and the threat of a recession. You're welcome to use any of the stats for your piece :)

Hey Jenny! Thanks for mentioning that BrightLocal article. I had found it in my research and was planning to reference it, so I appreciate the confirmation. :)

I appreciate everyone's responses so far! These are great; I will reach out directly to confirm whether you're OK with me using parts or all of your response in our eBook.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Live Webinar - Local SEO Audits

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom